Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sparrow and Vincelot / Poyet weilds axe (SIX merrged threads)

Iamapen15

May 17, 2009
Back of the North Stand

So adding to a rumour thread, with a rumour I've heard, which I indicated was a rumour makes me a bullshitter?

I have no ego to massage, I simply want to share what I've heard or my thoughts. I do carefully chose what I repeat depending on who and what people have told me. There's certainly nothing from a rumour site and I don't regurgitate shit posted on twitter like some.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I would think that it could be a case of Sparrow & Vincelot being 2 of a few that are surplus to requirements and they are either high earners or Gus thinks he will get the best fee for them or sell them easiest to a Div 1 club.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Bruno looks a f***ing class signing. Bridge looked a class above last night. Tony Bloom is a great chairman. I love The Amex. Gus Poyet is could become an all time great manager. I think I've posted a smattering of them in the last 24 hours. It's not just Poyet tactics thats the issue. Its the fact he won't change them week after week after week when results confirm that they are not working, and if a first division side can pick us off 3-0, Tony help us if he sticks with this for much longer.

Well if Poyet is to become a great manager, you're gonna have to accept that he will make many mistakes - especially in his early career. Whether you, I, or anybody else likes it or not, he has a very clear idea on the way he wants his team to play the game: & like anything relatively new it will take time for sustained success to be achieved. So give the guy a break & see what the coming season brings. Your respect for Tony Bloom is highly evident - & HE seems to have faith in the direction the club is going, so why not chill the f*** out & enjoy the ride while you can? A few quality additions in key areas in the next week or so; players becoming fitter & match-sharp (not to mention a few 1stTeam-ers returning from injury) & things could look a helluva lot better. You should know by now that in football patience - no matter how far it's stretched to the very limits - is a virtue. Chin up.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
So Gus made this decision to let Sparrow and Vincelot go because they had no future at the club BEFORE last night's game.

If the man has any sense he will apologise today, admit he got the names wrong, and tell the waiting world that it is Harley and Dicker who mhave no future at the club.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
So Gus made this decision to let Sparrow and Vincelot go because they had no future at the club BEFORE last night's game.

Why is that so amazing? From what I've seen, barring a dopey red vs Burnley for Vincelot, neither player has done much wrong on teh field, so I'm guessing this is something to do with their off field actions. Maybe something in preparation, training, attitude, professionalism, but the circumstances and timings of this clearly do not suggest it is as a result of on field performances.

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
I would think that it could be a case of Sparrow & Vincelot being 2 of a few that are surplus to requirements and they are either high earners or Gus thinks he will get the best fee for them or sell them easiest to a Div 1 club.

Absolutely no chance whatsoever that either are high earners and surely telling them to find new clubs is the worst possible way to extract "the best fee" for their services. Remember these two came from Scunny and D & R respectively where the wage bills are not going to be high. It's a million to one on that Harley, conversely, will be on decent wages having walked away from a 3 and a half year deal with Swansea to join. I suspect your final point is correct however. They should both be able to find a club easily enough and Vincelot in particular, due to his versatility, will be an excellent signing for someone. Personally I'd rather he stayed.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I haven't read the whole thread, but why has it taken so long to reach this decision??

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

If the man has any sense he will apologise today, .

He should do no such thing. If he's decided before yesterday that these two were not up to the standard required, then nothing that happened in one meaningless cup game changes that, one little bit. If he did an about turn, as a knee-jerk reaction to one poor result, that would be very poor management.

saltash seagull

Mar 1, 2004
cornwall
Absolutely no chance whatsoever that either are high earners and surely telling them to find new clubs is the worst possible way to extract "the best fee" for their services. Remember these two came from Scunny and D & R respectively where the wage bills are not going to be high. It's a million to one on that Harley, conversely, will be on decent wages having walked away from a 3 and a half year deal with Swansea to join. I suspect your final point is correct however. They should both be able to find a club easily enough and Vincelot in particular, due to his versatility, will be an excellent signing for someone. Personally I'd rather he stayed.
Considering sparrow dropped down a division when he was wanted at sunny I think he will probably be up there

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The weird thing is the numbers don't stack up. Navarro was released, JFC loaned out, Harley and Dicker have never convinced in the Championship, Noone has lost form, Vicente is injury-prone and now Sparrow and Vincelot have no future.

I'm sure Gus is working on bringing players in as we speak, but in terms of quality it would appear we are at least two players light in midfield.

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
Considering sparrow dropped down a division when he was wanted at sunny I think he will probably be up there

Agree to differ then. Scunny would have been paying (relative) peanuts. Sparrow would have got a signing on fee and the rise he would have got wouldn't have him "up there" in terms of weekly wage.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Looks like Gus had *the* chat with the squad at the beginning of July. Via The Argus on July 5th. Maybe surprising he's gone public with the names but it looks like he's pretty straightforward in managing the squad / their expectations and obviously we're not privy to bids they might have had from other clubs etc...

"Poyet said: “Without talking about individuals, everybody knows where they stand in the squad.
“The players who have more chance of playing, they know that.
The players who have got less chance of playing, they know that.
We are honest with the players. No one has any doubts.
Then decisions have to be made by the players and we will deal with that.
“At the end of the day all the players who are with us are under contract. And if they are under contract they have a chance.”

http://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/albion/9799773.Poyet__My_players_know_where_they_stand/

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Sparrow and Vincelot have a year left on their contracts but don't figure in Gus's plans. He has given them the opportunity to look for another club where they will be playing regular 1st team football , Elphick has gone to Bournemouth to achieve that. Navarro was released only on the basis that Dicker and Sparrow were still in contract. I think Gus has lost the remote control for Dicker and he is permanently stuck in slow motion mode. Harley will be the next to go in January after JFC returns from his loan spell. I think Vincelot's downfall is us not needing a utility player as we have back up for the positions he can play in.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
I can't believe some people are daring to question the Lord.

How very dare you all.

Off course he's right to get rid of Sparrow and Vincelot. Their both complete shit. If the Lord wants them out, thats good enough for me.

Harley and Dicker are the way forward. They are brilliant players.

It was the referees fault last night for giving Swindon the free kick when and where he did. Christ why can't people see that. Okay they may have scored three times, but they were all lucky. Besides, we're not going to play a teams as good as Swindon every week.

Dicker/Harley/Barnes in midfield. How could you want for more. Remember where we were 14 years ago. f***ing hell 150 years ago we didn't even have a team. Be grateful for where we are now.

Okay, some may critise the fact we only have a couple of on target shots a game and dont score many goals.

But footballs not all about goals is it. The main aim of football is not to conceed isn't it. Far more entertaining watching the defenders pass the ball around amongst themselves, rather than keep jumping up in your seat every 5 minutes. Plus its good for the heart. Don't want to much exectiment on a Saturday afternoon do you. No, you can't beat a good game of football chess.

So please don't critise Poyet. He knows what he's doing. if we upset him, he'll walk off into a premiership job tomorrow, so be nice. Its the best style of football we have ever seen at the club and we are lucky to have a man of great vision.

Okay our away record is 3 wins in 23, but thats just minor details. Not important. Move on. We still have a shiney Stadium that Gus built in 6 days on his own.

Its the taking part that counts.
Where we were 14 years ago means jack shite pal,we have a £100 million stadium,we have high class players and we have big crowds,looking back to 6/7k crowds and players on 1k a week is completely irrelevant.

Expectations grow and by a bloody lot so get used to it.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
Well if Poyet is to become a great manager, you're gonna have to accept that he will make many mistakes - especially in his early career. Whether you, I, or anybody else likes it or not, he has a very clear idea on the way he wants his team to play the game: & like anything relatively new it will take time for sustained success to be achieved. So give the guy a break & see what the coming season brings. Your respect for Tony Bloom is highly evident - & HE seems to have faith in the direction the club is going, so why not chill the f*** out & enjoy the ride while you can? A few quality additions in key areas in the next week or so; players becoming fitter & match-sharp (not to mention a few 1stTeam-ers returning from injury) & things could look a helluva lot better. You should know by now that in football patience - no matter how far it's stretched to the very limits - is a virtue. Chin up.
Lets hope so Twinkle. Lets hope so.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
Where we were 14 years ago means jack shite pal,we have a £100 million stadium,we have high class players and we have big crowds,looking back to 6/7k crowds and players on 1k a week is completely irrelevant.

Expectations grow and by a bloody lot so get used to it.
WOW!!

Really?

Nah!! No ones that stupid are they :lol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here