Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sparrow and Vincelot / Poyet weilds axe (SIX merrged threads)

Don Tmatter

Jul 7, 2003
dont matter
Wasnt Vincelot mentioned as a makeweight in a deal for Trotter, when the Trotter rumour first sprung up? Could that be resurrected?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
The weird thing is the numbers don't stack up. Navarro was released, JFC loaned out, Harley and Dicker have never convinced in the Championship, Noone has lost form, Vicente is injury-prone and now Sparrow and Vincelot have no future.

I'm sure Gus is working on bringing players in as we speak, but in terms of quality it would appear we are at least two players light in midfield.

Sparrow was brought in to replace Crofts when he left for Norwich so now he's back, Sparrow (who is too fond of getting red cards & can be very anonymous in games) is surplus to requirements. As for Vincelot, it looks like Calderon has taken over as utility player.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
Sparrow was brought in to replace Crofts when he left for Norwich so now he's back, Sparrow (who is too fond of getting red cards & can be very anonymous in games) is surplus to requirements. As for Vincelot, it looks like Calderon has taken over as utility player.
Seeeeee. You can talk sense when you put your mind to it. I knew you had it in you sport!! :lol:

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Lets hope so Twinkle. Lets hope so.

Indeed. :thumbsup:

Edit: Otherwise I'll go into meltdown too when it all goes tits-up - & I'll probs be needing you to bring me back from 'the NSC edge'! :lolol:

Last edited:

k2bluesky

Sep 22, 2008
Brighton
I think clearly Gus has told them both earlier in the summer that they're not needed, and Gus wants their wages to use for another player before the end of the transfer window. He's now publicly making a point of excluding them to the extent that we had no midfield cover on the bench last night.

This smells of other 'lesser' clubs coming in for these two players specifically, who Spadge and Vincelot turned down preferring to wait for a better offer or hope that the situation changes at the club. By making this public Gus is clearly trying to force them out of the club in the next couple of weeks in order to use their wages/transfer fees elsewhere.

For what it's worth I think he'd gladly accept offers for Harley too, just perhaps there haven't been the offers that there may have been for Sparrow and Vincelot.

Don't think any of the players will be impressed with this action, telling the players in private is one thing, putting it in the paper is disrespectful to them - you bought Vincelot only about a year ago Gus, says a lot about your judgement, lose the dressing room and .......

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Don't think any of the players will be impressed with this action, telling the players in private is one thing, putting it in the paper is disrespectful to them - you bought Vincelot only about a year ago Gus, says a lot about your judgement, lose the dressing room and .......

best tell ferguson the mess he made with berbatov then etc etc

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Maybe the wages of Katspack, Bridge, Bruno & Crofts are pretty high and therefore we have less to spend on transfer fees?

Is the right answer. All players capable of moving on with us if we can get to the next level. I'm surprised about Sparrow and Vincelot but this is surely to do with reducing the number of fringe players to free up money for a smaller but higher quality squad.

Moving on someone like Harley would be more difficult because a) we'd want to recoup some or all of our investment b) that's not going to happen currently as he's done nothing yet to attract a buyer and c) it sounds like he's on a higher wage than a lot of clubs would want to pay unless he starts to put in some better performances. So, we have to get rid of players that will attract interest. It doesn't necessarily mean Gus sees Dicker and Harley as the future - but he may well have a player or two in mind that fit the bill once we can afford to bring them in. It's possible too that he feels Harley, while lacklustre so far, has more ability to reach a higher level than Sparrow/Vincelot - he wouldn't be the only manager to take that view. Somehow we've got to unlock that potential....

beefypigeon

Aug 14, 2008
I love it how people are turning around saying Gus isn't up to the job and he's lost the plot like they know what they are talking about. There is obviously a reason behind the decision, he knows a great deal more than all of us lot put together!

Both players were at the end of the day fringe players, by no means regulars. They are also both players who have some sort of value as when they have been used they've done a decent job. The players themselves will get regular football out of a move too.

The difference with someone like Harley is that he will not be on any clubs radars. Gus clearly sees potential in him, we have no idea as to how they perform in training. What I don't get RE Harley is that he is 27 years old, so he is either past or nearing his 'prime', unlike the likes of Barnes or noone who have plenty of years ahead of them.

We still have time in the transfer window and I expect we will be getting a couple of replacements. Although not ideal we also have the possibility of getting players in on loan to fill the gap.

Although I feel sympathy for both players on a personal level, I actually don't think the loss of either will be felt too much. People are just getting pissed because they have gone and Harley is still here! I have every confidence that Gus knows what he is doing.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
The difference with someone like Harley is that he will not be on any clubs radars.
I'm sure Harley would be on plenty of clubs radars especially in League One, after all it was his performances there that got ourselves and Swansea interested in him. I suspect he'd be harder to shift than Sparrow or Vincelot due to being on a higher wage.

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
I'm not sure why anyone thinks this is a big deal.

Neither player featured that much last year and are unlikely to feature much this year. They probably want games, they won't get that with us.

How is it a mistake to buy a utility player, use them as and when needed, then look to off load them when you have been able to build up more depth in the squad?

As for Harley and Dicker. If I am being kind, then maybe it's because both had injuries last season or Gus feels that when the other pieces are in place then they will shine.

Whatever it is I guess Gus feels there is a need for them, it's beyond me what that need is. But then I'm not a successful football manager who has also played football at the highest level.

The Camel

Nov 1, 2010
Darlington, UK
Surprised Vincelot is going.

A great man to have on the bench as he covers so many positions.

Can understand it if he wants first team football though.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.

I totally agree. It smacks of bullying, and should not be going on at our Club. It is unprofessional. I am sure everyone wants to see us have the best players available, but I for one do not want to see players being victimised to force them out when they are under contract.

It is not as though they have done anything wrong, they are simply surplus to requirements - hardly their fault. If they were both shagging his Mrs, you could understand it.

What is happening to our much-vaunted "Team Spirit" at the Club?

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
I'm not sure why anyone thinks this is a big deal.

Neither player featured that much last year and are unlikely to feature much this year. They probably want games, they won't get that with us.

How is it a mistake to buy a utility player, use them as and when needed, then look to off load them when you have been able to build up more depth in the squad?

As for Harley and Dicker. If I am being kind, then maybe it's because both had injuries last season or Gus feels that when the other pieces are in place then they will shine.

Whatever it is I guess Gus feels there is a need for them, it's beyond me what that need is. But then I'm not a successful football manager who has also played football at the highest level.

The "big deal" is the public way in which it is being done. Unfair to the players, and unprofessional by the Manager.

Rich Suvner

Skint years RIP
Jul 17, 2003
Worthing
It is not as though they have done anything wrong, they are simply surplus to requirements - hardly their fault. If they were both shagging his Mrs, you could understand it.

Think Poyet lost patience with Vincelot when he got sent off for blatantly thumping someone. Silly decision by player and don't remember him playing much since. Maybe Poyet now feels we are able to release without risk of not having cover.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
Think Poyet lost patience with Vincelot when he got sent off for blatantly thumping someone. Silly decision by player and don't remember him playing much since. Maybe Poyet now feels we are able to release without risk of not having cover.

Would that be the same Gus Poyet who got send off and sat in the press box and sulked like a two year old?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here