Votes: 36 15.3%
  • Don't matter results will still be the same

Votes: 22 9.4%

• Total voters

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Michel, what Kuipers? f*** me, don't you like Championship football then!!

That Vorm is a decent keeper though, I'd settle for him. Alternatively I'd be more than happy to have Steve Harper back permenantly.

Michel Vorm, possibly THE transfer of the season. How the feck did they wangle a 28 year old Dutch International keeper (and part time Michel Kuipers look-a-likey) for £1.4m.

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
I think Casper is being used as a bit of a scapegoat. Yes he had a mare yesterday and conceded a howler, however I don't think he would be getting as much stick if we had got a 1-1 draw, obviously. Take the Saints keeper yesterday, one of the worst keeping performances I have ever had the fortune to see, but smoothed over by the fact that his team are able to score. Casper is always going to be under tremendous pressure in games like these as their is very little chance of us scoring so 1 mistake and we are doomed.
bloody hell, can't argue with any of this :ohmy: :ascarf:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
We must be grateful we didnt have Bartowski (sp?) of Southampton in goal for us. He was a complete clown witha goal from his mistake waiting to happen. Hope Davies is out for some time and they have to rely on him, but they would probably get another keeper in on loan, hopefully after Jan 2nd and The Amex.

AMEXican Wave

AMEX Ruffian
Sep 21, 2010
Really don't rate Casper at all.

Was terrible v Leeds - why oh why did he have to boot the ball up field in injury time, for them to them to just ping it back past him to score? Against Palace a few days later he was wearing concrete boots and rooted to the spot as the ball hit the net. Awful v Ipswich, woeful in dealing with crosses pretty much every match.

That said, I'd decided to give him the benefit of the doubt and a clean slate for his comeback. And then a couple of matches later another complete howler v Middlesbrough.

We urgently need a replacement - hopefully someone is lined up and will be between the sticks on Jan 2 v Southampton. Sorry Casper, you're not up to this level.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
I think Casper is being used as a bit of a scapegoat. Yes he had a mare yesterday and conceded a howler, however I don't think he would be getting as much stick if we had got a 1-1 draw, obviously. Take the Saints keeper yesterday, one of the worst keeping performances I have ever had the fortune to see, but smoothed over by the fact that his team are able to score. Casper is always going to be under tremendous pressure in games like these as their is very little chance of us scoring so 1 mistake and we are doomed.
Well that guy is Southampton's backup not their first choice, and I don't know but I would think their fans are not exactly drinking to his name.

I don't see why it's one thing or the other. Yes, we aren't creating enough chances. But tbh that's a more difficult problem to address than getting a competent keeper and then even if we're not creating enough keeping it tight always gives us a chance.

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
Interesting that e has a blinder last week, but this week he has one howler and guess what, the collective on here thinks he is shit again.

When reading this site, it's a good aide to pick the most positive and ignore them and pick the most negative and ignore all of them and then pick something in he middle......

clueless

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
Casper has let 2 goals in the last 4 games which statistically is a very good record. He made a mistake early on in a game yesterday which gifted a goal. It is hypothetical to say what the result of that was. Without it who is to say that Middlesbro in seeking to win would not have put on the pressure and scored anyway. Alternatively I suppose you could take the view that with Middlesbro pressing we could have scored on the break, but I have a view as to what is most likely.

Gus should buy a new keeper if one a) is available at least to challenge Casper b) wants to come here c) is within our price range given that we seem to be crying out for a dominant attacking midfielder. Good that he is, Bridcutt's best work seems to be done in his own half and we need more further forward.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
How can 16 people vote for option c. He cost us a point yesterday for a start!

When we win, we win as a team. When we lose, we lose as a team. When we were beating Nottingham Forest 1-0, Casper was in goal. When we beat Cardiff, Doncaster, Bristol City etc etc, Casper was in goal. Is he the best keeper in the league? No, deffinitely not. Is he the worst? No, deffinitely not. Are we a newly promoted team from League 1 with a couple of good at the lower level but not quite up to the higher one players to replace in the team? We need a new #1, I think Gus and his people are aware of that fact and have had long and detailed discussions about goalkeepers, but quite frankly, Casper probably isn't the first in the queue to be replaced. Without him, we wouldn't have had such a good time of it last year. Charlton away we romped 4-0, but if it wasn't for a few decisive early Casper moments that wouldn't have been possible. I'm not entirely pro-Ankergren and I do think we need a better goalkeeper to become the top 6 team that Gus wants us to be, but I'm not going to lead the pitch-forked protests.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Can't believe that he's still our goalkeeper. We are obviously seeing this season as part of the learning curve and not as an opportunity to be promoted through the play-offs. With Ankergren, we have next to no chance.

Desperately need a new keeper but nearly all Brighton fans have known that for ages...

I think you will find that you and those who think likewise are actually the minority view.

He is perfectly good enough for us and should see out this season imo however if he is put into a position where morons keep demanding his head due to a personal dislike of a player who has made very few mistakes during his time here or have jumped on the anti-Angergren bandwagon simply because its the in thing to do, i fear we may lose a very good keeper or end up with one whose confidence is shot and therefore less effective than he could and should be.

Lay off the guy, the constant slagging him off does nothing to help Brighton and Hove Albion, and is infact counter productive.

I just don't get the need of a minority of our fans to feel the need to constanly slag off our players and demand they are replaced immediately, even when it isn't possible to do so due to football league rules (transfer windows etc) They obviously don't understand psychology, or that the manager is trying to get the best out of his available players and these sort of ill concieved comments have the opposite effect or just don't understand football.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Really don't rate Casper at all.

Was terrible v Leeds - why oh why did he have to boot the ball up field in injury time, for them to them to just ping it back past him to score?
How often does a keeper boot the ball up the field and the opposition managed to collect the ball and then to go past virtually the rest of the side unchallenged and score? since when is that the Goalkeepers fault. The fact is that goals scored like that are rare in football, and it was just unfortunate that we conceeded in that manner, but not Caspers fault.
Against Palace a few days later he was wearing concrete boots and rooted to the spot as the ball hit the net.
So shots that are just inside the post that no keeper could reach are down to Casper now? you could argue where was the defense in preventing the shots or the midfield for breaking up the attacks or the forwards for not holding up the ball or scoring enough when we dominated for a large part of the game (not that i blame any of them)
Awful v Ipswich,
The Ipswich side played really well and looked like a side in the mood to score 7 or more, they had a hell of a lot of shots in that game and maybe we were fortunate to keep them down to 3, but that was with Caspers help. The one thing i never put the performance or score line down to was Casper being poor.
woeful in dealing with crosses pretty much every match.
Tactics? maybe Gus doesn't want him coming out too far to dominate the area as he feels thats what our central defenders are there for? maybe its safer for Casper to punch it (as a lot of keepers do) but sadly we have some fans who equate punching with being a poor keeper and they have traditionally seen keepers trying to catch the ball (and not always successfully)
That said, I'd decided to give him the benefit of the doubt and a clean slate for his comeback. And then a couple of matches later another complete howler v Middlesbrough.

We urgently need a replacement - hopefully someone is lined up and will be between the sticks on Jan 2 v Southampton. Sorry Casper, you're not up to this level.

All keepers make mistakes, whatever the level. However, we seem to have a few people who are looking to jump onto any little crumb they can find to beat Casper with, maybe because of the Rochdale (?) game where he punched it clear only for it to be returned and sail into the net, and those fans have trust issues and think that will happen every time the ball goes near him again.

I think the problem is with those fans and not our keeper, and the sooner they realise this and leave him to get on with his job and stop making him out to be far worse than he is the better.

My fear is that we will lose a good player due to fans making it impossible for him to stay like they did with Craig Davies who has scored hatfuls of goals since leaving us and even has 8 in 8 this season for Championship Barnsley but was basically forced out by the 'Barn door' brigade and we have missed out as a result

Last edited:

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Can someone please find and post his keeping record since joining us (how many clean sheets, games where we have conceeded 1, 2 3 or more goals and who that was against (inc other factors like if we had 10 men) etc)

I think it will be far better than a lot of fans realise.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here