Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Should the supporters bar (Dick's Bar) allow children to enter?

Should the supporters bar allow entrance to children?

• Yes

Votes: 84 44.0%
  • No

Votes: 107 56.0%

• Total voters

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I personally wouldn't want to take my 6 year old into a crowded bar at the game and don't think it would be fair on her. She would drink a glass of water in about 1 hour and therefore not bring in much income to the bar. Having said all that, my opinion is due to the fact she is only 6 but for older children (+14?) may be a different situation. Purely a personal opinion though.

I'm not intending to take my kids there either, as we are going to be arriving quite late. Not wanting to use it, and being banned from doing so, are very different things though. I'm yet to hear one VALID reason why people should be denied the choice.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Calling it Dick's Bar will certainly help with the homophobia we get...........

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Because, believe it or not, some people actually quite enjoy being in an adults only environment when they're having a beer or a meal. Are they lesser fans because they don't want kids running around? Is their money worth less?

Do all kids run around?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
The clue is in the word 'bar'. Its there primarily to serve alcoholic beverages. And its small enough as it is. Having stood quietly seething in the queue at the North Stand kiosk at the SSC behind a dad ordering about thirty quids worth of shit for the three kids in his charge, which took about 20 minutes while the Eastern European server went quietly into meltdown, I don't really ever want to repeat the experience. In fact I refuse to. Don't really give a shit about Dick's Bar, or indeed the useless kiosks. If they won't take my money before or after a match, plenty of places in town that will. Club's loss :shrug:

Is it going to sell exclusively alcoholic drinks? I take it you are advocating banning teetotal adults too?

And now the slow service was the kids' fault too?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Is it going to sell exclusively alcoholic drinks? I take it you are advocating banning teetotal adults too?

And now the slow service was the kids' fault too?

Like I say, don't really care. Went ten years at Withdean without buying any food at half time on account of stupidly long queues. Quite happy to do the same at Falmer :shrug:

See-Goals

DIIIIIIIIIIIIIVE
Aug 13, 2004
Seaford
The clue is in the word 'bar'. Its there primarily to serve alcoholic beverages. And its small enough as it is. Having stood quietly seething in the queue at the North Stand kiosk at the SSC behind a dad ordering about thirty quids worth of shit for the three kids in his charge, which took about 20 minutes while the Eastern European server went quietly into meltdown, I don't really ever want to repeat the experience. In fact I refuse to. Don't really give a shit about Dick's Bar, or indeed the useless kiosks. If they won't take my money before or after a match, plenty of places in town that will. Club's loss :shrug:

You "don't ever want to repeat the experience" of having to queue behind someone ordering for more than one person?!

Christ.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
You "don't ever want to repeat the experience" of having to queue behind someone ordering for more than one person?!

Christ.

Read the post. 20 minutes I stood behind someone (one person) ordering for more than one person (one adult and three kids) while some f***ing Latvian got to grips with a) mastering the language b) pouring a pint and c) working a till. You want that experience? you're welcome to it.

Christ.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
I'm yet to hear one VALID reason why people should be denied the choice.

There were plenty of valid reasons on the other thread, you just choose not to accept them.

I could reverse your logic, I'm going to go to my local park tomorrow and play on the swings all day. I pay my council tax as did my parents before me, I have just as much right as those children to sit on them. If there were kids wanting to play on the swings do you think that would be reasonable of me to deprive them of the chance? I would be within my rights to do so.

See-Goals

DIIIIIIIIIIIIIVE
Aug 13, 2004
Seaford
Read the post. 20 minutes I stood behind someone (one person) ordering for more than one person (one adult and three kids).

Christ.

Fair enough, 20 minutes is ridiculous however not sure the fact it was food being bought for kids merits being brought up in this thread.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
When we played Villa away in the Cup, we had a great time in the pub before the game.

I can't remember the name of the pub now but I can remember it was ram-jam packed with Albion fans. It literally took me an hour or so to get served. It was hot, sweaty and beery. It was football-y.

I met several friends there and I was with my heavily pregnant partner. And my 7 year old daughter. [MENTION=5200]Ponce Mohammed Buzzer[/MENTION] had one of his lads there too and I tell you what the kids loved it. LOVED IT. They loved the feel of camaraderie that being part of a partisan football crowd in a pub (bar) is all about. We all know that feeling. They loved handing out some of the ridiculous number of balloons NSC had bought for the day. They probably liked their coke, lemonade or whatever. They largely sat quietly playing games on a handheld device. The men, including the Dads, had a couple of beers (note: didn't get drunk) and talked about football. The Dads loved having their kids with them in that partisan throng.

It's a shame that the law is stopping similar at the Amex.

Alby

Jan 4, 2005
West Sussex
Suspect the reason is simply to do with the Licensing authority who would not grant a childrens certificate. therefore the club has to abide by the terms of its license.

Last edited:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Suspect the reason is simply to do with the Licensing authority simply would not grant a childrens certificate. therefore the club has to abide by the terms of its license.

B&HCC write:

"Dear Darren

We issued the Premises Licence for regulated entertainment and alcohol in May this year. There are no conditions on the licence preventing children from being in the bar on match days. The law allows for children to be on licensed premises providing they are accompanied by an adult (over 18). If what you’ve been told is the case then it’s not because it’s a requirement of the Premises Licence or the Licence Act 2003. I can only presume it’s the clubs own policy or possibly part of the Safety Certificate."

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Fair enough, 20 minutes is ridiculous however not sure the fact it was food being bought for kids merits being brought up in this thread.

Fair enough mate. Buying food for any four people of any age would have proved equally tortuous at that wretched North Stand kiosk. Apologies, kids!

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Do all kids run around?

Nope. But more do than don't judging by the things I see in every cafe/restaurant in town. And selective banning would be a bit tricky. Besides that, there's nothing wrong with one place in the whole stadium that's intended for adults.

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
When we played Villa away in the Cup, we had a great time in the pub before the game.

I can't remember the name of the pub now but I can remember it was ram-jam packed with Albion fans. It literally took me an hour or so to get served. It was hot, sweaty and beery. It was football-y.

I met several friends there and I was with my heavily pregnant partner. And my 7 year old daughter. [MENTION=5200]Ponce Mohammed Buzzer[/MENTION] had one of his lads there too and I tell you what the kids loved it. LOVED IT. They loved the feel of camaraderie that being part of a partisan football crowd in a pub (bar) is all about. We all know that feeling. They loved handing out some of the ridiculous number of balloons NSC had bought for the day. They probably liked their coke, lemonade or whatever. They largely sat quietly playing games on a handheld device. The men, including the Dads, had a couple of beers (note: didn't get drunk) and talked about football. The Dads loved having their kids with them in that partisan throng.

It's a shame that the law is stopping similar at the Amex.

Great post. Not sure if you were in the same place but we went to the Ruskin Hall where we were made very welcome by the locals. Loads of kids and families there having a good time and a great atmosphere. As you say, this is not about getting drunk, it's about the social aspect and experiencing the camaraderie and atmosphere. Good life experience.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Nope. But more do than don't judging by the things I see in every cafe/restaurant in town. And selective banning would be a bit tricky. Besides that, there's nothing wrong with one place in the whole stadium that's intended for adults.

I might start banning people from using NSC. NSC is no longer a place for those who I consider to be stupid. Albion fans need somewhere to discuss matters where there are no stupid people.

Like a bar, no-one has a right to use NSC if the owner so decides.

Fair, isn't it?

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
I might start banning people from using NSC. NSC is no longer a place for those who I consider to be stupid. Albion fans need somewhere to discuss matters where there are no stupid people.

Like a bar, no-one has a right to use NSC if the owner so decides.

Fair, isn't it?

It's your prerogative. Just as it is the club's.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here