Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sparrow and Vincelot / Poyet weilds axe (SIX merrged threads)

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
Too late in what respect? None of us have any idea when he was offered his new deal. All we have is the date when the club made public that he had a deal on the table, and had not signed it. He may have been sitting on it for months (in the knowledge that he had options elsewhere).

It was very near the end of his contact; and I know that for a fact.

huge

Mar 23, 2011
I'm surprised about Romain being on the shit list. He's looked ok on the field but maybe he doesn't pull his weight in training?

I did wonder if Gus is just looking to off load players who are on the shortest time left on contracts? Would be interesting to see if that is the case. Could see a lot of squad going next year too?

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
This is all very confusing JFC out on season loan. sparrow out!?!? Vincelot out !?!? And Harley and dicker stay?
Elphick out !?!? Cook out !?!? No CB coming in? It's just all a bit wierd. If Sparrow has only just found that out then that's bang out of order!

I can't understand, after being knocked out out the league cup with a terrible performance from Dicker&Harley, that suddenly the two players he should have been playing instead, are told they are up for the chop.

I'm mean WTF??

Greavsey

Jul 4, 2007
Sparrows Tweet:

Matty Sparrow ‏[MENTION=24657]matty[/MENTION]Sparrow10
Well u find out something new everyday...

Think this is exactly one of the reasons why he wants Sparrow out over what we might perceive as players with less ability. He has a reputation for being a bit of a boy about town, and as we saw with the Dickenson, Tunnicliffe possé Gus doesn't stand for that!

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
I would prefer to have sparrow than Harley

totally this, Spaz may be a bit hit and miss, but he had a good patch last season, scored a couple and he's not afraid to put himself about. He can be quite good when his form is good, he's better overall than Dicker imho

Ryan Harley has done NOTHING except 1 free kick, he's utter dog shite, weak, a complete bottler and waste of space

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
If its to do with freeing up wages I wouldn't expect vincelot is on a lot and Harley is on about 7k why won't harley go he's like the 15 year old cat that won't die/go away

sir danny cullip

Feb 14, 2004
Burgess Hill
Think this is exactly one of the reasons why he wants Sparrow out over what we might perceive as players with less ability. He has a reputation for being a bit of a boy about town, and as we saw with the Dickenson, Tunnicliffe possé Gus doesn't stand for that!

You say that but if you're suggesting Sparrow is a 'boy around town' for tweeting what he thinks then the same applies to Hoskins, Noone and many others all of whom Poyet signed (including Sparrow). The difference between Sparrow and the ones you mention is that Poyet didn't sign them.

NorthStandN1A

Aug 1, 2011
Hove
Is it just me or does anyone else feel that Gus has made a big mistake here. Aside from the "it should be Harley & Dicker" comments, how can Gus publicly slag off two players he wants rid of. How is this going to attract interest from other clubs?

Greavsey

Jul 4, 2007
You say that but if you're suggesting Sparrow is a 'boy around town' for tweeting what he thinks then the same applies to Hoskins, Noone and many others all of whom Poyet signed (including Sparrow). The difference between Sparrow and the ones you mention is that Poyet didn't sign them.

Yep and I think Hoskins would have also gone in this window had he stayed fit, for, amongst other things, his Twitter rants. When has Noone ever come out on Twitter making a self serving statement like that? Can't remember it even when he was on the verge of a move to Cardiff...

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
Why now? Why axe them now? They didn't play last night so there's no fall out from that.
It doesn't make sense.

f***ing Harley, he had a real chance to shine last night and did f*** all as usual.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Why now? Why axe them now? They didn't play last night so there's no fall out from that.
It doesn't make sense.

f***ing Harley, he had a real chance to shine last night and did f*** all as usual.

Maybe, just maybe, because at this stage of the pre-season/season players should be putting in 110% and working hard, and possibly they are not.

Pinkie Brown

Wir Sind das Volk
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR 🇩🇪
This will sound like a stuck record, but the decision to basically tell Sparrow & Vincelot, they are not welcome is bizarre. Harley & Dicker simply aren't up to Championship quality. Sparrow in particular, had a good season when he returned to the team.

Another alternative theory? Is this Gus trying some reverse psychology on these two players? Tell them they're not wanted, then see if they have the drive & willpower to prove him wrong? I think 'the problems' are more likely down to personality clashes or training ground issue's, rather than ability on the pitch?

Whatever, I'm sure we don't know the full picture.

sir danny cullip

Feb 14, 2004
Burgess Hill
Yep and I think Hoskins would have also gone in this window had he stayed fit, for, amongst other things, his Twitter rants. When has Noone ever come out on Twitter making a self serving statement like that? Can't remember it even when he was on the verge of a move to Cardiff...

Being forced out and being offered the option of a lucrative move to Cardiff are two very different things. From what I have seen Sparrow has been the ultimate pro since his arrival, you're suggesting he's a bit of a 'bad egg' that needs getting rid of but he's one of Gus' signings. He may not quite have lived up to the performance levels Gus expects but I can't imagine he's being forced out due to some kind of attitude problem.

NickBHAFC18

Feb 24, 2012
Brighton
Is it just me or does anyone else feel that Gus has made a big mistake here. Aside from the "it should be Harley & Dicker" comments, how can Gus publicly slag off two players he wants rid of. How is this going to attract interest from other clubs?

Gus hasn't publicly slagged them off, he has just told the truth. He's said they can stay, but they should be looking elsewhere if they want regular game time. I think that's a fair statement as "harsh" at it may seem.

sir danny cullip

Feb 14, 2004
Burgess Hill

On Hoskins I think you're right, Gus has never accepted his willingness to jump ship to Sheff Utd when he did.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
Maybe, just maybe, because at this stage of the pre-season/season players should be putting in 110% and working hard, and possibly they are not.

Harley puts in 110%?

I can only go on what I see on the pitch, Spaz and Vince show alot more passion and effort than Harley or Dicker.

Gus has had a whole season with them last year. He should know who puts in a shift and who doesn't.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here