Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

So Gus asked to leave the club in March!

Saint Lennard

Prawn Sarnie Casual
Sep 30, 2004
Seafront shelters
Firstly, We've all worked with people who love the sound of their own voice, let us know how they are great at everything, who moan about their job/situation and are full of idle threats to leave. With these people after a while you become accustomed to this noise and just take all their comments as a pinch of salt. I have worked with people who have told me they are resigning but when it comes to that there is nothing to go to they back out which has led me to now wait until I see something in writing before doing anything...and then after that some have withdrawn it when they reflect that the grass is nit so greener elsewhere. So why not a similar scenario here?
Secondly, with this in mind and seeing as we were on the up at the time of all this and the season was coming towards a positive conclusion why would chairman leave us in a position where we were manager less. It may have been considered that a manager who knew his team, the opposition and knew how things worked here but was demotivated may have seemed a better and cheaper alternative than starting afresh. If this failed then decisions could be made at the end of the season.
I find it difficult to believe that some think that clubs and managers are so honourable. I believe one f the reasons we said no to Gus is that at such a critical stage we had no one lined up to continue our progress. I also believe that clubs who are about to change and agents of managers do most of the damage behind the scenes and that characters like Gus who seem to have certain ambitions are easy bait for these people. If we were unprepared for this i could see, but not necessarily agree, that we were not willing to play despite the risks involved. It's less of a problem if you end up promoted but manager less.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Ok, so how long has March been the end of the season????

In other words, that week Gus was eager to leave. Very eager.

That's the actions of a man who was very eager to leave but subsequently changed his mind, I'd say. Gus is flaky, we all know that and the above incident proves it.

Let's be clear - Gus wanted to leave 4 days before we were due to play Palace at home and he knew how important that game was for us fans esp after he'd screwed it up the first time round. He wanted to leave us in a right mess because he couldn't even wait 4 days until after the Palace match to go. It shows what his priorities have always been - Gus first, everything else second. All that gubbins about knowing when you come to Brighton that you have to beat Palace. He didn't give a stuff about that, about the club nor us fans.

Well - F**K YOU GUS. F**k you very much.

Gus asked to leave at the end of the season. Yeah, he said he'd be fine if he could leave the next day, but he was willing to stay until the end of the season.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Saved me some typing, totally agree. I'll never forget Mullery after that Blackpool game, people went away KNOWING that we'd go one step better last time.

The whole Poyet 'end of days' saga is a bit weird and we'll probably never hear all of it. I agree with Kalimantan Gull (and others) that the Poyet era is over and we should let it go - but it's hard to stop discussing it when revelations like this keep coming out like drips from a leaky tap.

That's the thing that I don't understand. I can't see what's changed recently that he could suddenly reveal this. And it's now two days before the season where everyeone had settled down, was pretty much over it and was looking forward to the new season under Oscar. Now all the muck and accusations will kick off again

James Bond's body double

Nov 1, 2009
Southwick
I don't care anymore, I am really excited for the new season and makes it even better this morning as I saw Jonesy driving Oscar into the Amex, gave a little wave Oscar gave thumbs up NJ waved back made my morning he he he, off to work with a smile as they are my mates now.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I imagine quite a bit more is now going to come out, once Gus has his say, although I doubt we'll ever know the full story.

I am put in mind of the incident back last month (or was it still June) when the club released the statement about gus refusing to show up to the meeting and the discussion on here slaughtering him, then the LMA released their statement explaining gus's side and the attitude to it changed.

Moods and attitudes have gone back and forth on this over the past couple of months, siding with the latest info released. Perhaps we shouldn't be so rash?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I am put in mind of the incident back last month (or was it still June) when the club released the statement about gus refusing to show up to the meeting and the discussion on here slaughtering him, then the LMA released their statement explaining gus's side and the attitude to it changed.

Moods and attitudes have gone back and forth on this over the past couple of months, siding with the latest info released. Perhaps we shouldn't be so rash?

Yeah, but this is NSC, wouldn't have it any other way myself :smile:

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Calling Bloom, telling him you want out and then speaking to Reading is clearly the actions of someone who wants to leave. Given he did not go to Reading suggests he wanted out but not at any cost, which seems perfectly plausible to me.

Spot on.

So what happened in march to cause the fall out (which I actually posted about on nsc in may). Was it being told there was no more money for the next season? Was working with Paul barber not possible for him (note I am not having a go at Barber)?

So why suspend and then sack someone who has already resigned? Its either a masterstroke or incredibly churlish.

Nobody can say though that our performances dipped after the fallout. Instead they improved dramatically. If it had happened a few weeks earlier we might have hot automatic promotion.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Very big of him.
... especially as he had a contract to honour,.... sadly there are some people here who miss the point of the contract,.... a two way thing,... the club pay him shite loads of cash, in return he manages the team to the best of his ability. Sadly, asking mid season to leave is a breach of that agreement, and if the club want him to stay, he stays, unless they agree and he settles up his contract himself as compensation, but I suspect he didn't want to do that.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Oscar has been here a month :lolol: I'l place quite a large bet that if Oscar is successful he won't be Brighton manager in 3 seasons time

Very much this, some people on here don't half talk a load of rot.

There is no loyalty in football, nor has there been for quite some time. It's a horrible thing to acknowledge but accepting it will save you a great deal of bellyache & righteous indignation in the long run.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Spot on.

So what happened in march to cause the fall out (which I actually posted about on nsc in may). .
Could it be as simple as the club refused him permission to leave for Reading??

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Very big of him.

Just as it is big of all the players that ask to leave before fulfilling their contracts, agreeing to stay until the end of the season (someone else has mentioned Zamora, Bennett springs to mind, no one staying after cardiff's initial approach also comes to mind)

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
... especially as he had a contract to honour,.... sadly there are some people here who miss the point of the contract,.... a two way thing,... the club pay him shite loads of cash, in return he manages the team to the best of his ability. Sadly, asking mid season to leave is a breach of that agreement, and if the club want him to stay, he stays, unless they agree and he settles up his contract himself as compensation, but I suspect he didn't want to do that.

Exactly, if the club has asked him to leave, when he didn't want to without any compensation, would we see that as reasonable?

If he agreed to pay the compensation then the club should have let him walk but I very much doubt that's how it happened.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Yes I think he'd have gone if we'd gone up. Which could have made the build up to our first season in premier league interesting

He would have gone, regardless, but I mean, would he have been allowed to walk away a hero, rather then being fired for gross misconduct after being suspended for over a month?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here