Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Shameful Tweet from "Comedy" Steve

Stumpy Tim

I received a text on the day England won the Ashes, It was-
What do you call an Australian with the Ashes............ Mrs Irwin.

This is death related and current.

Could you confirm if I am a twat for laughing at it please? I need Twat confirmation.

I find that funny actually, so no you're not a twat (based on that).

I simply find it distasteful that people can joke about the Brisbane floods while people are stranded, we don't know how many are dead & livelihoods are ruined. As I've asked before, which no one seems to want to answer, how would you react if an Ozzie comedian made jokes while the bombs were going off in London. I think you would react as I have.

Anyone remember the reaction to Billy Connoly's joke about wishing those Iraqi's would hurry up & kill Ken Bigley. He was mullered in the press, and rightly so. That was one guy - I'm talking about 20,000 houses so far.

Anyway, I'm off to bed. I simply can't believe people don't get it

Stumpy Tim

Well, that's your opinion, I'm not going to begrudge you that. Would you like to expand on the time duration between an event occurring and when it is OK to joke about it then? I'm not sure I've ever seen guidelines.

And - for the last time - because you don't seem to be getting this - *it's a joke about the weather*. If you can't see this, I'll explain why it is; because the joke would still work even if nobody had died. Ergo, the deaths aren't part of it, nor do they need to have happened for the joke to work.

I'm not sure why I'm being so polite to you; I think it's because in previous NSC posts you've proven yourself to have a modicum of intellect. However, saying 'twat' repeatedly is eroding that. I may come back and be creatively rude back; by the way, I'm pretty good at that.

Yes Steve, but people HAVE died. There's the difference. Do you get it?

(1) No one dead
(2) 12 dead (including a 4 year old boy we're being told)

Scary stuff about your creative words. Really scary

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
Anyone remember the reaction to Billy Connoly's joke about wishing those Iraqi's would hurry up & kill Ken Bigley

The way you've put it makes it sound like it wasn't a very good joke, so lynch him I say. Au fin du jour (pretentious point coming up) life is too tragic for anything to be beyond comedy, and I'd rather people responded with wit than, say, by calling people twats.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Thread Summary

Person A: "hey everyone, this comedian made a joke which i found offensive"

Persons B: "I think thats a good bit of comedy, i'm not offended"

Person A: "You're all twats for not sharing my opinion"

tottenhamseagull

Jul 7, 2008
Thread Summary

Person A: "hey everyone, this comedian made a joke which i found offensive"

Persons B: "I think thats a good bit of comedy, i'm not offended"

Person A: "You're all twats for not sharing my opinion"

Reason being, Steve didn't mention anywhere in the joke ANYTHING about people dying. It was all about the weather. Nothing at all about anybody dying.

EDIT - I wasn't offended by it.

Comedy Steve

We're f'ing brilliant
Oct 20, 2003
BN6
Sorry Tim, but your logic is collapsing around you.

1. So if it's funny, the person telling it is not a twat, regardless of how upsetting it is (joke by tottenthamseagull). Hence your issue with my joke is that you don't find it funny, not the subject matter. Other people found it funny; so clearly it isn't unfunny, regardless of how loudly you shout otherwise.

2. A death is probably involved in just about everything. That doesn't render a joke offensive. If someone swerved to avoid a chicken crossing the road, that doesn't make all "why did the chicken cross the road" jokes offensive. Even if it's (shock horror) *on the day it happened*.

3. You are still of this belief that a delay renders an offensive joke OK. Again, what's the timescale on that?

4. I'm not trying to scare you. I'm just saying, repeatedly calling me a twat is giving me the green light to tell you how pathetically self-centric, short sighted, non-empathetic and narrowly indignant your logically moribund rant is sounding. And your stunted attempts to garner a genuine swell of 'public outrage' here has completely failed; proving that the majority of people get it - and you don't. Not, as you somewhat pompously assume, the other way around. So I might say that, I might not. Haven't decided yet.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I seem to remember plenty of "jokes" on here during the recent floods in Pakistan or was it Bangladesh, a coco pops one springs to mind.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I suppose its really what you view as "fair game".

Tim's point was basically is this the right time to make a joke when people are dying as we speak, especially as this is close to home living in Australia currently.

I have sympathy with his view, which judging by the reaction on here is probably in the minority.

I suppose Steve could counter balance it with a "funny" joke about Chris Copsey.

Comedy Steve

We're f'ing brilliant
Oct 20, 2003
BN6
I suppose its really what you view as "fair game".

Tim's point was basically is this the right time to make a joke when people are dying as we speak, especially as this is close to home living in Australia currently.

I have sympathy with his view, which judging by the reaction on here is probably in the minority.

I suppose Steve could counter balance it with a "funny" joke about Chris Copsey.

Haven't got anything on Chris Corpsey yet.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
It didn't offend me. Bad taste, but that is what edgy humour is based upon.

I mentioned something a while ago about blaming the Aussie press and God. The press were calling for a rain dance to save the ashes. The rain was late and it was concentrated in the wrong area.

One is probably not going to find something amusing if it personally affects you. By law of averages, that will be one joke in many.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
CS - you argued your point well and then let yourself down with the Chris Corpsey comment. Should have gone out when you could.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I also do not buy the " comedy is a way of dealing with death " about jokes. I think the truth is some people enjoy and revel in seeing some people die and mask it with this get out clause.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here