Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Should the supporters bar (Dick's Bar) allow children to enter?

Should the supporters bar allow entrance to children?

• Yes

Votes: 84 44.0%
  • No

Votes: 107 56.0%

• Total voters

BHABen

Jan 12, 2010
Basically all the people on here who say no, have no children and probably dont like children. I went to 30 games last year with my 9 year old and can safely say it was my favourite season in the 27 years ive been supporting Brighton, two reasons because we won the league and obviously my son was there with me all the way for the ride. Dont get me wrong, im not one of these parents that will take my children in the pub every week, that i dont believe. However i would rather have 20 kids eating a pack of crisps and drinking coke, than one complete knobhead whos had to much to drink being a pain in the arse. If they decide to have the bar adults only then so be it, however i cant understand why people would have any problem with children in a bar in the middle of the afternoon.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
What a pointless argument, you may as well argue about whether it's ethical to bring in tactical nuclear missiles on the park 'n' ride buses. I said on the other thread that as the capacity is about 1% of the stadium capacity even if only 2% of the crowd want to go to Dick's then that's about 200 inside and 200 waiting to get in. My kids (when they were kids) wouldn't have liked it at all, indeed I might even have been grateful for the ban so I didn't even have to think about trying. The vast majority of the crowd won't get in (despite the fact they're all supporters and therefore should be allowed into a supporters' bar), and that applies whether you're an unmarried real ale fanatic who has been to every Brighton game since 1956 or a social worker supervising a busload of orphans.

Curly5194

Jun 20, 2011
Horsham
Basically all the people on here who say no, have no children and probably dont like children. I went to 30 games last year with my 9 year old and can safely say it was my favourite season in the 27 years ive been supporting Brighton, two reasons because we won the league and obviously my son was there with me all the way for the ride. Dont get me wrong, im not one of these parents that will take my children in the pub every week, that i dont believe. However i would rather have 20 kids eating a pack of crisps and drinking coke, than one complete knobhead whos had to much to drink being a pain in the arse. If they decide to have the bar adults only then so be it, however i cant understand why people would have any problem with children in a bar in the middle of the afternoon.

Incorrect. I have two girls one aged 12 and the other 7. I voted no to children because I don't think children should be allowed in to pubs until they are 16 full stop. We wonder why we have a youth drinking problem in the UK but we let our children in to pubs where they can see the array of drinks on offer and you think they don't get hooked at an early age? We didn't have a drinking problem 20 years ago because children were not allowed in to pubs as they are now. My view only.

You cannot have it both ways. Allow children in to bars and live with the drinking culture we have created!

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Well put.

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
Incorrect. I have two girls one aged 12 and the other 7. I voted no to children because I don't think children should be allowed in to pubs until they are 16 full stop. We wonder why we have a youth drinking problem in the UK but we let our children in to pubs where they can see the array of drinks on offer and you think they don't get hooked at an early age? We didn't have a drinking problem 20 years ago because children were not allowed in to pubs as they are now. My view only.

You cannot have it both ways. Allow children in to bars and live with the drinking culture we have created!

Missing the point i am afraid. This is about the whole MATCHDAY experience, not to do with drinking and pubs in general. I don't go to football games to get drunk. I go to have one or two drinks and talk about the game. I would be happy if Dick's Bar just sold tea and coffee quite honestly because the most important aspect is the social side and having somewhere comfortable to meet friends and talk about the game and watch the results. The concourses do not provide this.

Curly5194

Jun 20, 2011
Horsham
Missing the point i am afraid. This is about the whole MATCHDAY experience, not to do with drinking and pubs in general. I don't go to football games to get drunk. I go to have one or two drinks and talk about the game. I would be happy if Dick's Bar just sold tea and coffee quite honestly because the most important aspect is the social side and having somewhere comfortable to meet friends and talk about the game and watch the results. The concourses do not provide this.

I'm not sure whether calling it a MATCHDAY experience justifies having young children mixing in a "bar" environment. It still gives them the wrong impression at an early age. Perhaps I'm just an old bugger and as my girls both HATE football with a vengence there is no chance of me ever bringing them to a game. Sour grapes?? Maybe slightly!! But then if my girls ever did attend a game, they would want to visit the club shop, not see me drinking and talking to mates!

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
I can see both sides to be honest. I suspect the image a lot of those voting No is kids running around, unsupervised, getting hyped up on cola and crisps.

My experience from the Cricketers and Sportman (amongst other pubs) is not that at all. Children typically start going from around aged eight onwards (maybe sooner), typically they are with their parent (and not a group of friends), and mostly they appreciate it is a treat being out in a largely adult environment with one of their parents. And most act accordingly. That is my experience anyway. So it seems madness to try and stop a problem that does not happen.

And to go down the route of checking ID's at the door - so that under 18's for example can't go in - I think if you are 17 you really should be able to go in, and if you make it 14 - how are you going to enforce it ?

It just seems mean-spirited, ill-advised, and not in the spirit of the Albion and supporters - who let's face it - over the last 20 years should be bloomin grateful to those parents who have made sure their offspring support the Albion.

Curly5194

Jun 20, 2011
Horsham
Oh well we are a democratic society and currently the "no's" have it, as they say.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I can see both sides to be honest. I suspect the image a lot of those voting No is kids running around, unsupervised, getting hyped up on cola and crisps.

My experience from the Cricketers and Sportman (amongst other pubs) is not that at all. Children typically start going from around aged eight onwards (maybe sooner), typically they are with their parent (and not a group of friends), and mostly they appreciate it is a treat being out in a largely adult environment with one of their parents. And most act accordingly. That is my experience anyway. So it seems madness to try and stop a problem that does not happen.

It just seems mean-spirited, ill-advised, and not in the spirit of the Albion and supporters - who let's face it - over the last 20 years should be bloomin grateful to those parents who have made sure their offspring support the Albion.

That is exactly my experience too, and I share your views.

One thing that is striking in these two threads is that, with a few exceptions, how much more eloquently one side of the arguement is being put than the other.

Basically there are TWO points being held up as reasons by the 'no camp'.

One is that an adult is more deserving of the use of one of the 250 spaces than a child. Crucially, whilst I've now read this a dozen times, I've yet to see an answer to my question WHY this should be so.

The other is that its 'meant to be a place to get pissed and swear'. Great argument. If you are worried that, the presence of a few well-behaved kids might deny you the opportunity to use the word f*** a few times, that says far more about you than them.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
The other is that its 'meant to be a place to get pissed and swear'. Great argument. If you are worried that, the presence of a few well-behaved kids might deny you the opportunity to use the word f*** a few times, that says far more about you than them.

... in which case, a football stadium is no place for kids either, let alone a bar.

And that would be a bit silly.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither

One is that an adult is more deserving of the use of one of the 250 spaces than a child. Crucially, whilst I've now read this a dozen times, I've yet to see an answer to my question WHY this should be so.

I would argue that the presence of kids (perhaps we should call them young adults) will enhance the pre-match experience for everyone. It is a pleasure seeing other people's children. Of course there are other bars around, but this is the supporter's bar - and we are all Albion supporters.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
That is exactly my experience too, and I share your views.

One thing that is striking in these two threads is that, with a few exceptions, how much more eloquently one side of the arguement is being put than the other.

You forgot to add that one side seems to take the no kids rule as yet another AFFRONT to the supporters and is used as yet another stick to beat the club with.

Even though I voted no in the poll, and am not unhappy with the ruling, I do agree that there is no real argument for refusing kids entry to the bar, it does indeed seem quite arbitrary.

However, I really cannot understand the vitriol directed at the club on this issue as it affects such a small amount of people. The 22,250 people who will also find themselves locked out of the bar will have to find themselves somewhere else to go, be it the concourses or a pub in town. This whole debate has yet been another tedious exercise of Albion bashing from people who seem to be forgetting that we are now going to able to watch the football in what will seem like positively luxurious surroundings compared to what we are used to.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
You forgot to add that one side seems to take the no kids rule as yet another AFFRONT to the supporters and is used as yet another stick to beat the club with.

Even though I voted no in the poll, and am not unhappy with the ruling, I do agree that there is no real argument for refusing kids entry to the bar, it does indeed seem quite arbitrary.

However, I really cannot understand the vitriol directed at the club on this issue as it affects such a small amount of people. The 22,250 people who will also find themselves locked out of the bar will have to find themselves somewhere else to go, be it the concourses or a pub in town. This whole debate has yet been another tedious exercise of Albion bashing from people who seem to be forgetting that we are now going to able to watch the football in what will seem like positively luxurious surroundings compared to what we are used to.

Wow. You would have to be a sensitive soul to take postings on here as "beating the club". Not much vitriol that I have seen.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

I'm not beating the club with anything. I won't be using the bar anyway.

Honestly, I have zero vitriol for the club. All my vitriol is saved for those amongst my fellow Albion fans who are trying in vain to JUSTIFY this.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here