Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

St Georges Day

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Two clergymen complained about it, the council explained it to them...and explained to them that Christmas was a central them of the celebrations.... celebrations that would also help profits in a new shopping center. What is there to be wrong about?
People getting uptight about it have their own reasons. With Clergymen, I can see it ie job protectionism. Lets face it, British/English churches are not exactly overflowing with congregations. With others, who knows what their fears are about, although I doubt if its for any religious reasons.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Two clergymen complained about it, the council explained it to them...and explained to them that Christmas was a central them of the celebrations.... celebrations that would also help profits in a new shopping center. What is there to be wrong about?
People getting uptight about it have their own reasons. With Clergymen, I can see it ie job protectionism. Lets face it, British/English churches are not exactly overflowing with congregations. With others, who knows what their fears are about, although I doubt if its for any religious reasons.
wow, you COMPREHENSIVELY demolished my argument there didnt you.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
You haven't got an argument.

It was the Church making a semi-political statement responding to a naff 'Christmas is part of 'Winterval' marketing campaign. Nothing more, nothing less.

How anyone can feel guilty over this meaningless drivel from 13 years ago is beyond me. No-one else does. In fact, no-one else on here feels guilty about celebrating St George's Day on the back of anything anyone may or may not have said, let alone that non-story.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
You haven't got an argument.

It was the Church making a semi-political statement responding to a naff 'Christmas is part of 'Winterval' marketing campaign. Nothing more, nothing less.

How anyone can feel guilty over this meaningless drivel from 13 years ago is beyond me. No-one else does. In fact, no-one else on here feels guilty about celebrating St George's Day on the back of anything anyone may or may not have said, let alone that non-story.
I have provided proof that it was anything but a marketing campaign, all you and dave in prague have provided, are progressively flimsier responses. To be honest i started this thread as a bit of a joke , with other members of NSC ,making odds on the cliche responses about st george being a turk, or how barrel of fun could manage to bring the fact that he had backpacked round south america into it etc etc , I will be celebrating st georges day, but it wouldnt bother me not to, i leave that sort of thing to inferiority complex nations like the scots/irish/welsh.

Last edited:

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Then you haven't understood the story. Everyone else has.

And I don't think you ever will, because it suits you not to.
Show me some proof then , i doubt there is any,in fact im f***ing sure there isnt,because its not true, all i dont understand is why people like you continue to bury their head in the sand.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
I have provided proof that it was anything but a marketing campaign, all you and dave in prague have provided, are progressively flimsier responses. To be honest i started this thread as a bit of a joke , with other members of NSC ,making odds on the cliche responses about st george being a turk, or how barrel of fun could manage to bring the fact that he had backpacked round south america into it etc etc , I will be celebrating st georges day, but it wouldnt bother me not to, i leave that sort of thing to inferiority complex nations like the scots/irish/welsh.

You provided proof?
Your proof provided by the council?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Show me some proof then , i doubt there is any,in fact im f***ing sure there isnt,because its not true, all i dont understand is why people like you continue to bury their head in the sand.

My eyes are wide open, thanks. You're looking for a fantasy which doesn't exist.

I don't have to go on some mad hunt to prove or disprove a non-story to satisfy your wild insecurities. Why? Because there's nothing to find.

Face it, you're using a meaningless, pathetic story to justify your guilt (a sense of guilt no-one else has), and coming on here to grizzle about it. Meanwhile the rest of are perfectly content to celebrate St George's Day safe in the knowledge no-one else gives a shit for some drivel in a city I've never lived in, rarely been to, nor care too much about, from 13 years ago.

alan partridge

Jul 7, 2003
Linton Travel Tavern

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here