Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

So Gus asked to leave the club in March!

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
Tony Bloom' s comment this evening seems to me to throw very little light on what happened. I find it odd (and not very helpful) that we are being drip fed little snippets of information.

What on earth do you find "odd" ?

Someone asked a question re; Poyet and Tony Bloom was able to give a straight and definitive answer as to the start of a breakdown in relations. He also said he could not (obviously due to possible legal ramnifications) give details of subsequent events leading to his dismissal.

I suggest that your posting re being "odd" is not so........more like mischief-making on your part.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Tony Bloom' s comment this evening seems to me to throw very little light on what happened. There is speculation that Poyet saw another job looming, but no confirmation that this was in fact the case. That's not the only reason people leave a job. Sometimes it's a breakdown in internal working relationships. But to suggest that is to invite further speculation. I find it odd (and not very helpful) that we are being drip fed little snippets of information.

the next question then has to be to Poyet....why did you want out...people may answer that themselves...but i'd like to hear it from the man himself

Sam Ovett

The New Manager Bus
Lua lua was one of our best players in the Palace home match and was one of the reasons why Bridge had Zaha in his pocket.

I am totally baffled, when Kaz had hit form, he was not played from the start in the 2nd leg, especially when Buckleys form has been poor most of the second half of the season.

THAT'S why Poyet is to blame for us losing...oh and wasn't Barnes, a player in goalscoring form, on the bench?

He was, and when he came on, instantly had our best chance which would have given us the lead had it not been for a great save from Speroni. If Barnes had started we'd have won that game.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Just two things to say,

1. Bobby Z gave us three and a bit great seasons, asked to leave at the end of a championship season to further his career, and is rightly revered by Brighton fans. Gus gave us three and a half great seasons, asked to leave at the end of a championship season to further his career, and is crucified by Brighton fans. If TB had just kept this in-house Gus could have just left with grace and goodwill and we could have saved all this shit.

2. Shame this thread has brought the Gus-haters back out in force. He's gone, get over it, let him be.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Just two things to say,

1. Bobby Z gave us three and a bit great seasons, asked to leave at the end of a championship season to further his career, and is rightly revered by Brighton fans. Gus gave us three and a half great seasons, asked to leave at the end of a championship season to further his career, and is crucified by Brighton fans. If TB had just kept this in-house Gus could have just left with grace and goodwill and we could have saved all this shit.

2. Shame this thread has brought the Gus-haters back out in force. He's gone, get over it, let him be.

Ok, so how long has March been the end of the season????

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
Did anybody else hear the interview Gus gave to BBC after the Blackpool game? He was informed by the interviewer of Reading's reported interest, and I was amazed by Gus' on air reaction. To be honest, at the time I was really disappointed being a huge Gus fan. He was genuinely excited at the news, I couldn't beliebve it really. I thought he'd want to talk about the great result we'd just had, but he just seemed genuinely excited at the interest from Reading. It was like some teenage lad being told that a gorgeous girl fancied him.
I mentoined this to some people. I was getting used to him publicly fluttering his eye lashes to Leeds, & of course Chelsea; but Reading?
It was at this point I started to have my doubts about the future with Gus.
Somebody else must have seen or heard this & noticed it too. I'm pretty sure it was after the Blackpool game.
I still think Gus was fantastic for the Albion & am grateful for what he did for us; just so disappointed how it ended. I think it was obvious to us all that Gus wanted to move onwards & upwards. Just a shame that he didn't realize it could have been with us.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Code:
I'd love to know if the players got wind of this move by Gus at the time he asked to leave.

What I find really intriguing is that we went on our best run of form last season immediately afterwards. Can't get my head around the fact that things deteriorated between Poyet and Bloom whilst the team performances got better.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Just two things to say,

I was very much on the Gus bus, pretty much all the way up to the play-off defeat to Palace. And whilst the performance and result were very disappointing, I accept it is part of the experience of being a football fan. But the way Gus conducted himself over the next 48 hours (in word and deed) transformed my view of him to the point that I felt it would be best if he were to move on.

Compare the end of last season with the one 35 years previously; Albion had just missed out on promotion to the highest division in equally heart-breaking fashion. What did the manager do? He stood up in the directors box and publicly declared the club would win promotion the following season. A leader issuing a rallying-cry in the moment of despair and disappointment. Fast-forward 35 years, and in pretty similar circumstances, how does Gus react? He blathers on, to various forms of media, about hitting the roof, about needing to speak to the chairman, about how he isn't going to be here forever, no matter how long a contract he signed. In short, it was all about him, and completely disrespectful of the club and its fans.

I have no problems with a manager or player being ambitious, or harbouring thoughts of moving on to another team; but whilst they are at my club I do expect them to act respectfully toward the club (especially when, as manager, you are effectively the figurehead of the organisation). Poyet failed to do that, and he lost my trust that he was acting in the best interests of the Albion.

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
I was very much on the Gus bus, pretty much all the way up to the play-off defeat to Palace. And whilst the performance and result were very disappointing, I accept it is part of the experience of being a football fan. But the way Gus conducted himself over the next 48 hours (in word and deed) transformed my view of him to the point that I felt it would be best if he were to move on.

Compare the end of last season with the one 35 years previously; Albion had just missed out on promotion to the highest division in equally heart-breaking fashion. What did the manager do? He stood up in the directors box and publicly declared the club would win promotion the following season. A leader issuing a rallying-cry in the moment of despair and disappointment. Fast-forward 35 years, and in pretty similar circumstances, how does Gus react? He blathers on, to various forms of media, about hitting the roof, about needing to speak to the chairman, about how he isn't going to be here forever, no matter how long a contract he signed. In short, it was all about him, and completely disrespectful of the club and its fans.

I have no problems with a manager or player being ambitious, or harbouring thoughts of moving on to another team; but whilst they are at my club I do expect them to act respectfully toward the club (especially when, as manager, you are effectively the figurehead of the organisation). Poyet failed to do that, and he lost my trust that he was acting in the best interests of the Albion.

Well said.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003

I agree with all that you have said. Although many here were in denial to the end and defended his right to be "honest" to the hilt by suggesting that anyone who was pissed off with his constant touting in the media were bed wetters. The writing seems to have been on the wall for a while given his frequent comments about clubs he'd love to manage. It seems that those of us who found his touting totally disrespectful were right to be concerned and were not needy, as those who saw Poyet's comments as acceptable often suggested.

I clearly remember being mad at the Saints vs Spurs stitch up and inspired by Mullery at the end of the season you mention. Compare that to the me me me comments of Gus after the semi final.

Last edited:

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Tony Bloom' s comment this evening seems to me to throw very little light on what happened. There is speculation that Poyet saw another job looming, but no confirmation that this was in fact the case. That's not the only reason people leave a job. Sometimes it's a breakdown in internal working relationships. But to suggest that is to invite further speculation. I find it odd (and not very helpful) that we are being drip fed little snippets of information.

I believe TB has issued a warning to Gus.

'You may have a TV job, but keep quiet or I will let the whole story come out. Comprende?'

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Just two things to say,

I agree with all that you have said. Although many here were in denial to the end and defended his right to be "honest" to the hilt by suggesting that anyone who was pissed off with his constant touting in the media were bed wetters. The writing seems to have been on the wall for a while given his frequent comments about clubs he'd love to manage. It seems that those of us who found his touting totally disrespectful were right to be concerned and were not needy, as those who saw Poyet's comments as acceptable often suggested.

I clearly remember being mad at the Saints vs Spurs stitch up and inspired by Mullery at the end of the season you mention. Compare that to the me me me comments of Gus after the semi final.

It seemed like from the moment we arrived at The AMEX, he was engineering a move.
That's fine, it's only a job, his job.

Had he handled his desire to move better, we'd have all waved him off in the style of 'the king is dead, long live the king'.
Who knows we might even have sung his name on his return.

That Palace interview and the subsequent grandstanding and posturing, just shows up Gus for the selfish little boy he is and I wish him nothing but failure.

IT COULD ALL HAVE BEEN SO DIFFERENT.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

'You may have a TV job, but keep quiet or I will let the whole story come out. Comprende?'

Gus, keep quiet? You'll have more chance asking water to not be wet.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Gus, keep quiet? You'll have more chance asking water to not be wet.

Exactly, he will not be able to let this go without defending himself. I expect the dirty laundry to be washed in public now. Interesting and sad times coming but we have only heard one side of the story so far, and as we all know there are always two sides to a story like this.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Oscar has been here a month :lolol: I'l place quite a large bet that if Oscar is successful he won't be Brighton manager in 3 seasons time

That's a good point. We got lucky(?) with Gus being with us so long – 6th longest serving manager in the country or something – and I can't see that happening again. I might be wrong, but manager turnover is so high, that the odds are stacked against.

Also, I'm quite interested to note this morning that the media – who seem to be desperate to find out what happened with Gus – are making NO mention of this latest development. Arguably TB's comments might not have said much, and raised further questions, but that wouldn't have stopped it being covered before. I'm guessing he wasn't asked anything about it last night when he was on ITV4? We'll wait until Goals on Sunday, then, I guess?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Keep quite about what? Have the club got something to hide? If Gus is totally at fault then why not tell us?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Code:
I'd love to know if the players got wind of this move by Gus at the time he asked to leave.

What I find really intriguing is that we went on our best run of form last season immediately afterwards. Can't get my head around the fact that things deteriorated between Poyet and Bloom whilst the team performances got better.

That's the biggest puzzle of the lot.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here