Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

So Gus asked to leave the club in March!

May 18, 2013
What confuses me is what happened in May. Gus evidently wanted to leave the club and the club had reached a stage where they wanted him gone. Why go through all the suspension/dismissal stuff? If both parties wanted the same outcome then this last summer makes no sense at all.....

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Could it be as simple as the club refused him permission to leave for Reading??

That's not what I've heard. They gave permission (it was part of the contract if a prem club came in and agreed to meet the compensation amount that he could talk to them). I suspect it would have made the boards day of he had left then. But as I say, to have someone's resignation in your hand and then still suspend and discipline them is a strange chain of events.

As I've said before. I was told in April that Gus would leave and it was primarily a result of his relationship (or lack of it) with Paul Barber. I was told of the march bust up and that it was agreed he could go at the end of the season if both parties still felt it was the right thing to do.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
What confuses me is what happened in May. Gus evidently wanted to leave the club and the club had reached a stage where they wanted him gone. Why go through all the suspension/dismissal stuff? If both parties wanted the same outcome then this last summer makes no sense at all.....

Maybe when push come to shove Gus refused to walk.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
He could have talked to other clubs, ( Sunderland/Reading) without the clubs permission, in most sporting circles I think that is called a breach of contract. Tapping up isn't allowed, so why reward him for this behaviour with a compensation package,.... foolish in these tight economic times, or if I was to be cruel,.... throwing good money after bad.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
It would be nice to have a 'Gus Free' comment season, gone, done and dusted, move on.

Does that mean we should not bring up Belotti, Archer, Zamora, Leon Knight, the '83 cup final, etc, etc? What happened is (a big) part of our recent history. I'm not surprised there is so much talk about Gus, to be honest.

I predict there will NEVER be a season when Gus is not mentioned. Spin it whichever way you like, but he has changed the way the club plays football, with a great degree of success. Yes, it might have ended on a sour note, but you can't ignore his role in getting us to the position we are in today. People will talk about the first seasons at the Amex forever and, in turn, part of that talk will be about GP.

I think he was misguided in his post-Palace comments, to say the least. But I also partly forgive him for being a young, relatively inexperienced, manager who clearly has a lot of ambition and says whatever is on his mind at the time, and to hell with the consequences. We'll see if that ambition will ever truly be fulfilled, but I wish him all the best.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Not that ridiculous. Bloom was stuck between a rock and a hard place. I assume he knew more than anyone what promotion would offer, and that in a weak division the season was a fantastic opportunity. Against that Gus clearly thought he was bigger then the Club - and there was only one way that was heading. So what to do ?

It looked like his decision might work. But it still seems to me something happened between the away and home legs in the play-off.
Yes, I've since thought that one through and take it back. Not that odd at all.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Does that mean we should not bring up Belotti, Archer, Zamora, Leon Knight, the '83 cup final, etc, etc? What happened is (a big) part of our recent history. I'm not surprised there is so much talk about Gus, to be honest.

I predict there will NEVER be a season when Gus is not mentioned. Spin it whichever way you like, but he has changed the way the club plays football, with a great degree of success. Yes, it might have ended on a sour note, but you can't ignore his role in getting us to the position we are in today. People will talk about the first seasons at the Amex forever and, in turn, part of that talk will be about GP.

I think he was misguided in his post-Palace comments, to say the least. But I also partly forgive him for being a young, relatively inexperienced, manager who clearly has a lot of ambition and says whatever is on his mind at the time, and to hell with the consequences. We'll see if that ambition will ever truly be fulfilled, but I wish him all the best.

McGee, Wilkins, Adams, Murray...

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Exactly, he will not be able to let this go without defending himself. I expect the dirty laundry to be washed in public now. Interesting and sad times coming but we have only heard one side of the story so far, and as we all know there are always two sides to a story like this.

exactly...now its known he wanted to leave...people will say it was because of his ambition...but (part of me) would like to hear from poyet himself..was it Barber? its all speculation still

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Without a payoff, hence what followed.

But he was in talks to get compo/pay off right until the end (Gus said they were talking right until he got the sack). Very strange situaiton

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

Best post on the thread. The sensible attitude to take.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset

Nobody will doubt or forget the overall legacy left behind by Gus, but its therapeutic for those of us a little more emotional about these things, that we mull over all the possibilities and actualities,... human nature dictates that we worry,... so here we are, debating the whole thing again, with the added spice that the 'March' revelation has provided.

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009

Excellent post.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Very interesting timing.

Was Di Canio first choice at Sunderland ? How significant was the level of the compensation in Gus' contract ???

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here