Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

So Gus asked to leave the club in March!

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
I believe TB has issued a warning to Gus.

'You may have a TV job, but keep quiet or I will let the whole story come out. Comprende?'

I took the opposite. I was thinking Bloom might be trying to provoke Poyet into making a response in one of his many upcoming media spots. Either to get him for breach of confidentiality or more likely just to flush the whole story out and "restore" (amongst whom I'm not sure) the image of the club

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
I think my views on Poyet have just been given some credibility after tonight don't you???

Absolutely! If Poyet was in Balcombe he'd be told to frack off now.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
I was very much on the Gus bus, pretty much all the way up to the play-off defeat to Palace. And whilst the performance and result were very disappointing, I accept it is part of the experience of being a football fan. But the way Gus conducted himself over the next 48 hours (in word and deed) transformed my view of him to the point that I felt it would be best if he were to move on.

Compare the end of last season with the one 35 years previously; Albion had just missed out on promotion to the highest division in equally heart-breaking fashion. What did the manager do? He stood up in the directors box and publicly declared the club would win promotion the following season. A leader issuing a rallying-cry in the moment of despair and disappointment. Fast-forward 35 years, and in pretty similar circumstances, how does Gus react? He blathers on, to various forms of media, about hitting the roof, about needing to speak to the chairman, about how he isn't going to be here forever, no matter how long a contract he signed. In short, it was all about him, and completely disrespectful of the club and its fans.

I have no problems with a manager or player being ambitious, or harbouring thoughts of moving on to another team; but whilst they are at my club I do expect them to act respectfully toward the club (especially when, as manager, you are effectively the figurehead of the organisation). Poyet failed to do that, and he lost my trust that he was acting in the best interests of the Albion.

Excellent summary. That's saved me some time.

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
Code:
I'd love to know if the players got wind of this move by Gus at the time he asked to leave.

What I find really intriguing is that we went on our best run of form last season immediately afterwards. Can't get my head around the fact that things deteriorated between Poyet and Bloom whilst the team performances got better.

If I was a player my attitude would have been " F##K you Gus, I'm going to show you that we can do this without you "

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I was very much on the Gus bus, pretty much all the way up to the play-off defeat to Palace. And whilst the performance and result were very disappointing, I accept it is part of the experience of being a football fan. But the way Gus conducted himself over the next 48 hours (in word and deed) transformed my view of him to the point that I felt it would be best if he were to move on.

Compare the end of last season with the one 35 years previously; Albion had just missed out on promotion to the highest division in equally heart-breaking fashion. What did the manager do? He stood up in the directors box and publicly declared the club would win promotion the following season. A leader issuing a rallying-cry in the moment of despair and disappointment. Fast-forward 35 years, and in pretty similar circumstances, how does Gus react? He blathers on, to various forms of media, about hitting the roof, about needing to speak to the chairman, about how he isn't going to be here forever, no matter how long a contract he signed. In short, it was all about him, and completely disrespectful of the club and its fans.

I have no problems with a manager or player being ambitious, or harbouring thoughts of moving on to another team; but whilst they are at my club I do expect them to act respectfully toward the club (especially when, as manager, you are effectively the figurehead of the organisation). Poyet failed to do that, and he lost my trust that he was acting in the best interests of the Albion.

Perfectly put...

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
The opposite, I'd have said. Gus called TB on March 13 ("four days before the Palace league game") and told him he wanted to leave, the next day if possible.

The following week he was offered the Reading job but turned it down. Was that the action of a man who was desperate to leave?

And was it grounds for suspension? If so, why wait until the end of the season.

To me it answers nothing.

THIS... people need to pay close attention to what is being said before jumping to conclusions. The comment tells us nothing except that Gus wasn't happy in March.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Gus called TB on March 13 ("four days before the Palace league game") and told him he wanted to leave, the next day if possible.

In other words, that week Gus was eager to leave. Very eager.

The following week he was offered the Reading job but turned it down. Was that the action of a man who was desperate to leave?

That's the actions of a man who was very eager to leave but subsequently changed his mind, I'd say. Gus is flaky, we all know that and the above incident proves it.

Let's be clear - Gus wanted to leave 4 days before we were due to play Palace at home and he knew how important that game was for us fans esp after he'd screwed it up the first time round. He wanted to leave us in a right mess because he couldn't even wait 4 days until after the Palace match to go. It shows what his priorities have always been - Gus first, everything else second. All that gubbins about knowing when you come to Brighton that you have to beat Palace. He didn't give a stuff about that, about the club nor us fans.

Well - F**K YOU GUS. F**k you very much.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

That's the actions of a man who was very eager to leave but subsequently changed his mind, I'd say. Gus is flaky, we all know that and the above incident proves it.

Let's be clear - Gus wanted to leave 4 days before we were due to play Palace at home and he knew how important that game was for us fans esp after he'd screwed it up the first time round. He wanted to leave us in a right mess because he couldn't even wait 4 days until after the Palace match to go. It shows what his priorities have always been - Gus first, everything else second. All that gubbins about knowing when you come to Brighton that you have to beat Palace. He didn't give a stuff about that, about the club nor us fans.

Have to agree with this.

I also agree with the post about Gus showing a lack of respect to the fans and the club with his post-play off match conduct.

Now you see, this is what I was trying to put across, but you did it so much better.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The opposite, I'd have said. Gus called TB on March 13 ("four days before the Palace league game") and told him he wanted to leave, the next day if possible.

And was it grounds for suspension? If so, why wait until the end of the season.

To me it answers nothing.

Calling Bloom, telling him you want out and then speaking to Reading is clearly the actions of someone who wants to leave. Given he did not go to Reading suggests he wanted out but not at any cost, which seems perfectly plausible to me.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
We could have accepted his resignation on our terms, ie another club would still have had to pay us if they wanted to take him on.

I agree with you, but Bloom has to prioritise BHAFC over the mood swings of a petulant South American. We've just wasted most of the summer getting rid of him our way, so I can't see why letting him strop off in March would have been any worse. You never know, we might not have totally bottled the biggest match of the season then.

As much as Tony Bloom is a hero to all of us, I can't get my head around the idea that a manager who wanted to resign on March 13th was allowed to stay until May 15th. That's just mental.
100% this. It's all very odd, and why was he made to stay? Utterly ridiculous.

And this.

Last edited:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
It was exactly I think as most of us predicted as time moved on - Gus liked to be centre stage and everything he thought should revolve around him.

Well done the Chairman for managing the situation so well

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Calling Bloom, telling him you want out and then speaking to Reading is clearly the actions of someone who wants to leave. Given he did not go to Reading suggests he wanted out but not at any cost, which seems perfectly plausible to me.

I tend to think he had quite possibly something lined up. If he'd been allowed to go there may have been a Premier League sacking that didn't happen after he was refused permission to leave. If TB had found about Poyet's intentions and the reasons behind it, it would explain the way it finished..

I imagine quite a bit more is now going to come out, once Gus has his say, although I doubt we'll ever know the full story.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003

Saved me some typing, totally agree. I'll never forget Mullery after that Blackpool game, people went away KNOWING that we'd go one step better last time.

The whole Poyet 'end of days' saga is a bit weird and we'll probably never hear all of it. I agree with Kalimantan Gull (and others) that the Poyet era is over and we should let it go - but it's hard to stop discussing it when revelations like this keep coming out like drips from a leaky tap.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
It would be nice to have a 'Gus Free' comment season, gone, done and dusted, move on.

You'd have to change the club you support for that to happen.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
I took the opposite. I was thinking Bloom might be trying to provoke Poyet into making a response in one of his many upcoming media spots. Either to get him for breach of confidentiality or more likely just to flush the whole story out and "restore" (amongst whom I'm not sure) the image of the club
I think not,.... do you really think that the club want this bounced around in the public domain ad infinitum?...... Please..... he said nothing until asked ( 5 mins from the end),... he simply gave the whole scenario a bit of context, broke no confidentialities, end of story.... dignified responses, as they have maintained since this began..... unlike the former manager.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
100% this. It's all very odd, and why was he made to stay? Utterly ridiculous.

Not that ridiculous. Bloom was stuck between a rock and a hard place. I assume he knew more than anyone what promotion would offer, and that in a weak division the season was a fantastic opportunity. Against that Gus clearly thought he was bigger then the Club - and there was only one way that was heading. So what to do ?

It looked like his decision might work. But it still seems to me something happened between the away and home legs in the play-off.

Bald Gull

Jul 5, 2003
London
I tend to think he had quite possibly something lined up. If he'd been allowed to go there may have been a Premier League sacking that didn't happen after he was refused permission to leave. If TB had found about Poyet's intentions and the reasons behind it, it would explain the way it finished..

I imagine quite a bit more is now going to come out, once Gus has his say, although I doubt we'll ever know the full story.

Think that's probably right. Probably got a call/had a meeting along the lines of - if you can extricate yourself from your contract, there is a job for you here but we don't want to pay compo.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here