Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

So Gus asked to leave the club in March!

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
What difference does getting promotion make? Either he is guilty of gross misconduct or he isn't. That suggests that the 'evidence' we have used to get rid of Poyet is pretty thin.

At least one of the stories out there is that the gross misconduct he was sacked for is barely even misconduct, that it is the sort of thing that bosses ignore if they still want you around, but if they want you gone they can use it. If we got promoted and had the riches that came with it, why bother being so spiteful? Another suggestion has been that the method the club used was about not having to pay him off, again, £120m would make any realistic pay off seem pretty small.

There's also just the feel good feeling of winning promotion, making the perhaps more forgiving and more inclined to mutual consent.

Look at oatway - the findings of his suspension/investigation was never revealed, they just came to an agreement and ended the contract by mutual consent. If he was guilty of anything, that has been brushed aside. Why wouldn't they do it with gus if we had the money and joy of premier league promotion?

Last edited:

albionite

May 20, 2009
Fair few wild guess's on here. Tony must of known revealing what he did without the rest of the story speculation would go into over drive.
Not sure why some are saying oatway is a hero have a feeling they will change their minds if it ever comes out why he was given the push.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
To be honest, with Ashes cricket, the Bale saga and everything else, a remark on a local radio station quite late in the day that doesn't shed too much light on a story that was at its most interesting a few weeks ago was never going to force editors to clear today's back page, or even a small column. Doubt if it will make much of a stir tomorrow either, with the League kicking off. There'll be features on Yeovil and Newport ordered in, Wenger has done a press conference, Ashes still going on, Bale still up in the air - and, in the end, is anyone the wiser about what went on?

'Arry's press conference went on for ages on SSN, that is their priority

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Fair few wild guess's on here. Tony must of known revealing what he did without the rest of the story speculation would go into over drive.
But he wouldn't have revealed it if that question wasn't asked 5 mins from the end,.... none of us would have been any the wiser, he didn't put it out there without first being asked.

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
If Tony Bloom had read this thread I would love to know what he thought of it all. I can't help thinking he'd believe we'd all gone around the bend. We all know next to nothing about what's really gone on other than crap inside information from someone uncle whose bit on the side was dusting the trophy cabinet and overheard a load of testicles about everything.
Frankly we would all be so much happier thinking and talking about more important and pressing things like how we will again stuff Leeds at Elland Road. I'm sure one day when it matters even less we'll hear what really happened, even perhaps who done this......:shit: in an impolite place.

Not sure why some are saying oatway is a hero have a feeling they will change their minds if it ever comes out why he was given the push.
He wasn't given the push, though. He and the Club parted by mutual agreement.

Adds up to same thing. They let him go without it getting messy and he agreed.

As I said in an earlier post, both sides will spin their own story. In this case, they've agreed what the story is. And that is a good thing.

What I was really commenting about was your suggestion that there might be another version to come out, in which being "given the push" features. There won't be.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Well written, and taken in isolation, what you say about Gus' comments post-play-off is correct. But HOW can you take those comments in isolation? It is almost certain that loads was going on behind the scenes during the previous six weeks or so, and that Gus pretty much knew he had managed his last Brighton game, whether he wanted to stay or not. It is in that context that his comments must be viewed, (even though very few are really aware of what exactly that context is).

For the revelations presented on this thread I view it simply thus - Gus let TB know he wanted to move on at the end of the season; TB reacted badly to this. A souring relationship worsened.

Gus chose to say the things he said (and do the things he did) in that week of May 13; nobody was holding a gun to his head. When the club and the fans required their manager to demonstrate leadership, what they got was very public egotistical gamesmanship. Whatever was happening behind the scenes, press conferences in the aftermath of a play-off defeat to your fiercest rivals are not the appropriate forum to air such grievances. For that (along with his subsequent refusal to deal with the retained list) he lost my support [and that was BEFORE he was suspended and everything else emerged].

This wasn't the first glimpse from Poyet that when things get tough, he threatens to quit. He reacted badly to some fans booing after a disappointing half of football against a team 100 places below Albion; he threatened to "go home" if his team didn't play his way after a match at Watford; and he disappeared up the tunnel for the last 5 minutes of a game at Turf Moor in apparent protest against refereeing decisions. Call me old-fashioned, but I would prefer the manager of the club I support to rise above personal criticisms, and set a better example of professionalism and leadership to my team and club. This, after all, from someone who called Patrice Evra a "cry baby" for reporting racial abuse.

I will always be grateful for the success we enjoyed under Poyet; for the style of football he got the team playing; and the additional media exposure has, on the whole, been welcome. But for the reasons I've stated in this thread, I will never regard him with the same affection that I feel for the likes of Bobby Zamora.

Canonman

Apr 14, 2011
Real shame, especially when the fans were singing his name, he was trying to leave the club. One day the truth will out.

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
At least one of the stories out there is that the gross misconduct he was sacked for is barely even misconduct, that it is the sort of thing that bosses ignore if they still want you around, but if they want you gone they can use it. If we got promoted and had the riches that came with it, why bother being so spiteful? Another suggestion has been that the method the club used was about not having to pay him off, again, £120m would make any realistic pay off seem pretty small.

There's also just the feel good feeling of winning promotion, making the perhaps more forgiving and more inclined to mutual consent.

Look at oatway - the findings of his suspension/investigation was never revealed, they just came to an agreement and ended the contract by mutual consent. If he was guilty of anything, that has been brushed aside. Why wouldn't they do it with gus if we had the money and joy of premier league promotion?

No, I understood the point he was getting at, it was actually a bit of a rhetorical question to be honest.

And ifs that really is the case, this is far from over and could still yet get very very messy.

theonesmith

Oct 27, 2008
Gus chose to say the things he said (and do the things he did) in that week of May 13; nobody was holding a gun to his head. When the club and the fans required their manager to demonstrate leadership, what they got was very public egotistical gamesmanship. Whatever was happening behind the scenes, press conferences in the aftermath of a play-off defeat to your fiercest rivals are not the appropriate forum to air such grievances. For that (along with his subsequent refusal to deal with the retained list) he lost my support [and that was BEFORE he was suspended and everything else emerged].

This wasn't the first glimpse from Poyet that when things get tough, he threatens to quit. He reacted badly to some fans booing after a disappointing half of football against a team 100 places below Albion; he threatened to "go home" if his team didn't play his way after a match at Watford; and he disappeared up the tunnel for the last 5 minutes of a game at Turf Moor in apparent protest against refereeing decisions. Call me old-fashioned, but I would prefer the manager of the club I support to rise above personal criticisms, and set a better example of professionalism and leadership to my team and club. This, after all, from someone who called Patrice Evra a "cry baby" for reporting racial abuse.

I will always be grateful for the success we enjoyed under Poyet; for the style of football he got the team playing; and the additional media exposure has, on the whole, been welcome. But for the reasons I've stated in this thread, I will never regard him with the same affection that I feel for the likes of Bobby Zamora.

Very well said, hard to argue with any of that.

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011

I usually never say 'This' so I wont. I think this view is spot on. In every endeavour, in the workplace we see this egotistical b/s. We put up with it to a degree and then, wherever it comes from the damn bursts. Gus may be good but I've seen more egotisticals take a bigger fall before in my time!

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
To be honest, with Ashes cricket, the Bale saga and everything else, a remark on a local radio station quite late in the day that doesn't shed too much light on a story that was at its most interesting a few weeks ago was never going to force editors to clear today's back page, or even a small column. Doubt if it will make much of a stir tomorrow either, with the League kicking off. There'll be features on Yeovil and Newport ordered in, Wenger has done a press conference, Ashes still going on, Bale still up in the air - and, in the end, is anyone the wiser about what went on?

Fair enough, but my point was that, in a world of the "Sky Sports Breaking news bar" and a thirst for knowledge the minute it comes out, it is a little surprising that NOTHING is mentioned. Bearing in mind that 5 Live was talking about this the day before (or earlier in the day, I can't remember), and the reaction of the media at the time, you would think that while they might not be lapping it up, waiting to make it a main story, there would at least be an update on events that, seemed to have genuine interest in the football world?

Edit: I've just seen Sky and BBC have picked up on it late yesterday:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23363030

http://www1.skysports.com/football/...ve-brighton-in-march-says-chairman-tony-bloom

MORTY

Jan 9, 2007
Basingstoke
I usually never say 'This' so I wont. I think this view is spot on. In every endeavour, in the workplace we see this egotistical b/s. We put up with it to a degree and then, wherever it comes from the damn bursts. Gus may be good but I've seen more egotisticals take a bigger fall before in my time!

This

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore

Spot on.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Fair enough, but my point was that, in a world of the "Sky Sports Breaking news bar" and a thirst for knowledge the minute it comes out, it is a little surprising that NOTHING is mentioned. Bearing in mind that 5 Live was talking about this the day before (or earlier in the day, I can't remember), and the reaction of the media at the time, you would think that while they might not be lapping it up, waiting to make it a main story, there would at least be an update on events that, seemed to have genuine interest in the football world?

Edit: I've just seen Sky and BBC have picked up on it late yesterday:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23363030

http://www1.skysports.com/football/...ve-brighton-in-march-says-chairman-tony-bloom

The photo in the BBC story is well chosen

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here