Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

St Georges Day

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
This thread is very disappointing, after 60 replies no one has pointed out the missing apostrophe in the title :nono:

I celebrate St George Peppard day on May 8th, the legend's birthday, by donning an over-hugging green dinosaur suit and emerging from the head of it repeatedly, grinning machiavellianly, with a giant cigar smoking from my bitter mouth. I make a gun out of a wrench and two coconuts, shooting people who just won't die, and then drug a large black man. By eveningtime i am completely bladdered and rolling in the street with my privates out, forgetting i am supposed to Peppard it for a day.

MB - as ever the voice of reason in a world gone mad.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Made to feel guilty by the same sort of people who put the ban on baa baa black sheep and who insist on calling christmas "winterval"

No one has ever 'made' me feel guilty. I'm intelligent enough to choose my own emotions, as are most people.

alan partridge

Jul 7, 2003
Linton Travel Tavern
was never even mentioned when i was a kid and you rarely saw a st georges cross. it all feels very forced to me. I am English and everyone round the world knows who the English are. Not knocking anyone who enjoys this new phenomenon but its hardly bonfire night or a proper English tradition.

very true. Although the cubs/scouts do St George's day every year. Crappy little march, those kazoo things. That's all I can think of.

In fact these f***ing threads on NSC have probably more tradition than the modern St George's day parties.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
ahh bless a thread for the message board tamagotchi. It is kind of endearing the way so many people want to keep it alive, but also essentially a little sad....ignore

In common with many people here I will be celebrating Saturday by watching some top quality football.

grummitts gloves

Dec 30, 2008
West Sussex, la,la,la
"I see you stand like greyhounds in the slips,
Straining upon the start. The game's afoot against Southampton
Follow your spirit, and upon this charge
Cry 'God for Harry, England, Gus and Saint George!"

I celebrate it because it's my birthday :clap2::albion1:

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
St Patricks day is a commercial push by the Black Stuff.

Plenty of stuff going on around London and the rest of the country without having to wear a Guinness wig or hat. I feel it is more a case of an imaginary guilt trip as opposed to being made feel guilty.

Who makes you feel guilty, Bushy?

The Americans make a big deal out of St Paddy's as we all know, the irony is that most of the Irish people I've met don't think much of the people who left the Emerald Isle for 'better things'. One thing I've felt about the English for some time is that whilst some nations have a desire to celebrate themselves the English feel that they have no need to. After all, apart from Cantonese Chinese no other language is more widely spoken or used.

'Nuff said.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
May day is a great English holiday with many appalling English traditions around Morris Dancing and May Poles and Jack in the Green celebrations not to mention an enormous piss up. So why threaten to take away a historic English bank holiday and replace it with a day a foreign guy 10,000 miles away killed an imaginary dragon and call it English?

Bring back Bryan wade!!

I wanna caravan for me ma
Jun 28, 2010
Hassocks
I celebrate St George Peppard day on May 8th, the legend's birthday, by donning an over-hugging green dinosaur suit and emerging from the head of it repeatedly, grinning machiavellianly, with a giant cigar smoking from my bitter mouth. I make a gun out of a wrench and two coconuts, shooting people who just won't die, and then drug a large black man. By eveningtime i am completely bladdered and rolling in the street with my privates out, forgetting i am supposed to Peppard it for a day.

You sir, are a genius....

I received an e-mail this morning from a pub near my office, The Albion, offering me a free pint of Bombardier or a gin and tonic tomorrow as an early celebration of St Georges day. Unfortunately, Birmingham city council has made me feel just too guilty to accept. Oh the shame, the shame!

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
May day is a great English holiday with many appalling English traditions around Morris Dancing and May Poles and Jack in the Green celebrations not to mention an enormous piss up. So why threaten to take away a historic English bank holiday and replace it with a day a foreign guy 10,000 miles away killed an imaginary dragon and call it English?

Historic?? It's only been a bank holiday since 1978. BBC - Archive - Bank Holidays - News | Britain's first Official May Day Bank Holiday

Mick Beard BHA

Hirsute
Feb 23, 2004
Back in Brighton

:lolol::lolol::lolol:

Absolutely brilliant

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here