Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

St Georges Day

Don Quixote

Nov 4, 2008
At least St. Patrick is English, St. George isn't even from here. So who is going to be going to church to celebrate the Saint's life?

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
At least St. Patrick is English, St. George isn't even from here. So who is going to be going to church to celebrate the Saint's life?

its all about patrick and george though anyway isnt it. why arent there the hatchet jobs or disinformation on david or andrew too its they get away with it. suppose they just keep themselves to themselves as patron saints and not belligerently insist on a piss up or national holiday, just a nice bit of flora on the lapel. much more classy.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Interval was created by Birmingham business men to maximize profit. The argument about it has long been ditched and seen as nonsense

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Genuine question - why is the Queen always described as German by anti-monarchists when she can trace her Britishness right back to beyond the late-19th century yet the same people are quick to defend first generation immigrants as quintessentially English as us white-trash Sussex yeomen?

And why does it always sound as if they mean the "German" bit as some sort of insult yet cry all sorts of blue murder about other racist epithets?
First question is a fair one. I think it stems from the fact that anti-Royalists have historically been accused of treason or as anti-British for their point of view, so anti-Royalists may feel the need to remind people that the Royal family are not exactly rooted in Britishness themselves. Indeed, their family name of Battenberg was only changed to Mountbatten in view of anti German feeling around the time of the first world war. Throw the public a bone, keep the masses happy and all that.

Your second question is not fair at all. German is not meant as an insult, it's meant to counter the whole "British monarchy" thing. You'll note I also referred to St George as a Turk, which doesn't mean I don't consider him an important English historical figure.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
First question is a fair one. I think it stems from the fact that anti-Royalists have historically been accused of treason or as anti-British for their point of view, so anti-Royalists may feel the need to remind people that the Royal family are not exactly rooted in Britishness themselves. Indeed, their family name of Battenberg was only changed to Mountbatten in view of anti German feeling around the time of the first world war. Throw the public a bone, keep the masses happy and all that.

Your second question is not fair at all. German is not meant as an insult, it's meant to counter the whole "British monarchy" thing. You'll note I also referred to St George as a Turk, which doesn't mean I don't consider him an important English historical figure.
mountbattens name was really battenburg, the royals real name is saxe-coburg.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Ok. Interval was created by the council. Why? To maximize profits in the new shopping center. Not to make nitwits feel their culture is being stolen. As in sure you know, which begs the question, why bring an event that lasted two years quite.some time ago, up again and again?

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
There was a council that did all this.
That is true - although some deny it. There were also schools that banned nativity plays, and when my mum, a former teacher became a School Governor she went on a course where she was told that all 'racist' language had to be removed from the classroom: blackboards had to be called chalkboards, black coffee was coffee 'without milk', etc.

There was one problem with this - it was total 1980s bollocks. The worst of it (but not admittedly all of it) HAS largely died out, helped by Muslim parents insisting that they didn't find Nativity plays insulting and people like the much-maligned Diane Abbot saying that it wasn't racist or anti-black for washing powders to claim that they clean 'whiter than white'.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Ok. Interval was created by the council. Why? To maximize profits in the new shopping center. Not to make nitwits feel their culture is being stolen. As in sure you know, which begs the question, why bring an event that lasted two years quite.some time ago, up again and again?
Really, maximising profits , can you point out in this news report, from the notoriously right wing BBC, where it mentions maximising profits ?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/210672.stm

How far back do would you need to go to be rooted in Britishness then? The Queen can trace direct lineage of British born ancestors all the way to George III in 1738, that's nearly 300 years ago and is nearly as long as the United Kingdom has existed. And I'd add further that her family is instrinsically linked with British History. In fact, the history of the British Royal Family is the history of Britain.

And it's all well and good saying that you mentioned St George is a Turk but it's the context in which German is said invariably followed by mention of a shallow gene pool. I dunno, it just comes across as an insult with heavy racist overtones.

But George III was German. And mad!

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Ok they want to steal Xmas!! Haha the first interval was a success and talk about it was only after a bishop didnt like it. (job protection)
Christmas was also a central theme of the festival. When was the last winterval even? How many years ago?There's plenty of info re this issue on the net.

Last edited:

I won't be celebrating St George's day as (fortunately) we British/English are fortunate that mostly we haven't been forced out of our country/partitioned/persecuted/generally messed about with over the centuries unlike many other countries.

I therefore don't feel the need to make a "song and dance" about it on one day each year to remind me how lucky we are, it doesn't make me any less "patriotic", my definition of this being that you can love one's country without seeing it as an excuse to hate everyone else's.

And as someone has already pointed out, this thread is like the NSC equivalent of the first Cuckoo!

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
Ok they want to steal Xmas!! Haha the first interval was a success and talk about it was only after a bishop didnt like it. (job protection)
Christmas was also a central theme of the festival. When was the last winterval even? How many years ago?There's plenty of info re this issue on the net.

Do you walk in circles with those two left feet? So eager to get your point across that it's not pc. When those of us with half a brain know it is.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Worth noting that St George (assuming he even existed) wasn't English and never visited this country. He's also the patron saint of Aragon, Catalunya, Ethiopia, Georgia, Greece, India, Iraq, Lithuania, Palestine, Portugal, Serbia, Russia, Genoa, Beirut, Freiburg, Kumanovo, Ljubljana, Rio de Janeiro, Barcelona, Moscow and Gozo among a multitude of other places and professions.

Hence the idea of celebrating April 23rd as some kind of celebration purely of Englishness has always struck me as being a wee bit odd.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here