Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sir Alex Ferguson has confirmed Wayne Rooney wants to leave Manchester United.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I totally agree with this. MU never had the debt hanging over them when they've dipped in form before i.e. not winning the title for 3 years between 2004 - 2006. If that happens again, that debt is going to start to exert some serious gravity. Jose pretty much nailed on Fergie replacement though you would think, the guy is practically handed his CV to them already!

As I said yesterday, Fergie wants Moyes as his successor and he'll have a lot of clout.

If it's not Moyes, I really can't see it being Mourinho. United are going to be strapped for cash for the foreseeable future and I can't see The Special One going to a club that's been a major player to preside over its decline.

I can see him going to City though ...:lolol:

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
I totally agree with this. MU never had the debt hanging over them when they've dipped in form before i.e. not winning the title for 3 years between 2004 - 2006. If that happens again, that debt is going to start to exert some serious gravity. Jose pretty much nailed on Fergie replacement though you would think, the guy is practically handed his CV to them already!

As per a previous post, Moyes is favoured due to the job he has done at Everton wit the budget he has had (albeit this season hasnt been great).

What I have heard is that the people upstairs at Old Trafford are not to keen on Jose due to his character and outspoken interviews!

Steve Bruce also appears to be coming to fruition in the role of manager so dont count him out having a leading role in the future at old trafford!

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Can we just nail this myth that Fergie has a knack for breeding talent.

Since that youth cup side what has he done that is remarkable in bringing kids forward? A couple of Premiership squad/international fringe players is hardly gonna cover it.

To support this, take a look what happened to the FA Youth Cup winning side of 2003

Fergie didn't bring any of these through

Whatever Happened To: Manchester United FA Youth Cup Winners 2003 (Squarefootball :: original football articles)

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I don't have a huge issue with Taggart, he has at least always tried to play attacking football, but has reaped the benefit of

1) A fantastic year of youth team players in 1992
2) Cantona
3) The formation of the Premiership, which skewed rewards towards the big clubs because Sky were inclined to show them on the box more often for ratings reasons. This was repeated with the creation of the Champions League, a self serving organisation whose motives were to allow the big clubs to draw up the drawbridge domestically, and convince the illiterati via their poodles in the media that they were watching something worthwhile (Marseille v MSK Zilina, Braga v Partizan Belgrade tonight anyone?) in meaningless group games purely as a means of generating revenue for the rapacious G14 group.

Despite being the 'World's Richest Club' for a significant part of his 21 year tenure, Taggart has only delivered the Champions League twice, the first time his team were outplayed for 89 minutes, (Bayern displaying an Albion like inability to reflect their superiority during this period) and the second was due to John Terry being unable to shoot straight from 12 yards.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
The players you mentioned all came good 15 years ago. Since then please name one, just one, world class player to come through the youth team.

Since 1995 Ferguson has been a cheque book manager.

there is a difference between players coming through a youth team and bringing on young talent

admittedley, the record of home grown players is patchy, with fletcher probably the best of the lot since 1995. but the likes of ronaldo, nani, anderson and rooney have been under the wing of ferguson as developing players and he has helped shaped their careers and make them what they are today

its the same with fabregas - he is not a product of the arsenal youth team, but it is pretty much agreed that without wenger he wouldnt be the player he is today

there is a difference between players coming through a youth team and bringing on young talent

admittedley, the record of home grown players is patchy, with fletcher probably the best of the lot since 1995. but the likes of ronaldo, nani, anderson and rooney have been under the wing of ferguson as developing players and he has helped shaped their careers and make them what they are today

its the same with fabregas - he is not a product of the arsenal youth team, but it is pretty much agreed that without wenger he wouldnt be the player he is today

Oh dear. Is that it? If fletcher is the best since 1995 then that's not patchy - that's woeful. Really really terrible for the Worlds largest club.

To compare Ronaldo and Rooney to Fabregas is also false. Both Rooney and Ronaldo were household names and internationals before they went to Man U. Just look at how much Man U paid for them and at what period in their careers they were.

No-one at all had heard of a small Spanish 16 yr old that Arsenal bought for, what? A couple of Doritos and a bottle of Sangria.

Try again.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut

One word

Bebe :ohmy:£7.8 million :ohmy::ohmy::ohmy::ohmy::ohmy:

Thread closed

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Ferguson's record as a manager in England is, arguably, second to none, and yet he's getting some shocking stick on here.

The bottom line is Man Utd aren't prepared to double Rooney's wages and his head's been turned by the likes of City. Loyalty means nothing to Rooney - "once a Blue always a blue" - yeah, right! Having a pop at the England fans for booing their shocking performances in the World Cup - very clever.

When it comes to players flexing their muscles with Fergie, the manager has always come out on top. However, given Fergie's age, the Glazer debt, Rooney's attitude and the lack of talent in the British game, it looks like that 19th title might elude him.

The situation is becoming tailor-made for Mourinho to take this stumbling giant and make them No. 1 again. If I was a Utd fan I'd almost want Real Madrid to do the La Liga/Champions League double this season so he'd cross them off his CV and move onto the next challenge. City have changed the game in this country and if Man Utd aren't careful it could get really messy.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
i cant see him going abroad.....which means he'll go to City or Chelsea:ohmy:

He could go abroad, he is bi-lingual after all, he has learned to speak English in the last couple of years.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
To support this, take a look what happened to the FA Youth Cup winning side of 2003

Fergie didn't bring any of these through

Whatever Happened To: Manchester United FA Youth Cup Winners 2003 (Squarefootball :: original football articles)

He didn't bring any of them through at MU, but a lot of them have gone on to have successful careers, all be it at other clubs.

This country has a massive problem with developing young home grown talent, Pot Noodle has pointed out that not many world class players have come out of OT recently, but what of any of the other top Prem clubs? Been pretty poor all round, hence out national side is so poor.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Ferguson's record as a manager in England is, arguably, second to none, and yet he's getting some shocking stick on here.

Second to none?

How about the likes of Shankly and Clough, both of whom took teams from the arse end of the second division to the division one title, and then onto the European Cup?

fire&skill

Killer-Diller
Jan 17, 2009
Shoreham-by-Sea
"I had a meeting with him. He intimated to me in his own way that he wanted to leave"

A Scouser and a Weegie talking together; is there not a chance that Rooney actually said that he wanted to finish his career at United but the gutteral meanderings of both parties caused confusion? Perhaps an interpreter was required.

He didn't bring any of them through at MU, but a lot of them have gone on to have successful careers, all be it at other clubs.

This country has a massive problem with developing young home grown talent, Pot Noodle has pointed out that not many world class players have come out of OT recently, but what of any of the other top Prem clubs? Been pretty poor all round, hence out national side is so poor.

That's not quite what I said but let's go with your assertion. If they are all bad at producing quality internationals then Man U - nurtured mediocrities should make up part of the nucleus of our national mediocrities shouldn't they?

But no, against their peers their record is also shocking. Arsenal, Leeds, Everton, Boro, Spurs, West Ham have all produced better players.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here