Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

St Georges Day

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Keep believing your Xmas is being stolen haha There's plenty of evidence regarding this issue on the net. If you want it but I think it may confuse your two right feet.
Ps you don't need to convince me that you have half a brain either. There is no left or right concerning this issue, other than idiots being influenced by propaganda from right wing street politicians, and a local church rep despite the wealth of information on the net

Last edited:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
this winterval thing, does it not occur to anyone that it can be both politically correctly driven and intended to boast commerce in the town centre? ie, encourage non-Christian ethnicities to engage in the annual binge of consumerism and over-consumption. after all, its not like most brits actual observe any christian traditions other than the arbitrarily chosen 26th Dec and astronomically transient Chocolate Egg day.

i for one quite like to lightly celerbrate St Georges day. i dont care that he's a turk or even a religious icon. its a place holder in the year on which to celebrate being English, like just about every other nation does (including all the others who have not been subjugated or "messed around" with)

Last edited:

ryeseagull

Feb 26, 2009
United States
First question is a fair one. I think it stems from the fact that anti-Royalists have historically been accused of treason or as anti-British for their point of view, so anti-Royalists may feel the need to remind people that the Royal family are not exactly rooted in Britishness themselves. Indeed, their family name of Battenberg was only changed to Mountbatten in view of anti German feeling around the time of the first world war. Throw the public a bone, keep the masses happy and all that.

Your second question is not fair at all. German is not meant as an insult, it's meant to counter the whole "British monarchy" thing. You'll note I also referred to St George as a Turk, which doesn't mean I don't consider him an important English historical figure.

It goes back much further: to the Hanoverian succession in 1707. Attacking the Crown/Court as Hanoverian, or German, was just a easy slur to use by any group opposed to government in the eighteenth-century. Victoria's marriage to Albert and anti-German feeling in the First World War revived this old theme. Before 1707, it would have been attacks on the Scotch Stuarts.

ryeseagull

Feb 26, 2009
United States
My own feeling on St. George's Day is that it is hard to start a new tradition. I suppose if the government set aside a Bank Holiday, but there are plenty of them in May. The 5th of November is a much better candidate. Protestantism was the basis of English national identity in the seventeenth-century. The true is, as the dominant power in the Union and by extension the Empire, the English never needed a holiday to affirm/preserve their identity.

My own feeling on St. George's Day is that it is hard to start a new tradition. I suppose if the government set aside a Bank Holiday, but there are plenty of them in May. The 5th of November is a much better candidate. Protestantism was the basis of English national identity in the seventeenth-century. The true is, as the dominant power in the Union and by extension the Empire, the English never needed a holiday to affirm/preserve their identity.

That.

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
The true is, as the dominant power in the Union and by extension the Empire, the English never needed a holiday to affirm/preserve their identity.
Indeed. I'm confident in my own personal identity and the Englishness of it. That is its own celebration. I might however choose to mark it on our English king's chosen day, whether it's a holiday or not.

"Winterval '97 ran in Birmingham for six weeks from November 20 to New Year's Day. Its main features were the Frankfurt Christmas Market and outdoor ice rink".

Frankfurt is German! There you see the TRUTH. The Royal Family have hi-jacked Christmas.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
i bet William the conqueror is turning in his grave

A Frenchman is turning in his grave because some people are not celebrating the birthday of a Turk?

Another quality thread by Bushy though, I just don't know how he manages it.

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
How far do you want to go back in History? We all have originated from Romans,Saxons,Vikings,Normans and many other races of people. Oops sorry,I forgot Freda the sheep in Cardiff!

Scampi

One of the Three
Jun 10, 2009
Denton
What a tedious thread. usual straw man argument to start it off followed up by some urban myths.

No one is ever trying to stop St Georges day celebrations but a) some nutters like to think they are, b) Bushy enjoys a good binfest in the spring sunshine.

So in conclusion, pathetic non story, same as last year and the year before.

Oh and while i think about it how can you possibly make this argument in the midst of the Royal Wedding media uberhype.

I got banned last year from NSC for daring to write that there's nothing wrong with flying the Cross of St George and being proud of being English, but how quickly things change!! May be it's because we now have a Tory Government.
Guess who's birthday it is tomorrow 20th April!!

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I celebrate St George Peppard day on May 8th, the legend's birthday, by donning an over-hugging green dinosaur suit and emerging from the head of it repeatedly, grinning machiavellianly, with a giant cigar smoking from my bitter mouth. I make a gun out of a wrench and two coconuts, shooting people who just won't die, and then drug a large black man. By eveningtime i am completely bladdered and rolling in the street with my privates out, forgetting i am supposed to Peppard it for a day.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here