Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sparrow and Vincelot / Poyet weilds axe (SIX merrged threads)

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
Neither are on their way. The tweet from Andy Naylor was going for sensationalism. The guys a prat, we should all know that by now. Gus simply wanted to reward some of the youngsters who performed in preseason and the opportunity didn't come better than against supposed weaker opposition. They'll be both be back in and around the squad and are both valued.

You would appear to be not even slightly ITK according to the Argus quoting Gus this morning. Although why he wants to keep Harley over either of those two is a f***ing mystery.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
It could of course be that Dicker and Harley were played by Gus so he could see whether they were up to the job. Last chance saloon and all that! I certainly see Sparrow and Vincelot as better players, albeit in a different mould, than Dicker and Harley, and probably far more versatile, especially Vincelot.

nevergoagain

Jul 28, 2005
nowhere near Burgess Hill
Not according to argus today, with quotes from Gus

I don't get this, Vincelot is a more than useful squad player. I know who I'd rather have out of Vincelot and Harley any day.

The quote in the Argus is "It is going to be very difficult for Matt and Romain to play and if they want to stay at the football club they are professional, we will pay them, but if they want to look after their futures they need to move on". Not going to do a lot for their morale.

Bra

Feb 21, 2009
patcham
could not have been any worse than Harley or dicker last night. Have also thought these would be useful squad players

D

Deleted member 2719

Gus has told them they have no future at the club and are free to look elsewhere or just run their contracts down

Sparrow and Vincelot are better than Dicker and Harley surely Gus is going to keep the better players for the squad.

I hope they not going, when did Gus say that???

Biancazzurro

Aug 9, 2011
Hassocks
Very disappointing, I was hoping that Dicker's time was up, he's dreadful. I really rate Vincelot, he can play almost anywhere and is much better than Dicker.

D

Deleted member 2719

Very disappointing, I was hoping that Dicker's time was up, he's dreadful. I really rate Vincelot, he can play almost anywhere and is much better than Dicker.

Makes you wonder whether it is a personality thing rather than ability.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
If true, the decision about Vincelot is one of Gus's more stupid ones. The guy has never been given a chance for a regular run in the team and I very much like what I have seen of him.

It would rank up there with letting Hall go (better than either of our central defenders last night) ... and letting Cook go.

Gus, the glow is wearing off.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Why does everyone go mad about Vincelot? I've never got it. What has he ever done for us to make people believe he's the next coming of Jesus?

I'm not slagging him off I just don't understand all the praise.

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
Sparrow & vincelot told they can go

Surely dicker and Harley should be shown the door first ?

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
P1090071edit.jpg
Sparrow and Vincelot are better than Dicker and Harley surely Gus is going to keep the better players for the squad.

I hope they not going, when did Gus say that???

Argus this morning.

Last edited:

Decode

Jan 25, 2010
Can understand Vincelot, main position fullback and we just brought two in, i'd be inclined to get rid of Painter though. And with 7 subs, his versatility isn't as strong a factor.

Sparrow is a stranger one, that sending off against Saints really seems to have cost him. Obviously rather have him than Harley.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I wonder sometimes about Gus' reasoning. Unless something has happened on the training ground he does make some bizarre decisions. I think it's obvious to many that Dicker falls well short of a Championship player, Harley is just not interested in being a professional footballer, he sends two of our best young midfielders out on long term loans, yet tells Sparrow and Vincelot they have no future with us. Vincelot is such a versatile player I find that incredible.

It was obvious from last night that without Crofts we will again struggle in midfield and it would have been a perfect chance for Forster-Caskey to shine but alas he's not here.

cocamalia

Jan 1, 2011
I feel quite strongly about this one. I would be intriguied to find out why Gus wants to sell Vincelot. To me, he is consistently a standout performer whenever and wherever he plays. For example, even at left back I feel he is a classier and more consistent performer than Painter. And in midfield he had plenty of energy, is good in the air and can knick a few goals.

Surely if Gus wants them out then our asking price would not be too high and would represent a fantastic piece of business for most Championship squads - one should not forget he bagged 10+ goals in a very poor league 1 team before he signed for us.

culvers

Jul 6, 2003
Sutton
The Dicker / Harley debate aside I wonder why this has come about now. Perhaps Gus wanted to give them a pre season to prove themselves, but surely would have been better for all to "wield the axe" earlier on in the summer, to give Sparrow and Vincelot more time to find a club and any replacements time to settle in here.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here