Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sparrow and Vincelot / Poyet weilds axe (SIX merrged threads)

7:18

Brighton & Hove Albion
Aug 6, 2006
Brighton, England
not surprised about Sparrow (thought he would have gone when Navarro did) but really surprised and a bit let down about Vincelot...never got a chance to really prove himself, and every time he came on, he performed well no matter what the position he was asked to play.

sir danny cullip

Feb 14, 2004
Burgess Hill
I feel quite strongly about this one. I would be intriguied to find out why Gus wants to sell Vincelot. To me, he is consistently a standout performer whenever and wherever he plays. For example, even at left back I feel he is a classier and more consistent performer than Painter. And in midfield he had plenty of energy, is good in the air and can knick a few goals.

Surely if Gus wants them out then our asking price would not be too high and would represent a fantastic piece of business for most Championship squads - one should not forget he bagged 10+ goals in a very poor league 1 team before he signed for us.

110% this, if he's looking to free up wages get rid of Painter and have Calde/Vincelot as left back options as both are better than Painter. Vincelot is very, very capable in every position across the back and also in central midfield (back up for Bridcutt or further forward), getting rid of him will certainly weaken the squad imho.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
but really surprised and a bit let down about Vincelot...never got a chance to really prove himself, and every time he came on, he performed well no matter what the position he was asked to play.

This isn't entirely true, to be honest.

Vincelot had some really good games, but history is being rewritten by some on here.

He cost us three points against Burnley with a stupid act of petulance, and when he had a chance of a full game at right back (meant to be his main position) at Wrexham, he was shockingly poor.

PriapismBoy

Apr 18, 2011
Durrington
Poyet will wield the axe

Poyet will wield the axe From The Argus)

Albion boss Gus Poyet has told Matt Sparrow and Romain Vincelot their futures lie away from Albion.

Midfielder Sparrow and versatile Frenchman Vincelot were both left out of the squad for last night’s 3-0 exit from the Capital One Cup at Swindon, which was compounded by two goals for ex-Seagull Alan Navarro.

Poyet revealed to The Argus: “We are trying to make things clear when we said previously that there are players that need to move on and we need to make sure we start acting, because we have been too nice.

“It is going to be very difficult for Matt and Romain to play and if they want to stay at the football club they are professional, we will pay them, but if they want to look after their futures they need to move on.”

Albion’s defeat by the League One newcomers in the opening game of the season, after controlling the game in the first half, emphasised Poyet’s desperation to land a target man.

Vicente was used as a makeshift central striker again, with Craig Mackail-Smith still injured, and the bench had to be filled out by development squad forwards Brennan Dickenson and Charlie Oatway junior.

Poyet said: “In a game like that where you are going to have two or three opportunities, not even clear chances, you need a special player who is going to hit the target and score a goal and we cannot get it.

“You have to pay for that and we are not in those terms. I know I keep repeating it and I don’t want it to sound like an excuse but we are not a team with plenty of money.

“We are different and when we are at our best and paying attention we can compete. When we go to sleep, like for the first goal, or there are things we don’t do right like the second goal, then you are going to lose games no matter who you play against.”

Poyet hopes to have Mackail-Smith available for Saturday’s first Championship fixture at Hull but he will be without the injured Will Buckley and Kazenga LuaLua.

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
Really feel for them both. Sparrow was class second half of last season up to his silly red card and Vincelot has always peformed really well whenever he has had the chance to play. Dicker has had numerous chances to play but doesn't look like he is ever going to perform at this standard and would be much happier if it was him Gus was referring to

Yoda

English & European
Sparrow biggest flaw is that he cannot defend set pieces, never able to mark who he's been assigned, and so is always left as our player furthest up the field. Got told this at the start of last season by someone who worked at the club (unfortunatly was let go when the new medical team came in)

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
Is he blinded by Harley honestly whenever he under performs he doesn't see it then gets rid of sparrow and vincelot

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
really surprized.

Harley got subsituted last night for another abject performance and we had calderon in midfield for the last 20 mins or so.

Vincelot a good squad player and versitile.

I guess i dont know anything about footy.

Harley should be told to look else where for employment.

If Vincelot and Sparrow and bought by other clubs i think it leaves us light in midfield....

confused.com

D

Deleted member 18477

dont get this. i know i shouldnt be... but i'm concerned now. JFC loaned out... sparrow and vincelot to go? we only have 3 decent CM's now. harley is shit, dicker isnt much better. weird gus, weird.

Greavsey

Jul 4, 2007
I think clearly Gus has told them both earlier in the summer that they're not needed, and Gus wants their wages to use for another player before the end of the transfer window. He's now publicly making a point of excluding them to the extent that we had no midfield cover on the bench last night.

This smells of other 'lesser' clubs coming in for these two players specifically, who Spadge and Vincelot turned down preferring to wait for a better offer or hope that the situation changes at the club. By making this public Gus is clearly trying to force them out of the club in the next couple of weeks in order to use their wages/transfer fees elsewhere.

For what it's worth I think he'd gladly accept offers for Harley too, just perhaps there haven't been the offers that there may have been for Sparrow and Vincelot.

c0lz

North East Stand.
Jan 26, 2010
Patcham/Brighton
The Dicker / Harley debate aside I wonder why this has come about now. Perhaps Gus wanted to give them a pre season to prove themselves, but surely would have been better for all to "wield the axe" earlier on in the summer, to give Sparrow and Vincelot more time to find a club and any replacements time to settle in here.

Reading the Argus it sounds like they were told before.

Poyet revealed to The Argus: “We are trying to make things clear when we said previously that there are players that need to move on and we need to make sure we start acting, because we have been too nice.

“It is going to be very difficult for Matt and Romain to play and if they want to stay at the football club they are professional, we will pay them, but if they want to look after their futures they need to move on.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I think clearly Gus has told them both earlier in the summer that they're not needed, and Gus wants their wages to use for another player before the end of the transfer window. He's now publicly making a point of excluding them to the extent that we had no midfield cover on the bench last night.

This smells of other 'lesser' clubs coming in for these two players specifically, who Spadge and Vincelot turned down preferring to wait for a better offer or hope that the situation changes at the club. By making this public Gus is clearly trying to force them out of the club in the next couple of weeks in order to use their wages/transfer fees elsewhere.

For what it's worth I think he'd gladly accept offers for Harley too, just perhaps there haven't been the offers that there may have been for Sparrow and Vincelot.

This

Bridcutt

Aug 10, 2011
From [MENTION=24657]matty[/MENTION]Sparrow10 on Twitter

"Well u find out something new everyday..."

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
We really should have tried to ship out some of these players earlier in the transfer window to free up the wage budget, bit of a shame it has been left so late. We all know Dicker, Harley Sparrow and the now departed Navarro weren't particularly up for this league.

None of them are terrible but they are just so mediocre for a team wanting to get promotion.

I actually really like Sparrow, he's a very good player on his day but far too inconsistent to be given a regular place in the team.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here