Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sparrow and Vincelot / Poyet weilds axe (SIX merrged threads)

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Why does everyone go mad about Vincelot? I've never got it. What has he ever done for us to make people believe he's the next coming of Jesus?

I'm not slagging him off I just don't understand all the praise.

No sure everyone is "going mad". From the few posts on this thread I think the general consensus is that if we're going to lose 2 players then Harley and Dicker would be the prime candidates. Somehow after as dire a performance as you could imagine Gus comes out in the press saying he's going to chop 2 players that have shown some decent (squad level) potential and didn't even play.

I find it bizarre!

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
If true, the decision about Vincelot is one of Gus's more stupid ones. The guy has never been given a chance for a regular run in the team and I very much like what I have seen of him.

It would rank up there with letting Hall go (better than either of our central defenders last night) ... and letting Cook go.

Gus, the glow is wearing off.

He didn't let Hall go. You have no idea whether Hall was better than either of our central defenders because you've hardly ever seen him play. You've also only seen Vincelot a handful of times, where as Gus has seen him play every day for the last year.

You really are an absolute first class retard.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
No sure everyone is "going mad". From the few posts on this thread I think the general consensus is that if we're going to lose 2 players then Harley and Dicker would be the prime candidates. Somehow after as dire a performance as you could imagine Gus comes out in the press saying he's going to chop 2 players that have shown some decent (squad level) potential and didn't even play.

I find it bizarre!

Where has Gus said that it will ONLY be those two..?

albion534

Mar 4, 2010
Brighton, United Kingdom
Vincelot is the only player in our team who can convincingly play all across the back 4 and in the middle of the park.....Harley is allergic to hard graft, and is scared of tackles, and dicker looks like he is being pulled back by unseen forces

Ffs

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Where has Gus said that it will ONLY be those two..?

He hasn't but if he's going to use the press to make a point he should at least say something like "and there maybe more" I haven't read that article, and the only thing I've seen is the summary of what he said on the OS but I hope that's only his public reaction and not how he's communicating to players.

We can only use what's fed to us .... we can assume all sorts of other things, some of which might be right, but all we have to go on is what's released and I still find it bewildering

D

Deleted member 22389

Sparrow and Vincelot are both good players. Strange decision if true.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
He hasn't but if he's going to use the press to make a point he should at least say something like "and there maybe more" I haven't read that article, and the only thing I've seen is the summary of what he said on the OS but I hope that's only his public reaction and not how he's communicating to players.

We can only use what's fed to us .... we can assume all sorts of other things, some of which might be right, but all we have to go on is what's released and I still find it bewildering

Well, what was fed to ME, two months ago, named four players that there were surplus to requirements. Vincelot and Sparrow were two of them.
And no, I'm not going to name the other two - if circumstances have changed, it would be unfair to put it out there (I doubt they have though).

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
Vincelot is the only player in our team who can convincingly play all across the back 4 and in the middle of the park.....Harley is allergic to hard graft, and is scared of tackles, and dicker looks like he is being pulled back by unseen forces

Ffs

This... Something has seriously gone on behind the scenes that we will never know about surely?... Because based on footballing ability Sparrow and Vincelot wipe the floor with 'I don't want to get my shorts dirty' Harley and 'I have less pace that Jan Molby' Dicker.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
The deal was offered a little too late in the day as I recall.

Too late in what respect? None of us have any idea when he was offered his new deal. All we have is the date when the club made public that he had a deal on the table, and had not signed it. He may have been sitting on it for months (in the knowledge that he had options elsewhere).

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
I really like Vincelot, I feel like he's been hard done by with us.

Agreed, he has versatility that others don't provide.... and for me Sparrow has pace and tenacity qualities that I certainly don't see with Dicker......

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Only Dicker, Harley, Painter, Ankergren, Barker, Noone at least to go then.

And why is this happening now? It was abundantly clear at the end of last season we had too many CMs, we let the wrong one go and now trying to let go of two more just as the season starts. Bizarre.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
The Dicker / Harley debate aside I wonder why this has come about now. Perhaps Gus wanted to give them a pre season to prove themselves, but surely would have been better for all to "wield the axe" earlier on in the summer, to give Sparrow and Vincelot more time to find a club and any replacements time to settle in here.

Just because it's come out in the press now, doesn't mean Gus told them yesterday. He could have made them aware that they future involvement would be limited when they reported back, thus giving their agents a chance to get moves elsewhere underway.

Also, who's to say that Dicker/Harley could also be on their way, or not set to feature this season much either? Gus has mentioned two names - doesn't mean there won't be more casualties.

I like Sparrow and Vincelot, especially the latter who, ironically, has suffered because of his versatility. But, to finish with a positive, any players that replace them in the squad will probably be on another level, if TB and GP's ambitions of the Premier League are to be believed.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Matt Sparrow and Romain Vincelot their futures lie away from Albion.

Albion boss Gus Poyet has told Matt Sparrow and Romain Vincelot their futures lie away from Albion.

Midfielder Sparrow and versatile Frenchman Vincelot were both left out of the squad for last night’s 3-0 exit from the Capital One Cup at Swindon, which was compounded by two goals for ex-Seagull Alan Navarro.

Poyet revealed to The Argus: “We are trying to make things clear when we said previously that there are players that need to move on and we need to make sure we start acting, because we have been too nice.

“It is going to be very difficult for Matt and Romain to play and if they want to stay at the football club they are professional, we will pay them, but if they want to look after their futures they need to move on.”

Albion’s defeat by the League One newcomers in the opening game of the season, after controlling the game in the first half, emphasised Poyet’s desperation to land a target man.

Vicente was used as a makeshift central striker again, with Craig Mackail-Smith still injured, and the bench had to be filled out by development squad forwards Brennan Dickenson and Charlie Oatway junior.

Poyet said: “In a game like that where you are going to have two or three opportunities, not even clear chances, you need a special player who is going to hit the target and score a goal and we cannot get it.

“You have to pay for that and we are not in those terms. I know I keep repeating it and I don’t want it to sound like an excuse but we are not a team with plenty of money.

“We are different and when we are at our best and paying attention we can compete. When we go to sleep, like for the first goal, or there are things we don’t do right like the second goal, then you are going to lose games no matter who you play against.”

Poyet hopes to have Mackail-Smith available for Saturday’s first Championship fixture at Hull but he will be without the injured Will Buckley and Kazenga LuaLua.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Well, what was fed to ME, two months ago, named four players that there were surplus to requirements. Vincelot and Sparrow were two of them.
And no, I'm not going to name the other two - if circumstances have changed, it would be unfair to put it out there (I doubt they have though).

Well I genuinely hope your information was correct and if 2 more are to go then I hope it's Harley, Dicker and Painter (oh wait) We do need to progress and can't have any room for sentimentality but that's not to say that I don't have a ton of sympathy for Spaz and Vincelot given the timing of the announcement

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
Vincelot's problem is his versatility there is no one place in the team he can make his own. He was more than useful last year when the subs bench was reduced to 5 now it has returned to 7 the need for someone like him has diminished. From Vincelot's perspective he would be better suited playing for a team with a small squad because in a large one with two players battling out for every position, his lack of a favourite position will relegate him to third choice in all positions he can play. In this case Gus is right he would be better off elsewhere as he would get more chance of playing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here