Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sparrow and Vincelot / Poyet weilds axe (SIX merrged threads)

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I rather imagine a series of conversations were had over a spell of time, assessments were made on the main squad who had a chance of playing even on and off, and these two were seen as surplus to requirements and it might be best if they find somewhere to play more regularly. I imagine they would have said outrightly that they want to play and can't be fitted in at present. Exactly like Elphick. The quick decision is to let them go, and even put it in the press to advertise their wares for sale. More discussions will go on behind the scenes with various players and their representatives and we could get rid of more, maybe just on loan to loosen the wagebill, closer to the deadline. We want a full squad now, but it can't always work like that. We mustn't just get ANYONE in to play up front. We have to get the right sort of person. We tried last season to have something of an ox up front and we got two who didn't quite work, so this time it needs to be the best one we can afford and not just a makedo. This might mean a season-long loan, but again this depends on other teams sorting out their squads and making unwanted players available.

In all honesty, i want the defence to be as strong or stronger than last season to mean we're not easy to beat. That means the midfield being harder too. And mobile. Up front we're injured and low in numbers, so yes, something needs to be done, but with a bit of order and belief in the side, we should do fine or better. Let Vicente drop back and collect and begin to thread passes through. Let Noone scarper whilst we have no other options attackingly out wide. Let CMS come back and start charging everyone down for a bit, putting the chances away he did at the start of last year. The ingredients are there. We just need camaraderie, self-belief and a sense of enjoyment in our game to make it all work. That comes from us too, i think. Jeerers and sneerers silence yourselves like the rest of us have had to do to you before.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
Buckley Crofts Vicente Bridcutt Barnes
Striker

There's a five man midfield without Dicker OR Harley.

I wasn't including a winger in the list so then all you've done is drop Barnes into midfield. Barnes is a Striker, we haven't got enough of those so I don't think we can afford to list Barnes as a midfielder. My point was, our options are now very limited. Harley will either play or be on the bench every game. Gus was always apologising last season saying that players like JFC, Sparrow, Vincelot are not involved because of the 5 sub rule. Now it's 7 subs and he wants rid of 2 and loans one out for a season. I just don't get it, sorry folks.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
As has been said, we don't know what goes on in training - but Vincelot and Sparrow have done well where it matters: on the pitch. And the logic of letting Elphick go, saying we need cover in central defence and then declaring a player (Vincelot) who provides exactly that surplus to requirements defeats me somewhat.

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
Exactly. I understand the need to get better if possible but selling Sparrow and Vincelot leaves us short of options in central midfield imho, only logical explanation is that Harley's wages are too high so he can't be sold and that Gus has a central midfielder lined up that he urgently wants signed.

I agree but we need someone to want to buy them before they leave - they could be here a long time before they go? Dont know how it works but would suggest that we probably can re-call JFC at anytime if neeed from his loan?

Whatever the reasons for making it public about Sparrow and Vincelot - i think it is very very strange.

Davemania

Jul 11, 2011
Uckfield
We want shot of Sparrow and Vincelot .... Yet we want to keep Harley and Dicker ?

That's the wrong way round isn't it ?

Exactly, would be an absolute disaster imo to have dicker and harley in central mid all season.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
So our midfield is: Bridcutt, Crofts, Vicente and Dicker or Harley. That's it, no other options now. So it's Dicker or Harley all the time as Gus only ever plays 1 winger. Sorry but that looks weaker to me than last year. What if Crofts or Bridcutt gets injured? We're f***ed.

You do know we have the opportunity to replace them? The transfer window IS still open. As I indicated further up this thread, I'm guessing those that come in will be of a superior quality to those being shipped out.

Either way, these threads have great potential for bouncing later in the season, whatever happens!

This news, coupled with the result last night have sent a few people over the edge already, seemingly, which doesn't bode well for the coming months.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
I can't believe some people are daring to question the Lord.

How very dare you all.

Off course he's right to get rid of Sparrow and Vincelot. Their both complete shit. If the Lord wants them out, thats good enough for me.

Harley and Dicker are the way forward. They are brilliant players.

It was the referees fault last night for giving Swindon the free kick when and where he did. Christ why can't people see that. Okay they may have scored three times, but they were all lucky. Besides, we're not going to play a teams as good as Swindon every week.

Dicker/Harley/Barnes in midfield. How could you want for more. Remember where we were 14 years ago. f***ing hell 150 years ago we didn't even have a team. Be grateful for where we are now.

Okay, some may critise the fact we only have a couple of on target shots a game and dont score many goals.

But footballs not all about goals is it. The main aim of football is not to conceed isn't it. Far more entertaining watching the defenders pass the ball around amongst themselves, rather than keep jumping up in your seat every 5 minutes. Plus its good for the heart. Don't want to much exectiment on a Saturday afternoon do you. No, you can't beat a good game of football chess.

So please don't critise Poyet. He knows what he's doing. if we upset him, he'll walk off into a premiership job tomorrow, so be nice. Its the best style of football we have ever seen at the club and we are lucky to have a man of great vision.

Okay our away record is 3 wins in 23, but thats just minor details. Not important. Move on. We still have a shiney Stadium that Gus built in 6 days on his own.

Its the taking part that counts.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
This news, coupled with the result last night have sent a few people over the edge already, seemingly, which doesn't bode well for the coming months.
I think its this news, coupled with the result last night, trebled with our end of season form is what is starting to send people over the edge. I went over the edge months ago. I'm sitting at the bottom waiting for everyone else to turn up! Start to get crowded down here :lol:

scooter1

How soon is now?
I'm surprised at Vincelot, I would have hung onto him for his versatility. And if he doesn't find a club I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up on the bench when the bookings and injuries start to mount up. IMHO Sparrow blew it when he got sent off at Forest. Neither of them have great disciplinary records, and I don't think this will have helped.
We all know that Poyet likes Dicker - I can't see why myself, I think he's a liability but I don't pick the team. I think both Dicker and Harley will spend much of this coming season either on the bench or in the stands.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Would you pick harley or dicker or prefer a choice of sparrow or vincelot?

Off course he's right to get rid of Sparrow and Vincelot.

Harley and Dicker are the way forward. They are brilliant players.

IF Gus doesn't see a place for Vincelot or Sparrow, then we should move them on to save the wages. How you rate them to the other two isn't really relevant. I'm sure he'll have his thoughts on those too. You're both assuming no movement IN, in the midfield department.

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
Quite happy to let Sparrow go, but throws Calde in at Centre Mid instead? Hummmm.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Calderon ahead of them as a central midfielder? Both on the way to free up wages for the gem signing

We only need 25 senior professionals. I think I prefer Sparrow to Dicker, but if Harley, Dicker, and Sparrow all went I would not be disapointed as the departure of Navarro.

nick1984

Apr 9, 2012
Personally feel sorry for Sparrow and Vincelot when they are clearly far more talented than Painter, Dicker and Harley. BTW how is Harley still playing for us everytime I see him play he doesn't seem interested.

Aside I can't wait to see Crofts come into the Midfield with Bridcutt and Vicente (prefer to see Vicente behind the front two).

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
IF Gus doesn't see a place for Vincelot or Sparrow, then we should move them on to save the wages. How you rate them to the other two isn't really relevant. I'm sure he'll have his thoughts on those too. You're both assuming no movement IN, in the midfield department.

i tend to agree with you that there would hopefully be replacemetns coming in - but reading what GP says in the argus - we aint got no money.....

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
i tend to agree with you that there would hopefully be replacemetns coming in - but reading what GP says in the argus - we aint got no money.....
Which is amazing when you consider after smashing the transfer record for CMS last season, it was said to expect it to be broken again shortly. Falmer filled up beyond everyones wildest dreams, yet this summer we have had to settle for loans and freebies, and an undisclosed Crofts. After equaling/breaking our transfer record three times last summer and seeing us destroyed 6-0 by West Ham with about £300k of talent on the pitch and £5million on the bench, maybe someone feels someone isn't making use of the funds.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here