Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sir Alex Ferguson has confirmed Wayne Rooney wants to leave Manchester United.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
One word

Bebe :ohmy:£7.8 million :ohmy::ohmy::ohmy::ohmy::ohmy:

Thread closed

that is the one that is a complete mystery

its still early days though, and he could turn out to be amazing. highly unlikely though. there has to have been something dodgy surrounding that deal for it to happen

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
Oh dear. Is that it? If fletcher is the best since 1995 then that's not patchy - that's woeful. Really really terrible for the Worlds largest club.

To compare Ronaldo and Rooney to Fabregas is also false. Both Rooney and Ronaldo were household names and internationals before they went to Man U. Just look at how much Man U paid for them and at what period in their careers they were.

No-one at all had heard of a small Spanish 16 yr old that Arsenal bought for, what? A couple of Doritos and a bottle of Sangria.

Try again.

fletcher would be an england regular if he wasnt a jock. although admittedley that is more to do with the fact that we have a complete lack of decent holding midfield players

rooney and ronaldo may have been household names and internationals, but that doesnt mean they were the real deal when united signed them. how many players have been tipped as the next big thing and looked like it at that age only to never fulfill their potential? ronaldo and rooney, with their egos and attitudes could quite easily have gone the same way as gascogine. ferguson played a massive part in turning them into what they are today

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
That's not quite what I said but let's go with your assertion. If they are all bad at producing quality internationals then Man U - nurtured mediocrities should make up part of the nucleus of our national mediocrities shouldn't they?

But no, against their peers their record is also shocking. Arsenal, Leeds, Everton, Boro, Spurs, West Ham have all produced better players.

West Ham have produced some great players. But to say MU's record is shocking is a bit much isn't it? The majority of Arsenal's young players have been bought from other youth systems i.e. Barca, Cardiff, Southampton etc. Everton have some excellent talent coming through. Spurs, what Lennon, Huddlestone, is that it? Come on, be a bit objective about it. You can't say MU aren't producing any young players when they've retained the Carling Cup 2 years running, pretty much with all their young players. Some of them won't be good enough, but the intent and investment is there.

If MU is shocking, what about Liverpool, Chelsea, crikey, abysmal!

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Second to none?

How about the likes of Shankly and Clough, both of whom took teams from the arse end of the second division to the division one title, and then onto the European Cup?

Well, someone might well have the chance to do the same with Liverpool again soon. :lolol:

To me Clough is head and shoulders above any other British manager: he took a team from the second division to the League title and then did it again - and then on to the European Cup. Twice. He did that without being the richest club in the world and a virtually unlimited transfer budget.

The other thing about Clough (and Shankly too) is that you hardly hear any of his ex-players slag him off (I know Wardy had issues but I meant out-and-out Clough regulars). In fact, he's really admired by just about all the Derby and Forest old boys. No-one could say the same about Taggart, who seems to fall out with players regularly

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
Well I suspect that the reason Shrek is going is because Utd NEED the money. I think that the debt is begining to hurt now and they need to cash in and because very soon they will get very little for him.

It wouldn't suprise me if this whole thing has been engineered to offload him without too much loss of face to both sides. Yes losing Rooney might at first sound bad but it sounds a lot better than we are going bust if we don't sell him.

The sale figure fits in quite well with the amount of loss made last year and it stops them going into freefall and having to sell their other stars. The reported unknown reason for him wanting to go also allows them to sell him to a Champions league rival or even worse Citeh or Chelsea.

Taggarts press conference today was too enlightening and lets face it they pulled a similar stroke with Ronaldo.

Not only are they in debt but with Chelsea mopping up the domestic stuff and their lack of success in Europe of late means they are not getting the income to service the debt.

This is the start of a fire sale!

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
Well, someone might well have the chance to do the same with Liverpool again soon. :lolol:

To me Clough is head and shoulders above any other British manager: he took a team from the second division to the League title and then did it again - and then on to the European Cup. Twice. He did that without being the richest club in the world and a virtually unlimited transfer budget.

The other thing about Clough (and Shankly too) is that you hardly hear any of his ex-players slag him off (I know Wardy had issues but I meant out-and-out Clough regulars). In fact, he's really admired by just about all the Derby and Forest old boys. No-one could say the same about Taggart, who seems to fall out with players regularly

No-one had a bad word to say about Bill Nicholson either.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
Rooney would'nt get in our RESERVES side the way we're going, thanks but no thanks roooooooonneeeeeeyyyyy!

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
The worst thing about this is it allows Alan Green to pontificate and disappear up his own arse on Five Live.

He's just claimed that if another radio station offered him twice the money he would turn it down because he has 'standards'

TWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT

fletcher would be an england regular if he wasnt a jock. although admittedley that is more to do with the fact that we have a complete lack of decent holding midfield players

rooney and ronaldo may have been household names and internationals, but that doesnt mean they were the real deal when united signed them. how many players have been tipped as the next big thing and looked like it at that age only to never fulfill their potential? ronaldo and rooney, with their egos and attitudes could quite easily have gone the same way as gascogine. ferguson played a massive part in turning them into what they are today

Fletcher would only be an England player in the same way that Scott Parker is an England player. Just a fringe player. In fact, Parker would probably be Scotland's star player if he was a jock. Seriously, the world's biggest club and the best player that they can produce from their ranks since 1995 is Fletcher.

Darren Fletcher.

There's a facepalm or Wozza smiley just itching to be used there.

And yes, Ronaldo and Rooney were the real deal. That's why Man U paid so much for both of them. They weren't wingers languishing in some Italian reserves that were turned into pedigree strikers (a la Henry). They weren't unkbown talents - these were the hottest young commodities around at the time. Once again - it's why they paid so much for them.

And as for comparisons with Gascoigne you don't know what Rooney's gonna turn out like but currently under Ferguson he sleeps with whores whilst his missus is pregnant, smokes and drinks till all hours and is never off the front pages the last few months for the wrong reasons. Would he be any different under any other manager? I doubt it. He's 23. If he's like that now what's he gonna be like at 33? Will he last that long at the current rate? This can't really be much worse at the moment for Rooney. And that's Ferguson nurturing him is it?

Ferguson took top players to a top club and playing them with other top players in a top league. That is not nurturing young talent as most neutrals would see it.

You really are not making a convincing argument here.

Last edited:

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Who will pay £50m for him in January though?

Barca, Real and Chelsea will be put off because he is cup tied for the Champions League. They will also be aware that on 1 July Rooney can apply the Webster ruling and buy out the rest of his contract for £5m.

So that leaves Citeh, who admittedly have more money than sense, but if there is only one buyer in a market why pay £50m for someone who will be worth £5m in six months?

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
I think Citeh would buy him for £90M now just to rub their noses in it.

And I think Man U would take it too! In their position they would be daft not too

West Ham have produced some great players. But to say MU's record is shocking is a bit much isn't it? The majority of Arsenal's young players have been bought from other youth systems i.e. Barca, Cardiff, Southampton etc. Everton have some excellent talent coming through. Spurs, what Lennon, Huddlestone, is that it? Come on, be a bit objective about it. You can't say MU aren't producing any young players when they've retained the Carling Cup 2 years running, pretty much with all their young players. Some of them won't be good enough, but the intent and investment is there.

If MU is shocking, what about Liverpool, Chelsea, crikey, abysmal!

So with all objectivity please name one player that's come through the ranks at Man U who is a regular England International

Here you go. The current list:

England national football team - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If you fail at that can you name any single player they have brought through the ranks since 1995 that went on to become a regular England international . Wes Brown was hardly world class or a regular. 23 caps in 11 years.

That's 15 years worth of England teams. You just need to name one regular international player. And this is the world's biggest club remember - with all their resources and allegedly a manager who ranks alongside Wenger in nurturing talent. Good luck.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Personally I think a spell in the championship would be just the sort of humble pie that the likes of Utd and Liverpool, plus their legions of plastic supporters, actually deserve. Everyone is going on about how forlorn poor Ferguson looks. Well, for my money, he is just playing the media game and setting out their stool. Just as politicians rely on spin then so do the top football clubs in their dealings. If Rooney wants to leave Utd and would be happier at another club, even if it is just for more money, then if that makes him happy and he plays better for England then that makes me happy.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
The worst thing about this is it allows Alan Green to pontificate and disappear up his own arse on Five Live.

He's just claimed that if another radio station offered him twice the money he would turn it down because he has 'standards'

TWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT

Indeed.

Mind you, young Wayne does leave the door wide open when it comes to occupying the moral high ground. The hapless granny-banger even makes me look like the proverbial paragon of virtue. :lolol:

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I was enjoying this thread until EP mentioned the worst commentator in the world. Alan Green has been up his own arse on too many occassions to mention it's beyond a joke. I'd happily pay my licence fee to another broadcaster to take him off the BBC's hands.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I was enjoying this thread until EP mentioned the worst commentator in the world. Alan Green has been up his own arse on too many occassions to mention it's beyond a joke. I'd happily pay my licence fee to another broadcaster to take him off the BBC's hands.

Sorry Drew :(

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

I noticed that he was not on the 5Live team for The Ryder Cup this year, which also enhanced the result IMHO

ILIKECANDLES

Banned
Sep 1, 2010
There's more to this than meets the eye and somethings going to come out so let's see what breaks.

I was think this afternoon didn't he have a problem with Owen over a betting debt when he first started for England?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here