Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sparrow and Vincelot / Poyet weilds axe (SIX merrged threads)

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Which is amazing when you consider after smashing the transfer record for CMS last season, it was said to expect it to be broken again shortly. Falmer filled up beyond everyones wildest dreams, yet this summer we have had to settle for loans and freebies, and an undisclosed Crofts. After equaling/breaking our transfer record three times last summer and seeing us destroyed 6-0 by West Ham with about £300k of talent on the pitch and £5million on the bench, maybe someone feels someone isn't making use of the funds.

Do you ever have anything positive to say about this football club?

Jeez.

OSRGull

Jan 20, 2011
N1A
Haven't gone through the whole thread and don't know the reason Sparrow and Vincelot have been targetted but they are the two better midfielders out of Harley, Dicker, Sparrow and Vincelot...

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
Which is amazing when you consider after smashing the transfer record for CMS last season, it was said to expect it to be broken again shortly. Falmer filled up beyond everyones wildest dreams, yet this summer we have had to settle for loans and freebies, and an undisclosed Crofts. After equaling/breaking our transfer record three times last summer and seeing us destroyed 6-0 by West Ham with about £300k of talent on the pitch and £5million on the bench, maybe someone feels someone isn't making use of the funds.

Maybe the wages of Katspack, Bridge, Bruno & Crofts are pretty high and therefore we have less to spend on transfer fees?

Iamapen15

May 17, 2009
Back of the North Stand
Not according to argus today, with quotes from Gus

You would appear to be not even slightly ITK according to the Argus quoting Gus this morning. Although why he wants to keep Harley over either of those two is a f***ing mystery.

Does make me look a little foolish, but I never claimed to know more than anybody else on this subject. It was just as I saw it.

Now I did hear that we wanted to strengthen the midfield further (by bring somebody in on loan) but chose not to share this as I didn't know who we were after. Funnily enough though, the play I was told was surplus was Dicker, which is wrong again!

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Maybe the wages of Katspack, Bridge, Bruno & Crofts are pretty high and therefore we have less to spend on transfer fees?

Exactly, the money spent on wages has clearly eaten into the budget.
Throw around hefty signing on fees, to make up for a slightly lower weekly wage that other sides were offering and its pretty obvious to me.

Iamapen15

May 17, 2009
Back of the North Stand

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
The season proper hasn't even started yet and Gus is whingeing about money, f*** a duck does this bloke ever stop complaining about funds. Maybe if he got rid of some of the dead wood that HE bought into the club, it may free up some funds for other players. Harley, Sparrow, Dicker, Brezovan, Painter, Vincelot...That's more than half a team straight away and between the lot of them surely two good wage packets for some quality. Although i'm not sure Gus is the best judge of a player anyway.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
I can't believe some people are daring to question the Lord.

How very dare you all.

Off course he's right to get rid of Sparrow and Vincelot. Their both complete shit. If the Lord wants them out, thats good enough for me.

Harley and Dicker are the way forward. They are brilliant players.

It was the referees fault last night for giving Swindon the free kick when and where he did. Christ why can't people see that. Okay they may have scored three times, but they were all lucky. Besides, we're not going to play a teams as good as Swindon every week.

Dicker/Harley/Barnes in midfield. How could you want for more. Remember where we were 14 years ago. f***ing hell 150 years ago we didn't even have a team. Be grateful for where we are now.

Okay, some may critise the fact we only have a couple of on target shots a game and dont score many goals.

But footballs not all about goals is it. The main aim of football is not to conceed isn't it. Far more entertaining watching the defenders pass the ball around amongst themselves, rather than keep jumping up in your seat every 5 minutes. Plus its good for the heart. Don't want to much exectiment on a Saturday afternoon do you. No, you can't beat a good game of football chess.

So please don't critise Poyet. He knows what he's doing. if we upset him, he'll walk off into a premiership job tomorrow, so be nice. Its the best style of football we have ever seen at the club and we are lucky to have a man of great vision.

Okay our away record is 3 wins in 23, but thats just minor details. Not important. Move on. We still have a shiney Stadium that Gus built in 6 days on his own.

Its the taking part that counts.

Great post,,,,only wrong thing is, he couldn't walk into a prem job tomorrow. If he could he would already be there. Poyet's stock must be falling fast after the end of last season. From 4th to 11th in the space of a month???...That's the one thing we have in our favour, Poyet needs to raise his stock again before anyone will touch him, which means get some results and that's good for us. If we fail, then Poyet fails end of story.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
The season proper hasn't even started yet and Gus is whingeing about money, f*** a duck does this bloke ever stop complaining about funds.

He does talk a lot about funds, doesn't he. Still, not half as often as you like to take pot shots at him.

Maybe if he got rid of some of the dead wood that HE bought into the club, it may free up some funds for other players. Harley, Sparrow, Dicker, Brezovan, Painter, Vincelot...That's more than half a team straight away and between the lot of them surely two good wage packets for some quality.

He didn't bring Dicker to the club. Of the others they have all played their part in taking this club from the dregs of League one to aspirations of the premier league. Apart from Harley. He's been a bit duff so far.

Although i'm not sure Gus is the best judge of a player anyway.

Who is?

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside

Well I - for one - would really appreciate it if you could balance some of your anti-Poyet rants with a hearty smattering of positivity. If football management was easy, every bugger would be doing it wouldn't they? :wink:

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Sparrow is behind Vicente and Crofts for the 1 attacking midfielder spot.

2 spots deeper..... 1 filled by Bridcutt..........But the main point is if this is where we need some wages for one great player alongside Bridders for example McEacheren from Chelsea. Then Dicker and Harley are clearly Gus's prefered options for back-up here rather than Sparrow or Vincelot.

Vicente........................................Crofts
Bridcutt+McEacheren...............Dicker+Harley

My guess is one of Dicker or Harley will stay past Xmas and the other will make way for JFC in the rotation. Spaz and Vincelot already not needed.

Last edited:

Iamapen15

May 17, 2009
Back of the North Stand

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
Well I - for one - would really appreciate it if you could balance some of your anti-Poyet rants with a hearty smattering of positivity. If football management was easy, every bugger would be doing it wouldn't they? :wink:
Bruno looks a f***ing class signing. Bridge looked a class above last night. Tony Bloom is a great chairman. I love The Amex. Gus Poyet is could become an all time great manager. I think I've posted a smattering of them in the last 24 hours. It's not just Poyet tactics thats the issue. Its the fact he won't change them week after week after week when results confirm that they are not working, and if a first division side can pick us off 3-0, Tony help us if he sticks with this for much longer.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Does seem curious that Sparrow and Vincelot are out of favour, I tend to agree that they wouldn't have been the first names that come to mind and that while their names might not be automatically on the teamsheet they would be good squad players. We do need a strong squad to compete all season. I also think last nights result while not a disaster, was a useful reality check after some impressive pre-season results that maybe massaged some of our limitations. Hopefully it will do us a favour.

I am another fan of JFC and would like to see him get more of a chance especially instead of Dicker. I think he would be sharper and maybe more hungry to prove himself. Plus with JFC already being on our books that's one less signing to make.

I can understand Gus talking down his transfer budget, it makes sense that our wage bill will have increased with the arrival of certain players and secondly we are not willing to compete with some of the figures thrown around by those clubs armed with the parachute money. I still think many other Clubs and players agents also view us as being minted by comparison to many rivals so are looking to get top dollar out of us. I can see Tony Bloom playing hardball and Gus having to downplay the budget. Maybe the Sparrow / Vincelot thing is also partly about reducing the wage bill before Gus can spend the sort of money he wants?

I have faith that TB and GP have a few things up their sleeves but might take a little longer in the transfer window to materialise.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here