Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sparrow and Vincelot / Poyet weilds axe (SIX merrged threads)

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
If its to do with freeing up wages I wouldn't expect vincelot is on a lot and Harley is on about 7k why won't harley go ?

Harley why hasn't he gone

You've answered your own question. If he's done nothing to show he's worth that, then no other club will offer him similar, so why would you expect him to walk away from a couple of years contract?

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
The timing is bizarre. Has something happened behind the scenes which we don't know about? Otherwise why wait until 3 days before the start of the league campaign to announce this when you've had all summer to assess, strengthen? Leaves us looking short in midfield unless a new midfielder is coming in plus a striker plus centre half, and from what we know, the budget is already stretched?

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Either way, it's a certainty that Gus has a few important lessons to learn on and off the field.
A very young and naive, albeit talented manager.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
This is all utter bollocks. There is no defending Gus on this. If the team had won convincingly with a brace from Harley last night, then ok. Gus could make a statement saying they might find it hard to play.
But our midfield was total shite, then Gus goes over the top and tells two players that weren't even involved, to find other clubs.

Bad management I'm afraid, and I love Gus.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
If its to do with freeing up wages I wouldn't expect vincelot is on a lot and Harley is on about 7k why won't harley go he's like the 15 year old cat that won't die/go away

Oh dear. :rolleyes:

ps When do the kids go back to school?

Seaber

Oct 20, 2010
Wales
I think it's strange people are questioning Dicker's efforts. He clearly works hard and likes it here. Harley I'm not so sure about, but Dicker seems like a good professional. His abilities are another matter though.

Maybe Vincelot's utility duties have been taken over by Calderon, and Sparrow has not looked up to it?

Would be a shame to see those two leave, when I'm still not convinced about Harley.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Something must be going on that we dont know about. Not totally surprised they are being shown the door, but Harley and Dicker should be out instead if anything - this was proved last night !!!

Brilliant timing too, 3 days before the beginning of the season :facepalm:

PottowSeagull

Mar 20, 2012
I think it is simply a case of Harley having longer on his contract, so Sparrow has to go... Feel for Romain though, I thought with all our injuries around Wrexham last year, he put in some big shifts. Also absolutely loved his header from one of our rare set piece goals last season... With regard to Harley though... what a useless toss pot. But in Gus We Trust, all on the bus to Hull, hopefully with a striker!!!!!! COME ON EMILE!!!!!!!!

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Looks like some of the more mysterious and bizarre aspects of Poyet's management technique are still with us.It could be an interesting season!

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Matty Sparrow ‏[MENTION=24657]matty[/MENTION]Sparrow10
Well u find out something new everyday...

Should we be reading anything into this ? Posted on Twitter 40 mins ago.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
So our midfield is: Bridcutt, Crofts, Vicente and Dicker or Harley. That's it, no other options now. So it's Dicker or Harley all the time as Gus only ever plays 1 winger. Sorry but that looks weaker to me than last year. What if Crofts or Bridcutt gets injured? We're f***ed.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
Matty Sparrow ‏[MENTION=24657]matty[/MENTION]Sparrow10
Well u find out something new everyday...

Should we be reading anything into this ? Posted on Twitter 40 mins ago.

Only that he found out reading the Argus. We all assumed that when Naylor tweeted Gus was unhappy with 2 players, it was 2 that played last night.
Something has happened or it's just poor management.

sir danny cullip

Feb 14, 2004
Burgess Hill
So our midfield is: Bridcutt, Crofts, Vicente and Dicker or Harley. That's it, no other options now. So it's Dicker or Harley all the time as Gus only ever plays 1 winger. Sorry but that looks weaker to me than last year. What if Crofts or Bridcutt gets injured? We're f***ed.

Exactly. I understand the need to get better if possible but selling Sparrow and Vincelot leaves us short of options in central midfield imho, only logical explanation is that Harley's wages are too high so he can't be sold and that Gus has a central midfielder lined up that he urgently wants signed.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
It's heartening to read all this Gus is wrong/doesn't know what he's doing/we need Yaya f***ing Toure in the middle of the park-type-knee-jerk-crap. I'm amazed some of you haven't blazed a trail in the ol' management game with your wealth of inside information & tactical nous. One minute we're world-beaters because we stuffed the European Cup holders in a pre-season kickabout: & a week or so on we're useless also-rans with undervalued squad members who should be drafted into the starting 11 asap.

Bag of shite.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
The timing is bizarre. Has something happened behind the scenes which we don't know about? Otherwise why wait until 3 days before the start of the league campaign to announce this when you've had all summer to assess, strengthen? Leaves us looking short in midfield unless a new midfielder is coming in plus a striker plus centre half, and from what we know, the budget is already stretched?

Assume we need to free up the wage bill by shipping some players out.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
disappointed with this news to be honest. Like many others I would prefer Sparrow to Harley / Dicker.
During the Vicente saga, a lot of people were saying we didnt win with him in the team the last 8 matches so he cant be that great etc - surely Dicker played a bigger part in that poor run than Vicente did as he came straight back into the team after a long lay off & did NOTHING? Looked totally out of sorts in those matches and didnt deserve his place in the team in my opinion. Cannot hold on to the ball, passes go astray too often, never seems bothered about getting back & tackling - and seems scared to move forward over the half way line when he does get the ball. Last night at one point when Swindon attacked, he & Harley just jogged back while they waltzed through the middle. Spadge seems to have more tenacity and an eye for goal than Dicker ever will. I know which I'd prefer in the team....

westy

Jul 25, 2003

My thoughts exactly. Strange time to offload players, leaves us short of cover in MF to say the least.

Greavsey

Jul 4, 2007
Can this thread just be closed please!? Astounded by the level of Fuckwittery and not understanding the bleeding bloody obvious on this topic!

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Buckley Crofts Vicente Bridcutt Barnes
.......................Striker......................

There's a five man midfield without Dicker OR Harley.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here