Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Should the supporters bar (Dick's Bar) allow children to enter?

Should the supporters bar allow entrance to children?

• Yes

Votes: 84 44.0%
  • No

Votes: 107 56.0%

• Total voters

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
When we played Villa away in the Cup, we had a great time in the pub before the game.

I can't remember the name of the pub now but I can remember it was ram-jam packed with Albion fans. It literally took me an hour or so to get served. It was hot, sweaty and beery. It was football-y.

I met several friends there and I was with my heavily pregnant partner. And my 7 year old daughter. [MENTION=5200]Ponce Mohammed Buzzer[/MENTION] had one of his lads there too and I tell you what the kids loved it. LOVED IT. They loved the feel of camaraderie that being part of a partisan football crowd in a pub (bar) is all about. We all know that feeling. They loved handing out some of the ridiculous number of balloons NSC had bought for the day. They probably liked their coke, lemonade or whatever. They largely sat quietly playing games on a handheld device. The men, including the Dads, had a couple of beers (note: didn't get drunk) and talked about football. The Dads loved having their kids with them in that partisan throng.

It's a shame that the law is stopping similar at the Amex.

That's not really the argument here though. Nobody is saying all children should be barred from all pubs. Just this particular bar in which demand for spaces is likely to far out strip the supply.

If it turns out to be less popular than we thought on matchdays and nobody ever gets turned away I'll happily change my opinion and say let everyone and anyone in. I don't think that'll be the case though.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
That's not really the argument here though. Nobody is saying all children should be barred from all pubs. Just this particular bar in which demand for spaces is likely to far out strip the supply.

If it turns out to be less popular than we thought on matchdays and nobody ever gets turned away I'll happily change my opinion and say let everyone and anyone in. I don't think that'll be the case though.

This isn't a supply and demand issue though - it's the law, remember.

(It was a supply and demand issue at Villa - many left because the place was rammed with some of the oh-so-precious space being taken by my pesky kid, and the bump that became kid2 some months later.)

Mr deez

Masterchef
Jan 13, 2005
Not fussed either way, it's not all that exciting in there, doubt I'll bother going in after a couple of games, rather a pub.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Nope. But more do than don't judging by the things I see in every cafe/restaurant in town. And selective banning would be a bit tricky. Besides that, there's nothing wrong with one place in the whole stadium that's intended for adults.

This is absolute shit frankly. I've just been out with my family to a pub in Worthing. I noticed plenty of children including my two and not one was running around. Children are only little adults not a different animal.

There is no better experience for a dad than taking their child to football and it's not just the match it's the whole event, and that includes mixing with other supporters beforehand.

I've yet to see a single reason yet why children are not allowed on the bar?

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
But you've already established that's not the case.

Either the club has its wires crossed or someone may have unwisely thought it better not to state that they would prefer to keep Dick's Bar for adults as there are plenty of other places children can get their snacks and drinks (perhaps trying to avoid the sort of binfest which is greeting just about every decision they make).

Either way, it's still their prerogative to decide what rules to apply on the premises. I'd imagine they'll feel vindicated by the fact that the place is very likely to be packed to the rafters every week regardless.

See-Goals

DIIIIIIIIIIIIIVE
Aug 13, 2004
Seaford
Are we over estimating the part Dick's bar is going to play in our own match day routines? How many people are actually going to try and go every game compared to those who might stick their head in after a few weeks to see what the fuss is about and, well, that will be it!

I would make the sweeping generalisation that most people will probably meet in pubs off site, in their local areas or presumably the Swan with its new found love of all things Albion will be more accommodaing for children?

Maybe the club should sort out a soft play area / pit, we could call it Dick n Balls.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
And for those that are thinking what's the issue there are concourses, they're really not all that you know. Yes they're better than at Pompey or Palace or most old grounds but in basic terms they are the underneath of a concrete steel structure with a bit of token art on the wall and some relatively expensive drink and food. The supporters bar is therefore the only proper pub experience anywhere near the ground.

osgood

Apr 17, 2011
brighton
Read the post. 20 minutes I stood behind someone (one person) ordering for more than one person (one adult and three kids) while some f***ing Latvian got to grips with a) mastering the language b) pouring a pint and c) working a till. You want that experience? you're welcome to it.

Christ.

yeah , i was in a long slow queue too, ordering for my kids too, not best pleased either,
but wouldve given you short-shrift for trying to blame them for the caterers (lack of )organisation and choice of some employees

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Frankly I have no intention of going to it on matchdays. I suspect it will just be full of the normal Costa etc chronies from opening time who probably look upon it as their bar. But I just think it's morally wrong to ban children.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Given the number of young men who watch football, the door policy at Dick's is going to be quite a thing to manage, is it not?

As it's the law that's stopping minors from entering on match days, the club can't piss around with this - presumably anyone who appears to be under the age of 25 will have to present ID to get in.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Are we over estimating the part Dick's bar is going to play in our own match day routines?

Suspect you are completely right. Dick's Bar will be stuffed to capacity with exactly the same freaks who stuffed The Sportsman to capacity about three hours before kick-off at Withdean. Making it a no-go area for the rest of us.

Oh well :shrug:

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
And for those that are thinking what's the issue there are concourses, they're really not all that you know. Yes they're better than at Pompey or Palace or most old grounds but in basic terms they are the underneath of a concrete steel structure with a bit of token art on the wall and some relatively expensive drink and food. The supporters bar is therefore the only proper pub experience anywhere near the ground.

Agree with that. The club has ridiculously oversold the quality of the concourses during the building process.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Agree with that. The club has ridiculously oversold the quality of the concourses during the building process.

It's much better on the East and West sides than in the North Stand. I wouldn't say in those two that they've oversold the quality - most new grounds outside of the Premier League have just been breeze blocks and a lick of paint if you're lucky.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here