Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Shameful Tweet from "Comedy" Steve

Stumpy Tim

So it's alright in a few weeks but not today, that's ridiculous.

You're only pissed off because you know someone who's been affected by this particular issue. After this pathetic outburst I assume you're now going to come on NSC and be offended about every other joke on the basis that somebody in the world is affected by it. If not then you're a massive hypocrite

I certainly wouldn't be joking about something that kills up to 100 people while it's happening. So I can safely say I'm not a massive hypocrite. I've also said in the past that it's human nature to laugh at natural disasters & the like after the fact. But not while people cling to roof tops in huge storms hoping they'll survive the night.

And to say this is a pathetic outburst is pathetic itself. Getting angry at my friends & their families being in a life-threatening situation, while twats like Steve make jokes about it isn't pathetic in my book. It's perfectly reasonable

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
Even if there were no deaths or collateral damage that "tweet" was not remotely funny. How people can find pricks like that even vaguely amusing is totally beyond me.

Stumpy Tim

Tim - I'm sorry you're offended, but you're being a bit Daily Mail about all this.

It's a joke about the weather. Not about the deaths. After a lifetime of the Australians ripping the piss out of us about how superior their weather is, you might see how these sort of floods (which, by the way, you've had 8 times in the last two centuries - it's not exactly unexpected, is it?) might seem a humbling point.

I've made jokes about 7/7. And 21/7. And 9/11. Of course I have - that's what I do. But they're always *jokes*. They aren't just inflammatory remarks designed to raise a response; they have comedic merit.

I bet you laugh at jokes you don't feel emotionally drawn to - I've just stumbled across a subject you are feeling raw about. It is worth noting that I do warn people about this in my bio : http://twitter.com/stephencgrant - if that sort of thing is going to upset you, don't follow me. It's not like I posted it on NSC for general consumption - which *you* did.

You can put as many quotes as you like around 'comedy' - it's still funny to some.

BTW I'm in Sydney in six weeks! You can come see me - and I'll be doing those jokes on stage, which will give you ample opportunity to voice your displeasure through the traditional channels.

Stephen

But I bet you didn't joke about those things on the day they happened. And in six weeks the shock of what's happening will have subsided, which is human nature. And yes, I might even laugh at some of those jokes. But making those kind of jokes while it's happening is completely distasteful. I can't believe people can't see that.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
After this pathetic outburst I assume you're now going to come on NSC and be offended about every other joke on the basis that somebody in the world is affected by it. If not then you're a massive hypocrite

This is the key for me. I REFUSE to believe it would be seen as being as offensive if this joke was about Qatar or some other part of the world that less people on here were connected to.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
It not clever or funny but I need to check an old thread and see what people said about Frankie Boyle in defence of his " humour ". Many people thought " jokes " about Cancer, disabled kids and Downs Syndrome was the height of humour and the jokes were personal with named individuals. I am sure some people on here who defended Boyle are getting the hump about this. Strange.

Comedy Steve

We're f'ing brilliant
Oct 20, 2003
BN6
But I bet you didn't joke about those things on the day they happened. And in six weeks the shock of what's happening will have subsided, which is human nature. And yes, I might even laugh at some of those jokes. But making those kind of jokes while it's happening is completely distasteful. I can't believe people can't see that.

Yes, I would, and I have. You can't apply double standards to me because there aren't any; if I think of a good joke - and it's a good joke - it gets told. I don't mean any harm, but I also accept that it might be felt. It's just the risk I take. I personally find most jokes that offend nobody a bit lame. If you've been following me for a while on Twitter, you must have realised that. Just before the Oz joke (which, can I repeat, WAS ABOUT THE WEATHER), I did a joke about the Bristol murder. That is an ongoing investigation, and the culprit has not yet been caught. Care to complain about that? Or do you not live in Bristol?

Look Tim, the only issue here is that you are emotionally connected to my gag. This jokes thing... it's what I do. If you follow me on twitter, you run the risk of stumbling across a joke that upsets you. You have. If calling me a twat makes you feel good about yourself, great - but all it does it highlight how much you are arguing emotively and not with any perspective.

Stumpy Tim

It not clever or funny but I need to check an old thread and see what people said about Frankie Boyle in defence of his " humour ". Many people thought " jokes " about Cancer, disabled kids and Downs Syndrome was the height of humour and the jokes were personal with named individuals. I am sure some people on here who defended Boyle are getting the hump about this. Strange.

I don't know who he is to be honest

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
A local comedian Tim who does the phone in sometimes. He's a decent bloke to be honest. I respect you getting the hump if it was so personal to you. Nothing wrong with that but he also has a right to make the " joke " and I think it was aimed more at the Weather.

Stumpy Tim

Yes, I would, and I have. You can't apply double standards to me because there aren't any; if I think of a good joke - and it's a good joke - it gets told. I don't mean any harm, but I also accept that it might be felt. It's just the risk I take. I personally find most jokes that offend nobody a bit lame. If you've been following me for a while on Twitter, you must have realised that. Just before the Oz joke (which, can I repeat, WAS ABOUT THE WEATHER), I did a joke about the Bristol murder. That is an ongoing investigation, and the culprit has not yet been caught. Care to complain about that? Or do you not live in Bristol?

Look Tim, the only issue here is that you are emotionally connected to my gag. This jokes thing... it's what I do. If you follow me on twitter, you run the risk of stumbling across a joke that upsets you. You have. If calling me a twat makes you feel good about yourself, great - but all it does it highlight how much you are arguing emotively and not with any perspective.

I didn't see your joke about the Bristol murder to be honest so I can't comment. As you say, I am emotionally connected so yes, calling you a twat does make me feel better as it seems appropriate. If you made jokes about 7/7 and 9/11 on those days then this simply confirms you are a twat in my opinion

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I did a joke about the Bristol murder. That is an ongoing investigation, and the culprit has not yet been caught. Care to complain about that? Or do you not live in Bristol?

Did you?

I live near Bristol. On the night in question, Mrs Bozza parked in the road that Joanne lived in at 8pm as she headed to a work Christmas do. It could have been her.

You bastard Steve.

D'Angelo Saxon

SW19ULLS
Jul 30, 2004
SW19
So its okay to joke about disasters as long as they're not made on the same day? Its human nature to make humour out of tragedy isn't it? Its a coping mechanism. I've got friends out in Brisbane at the moment who I'm concerned for, yet I found it pretty amusing.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
I can't believe people can't see that.

That's because people are all different. No amount of logic or reasoning will make another person *feel* the same as you.

tottenhamseagull

Jul 7, 2008
I didn't see your joke about the Bristol murder to be honest so I can't comment. As you say, I am emotionally connected so yes, calling you a twat does make me feel better as it seems appropriate. If you made jokes about 7/7 and 9/11 on those days then this simply confirms you are a twat in my opinion

I received a text on the day England won the Ashes, It was-
What do you call an Australian with the Ashes............ Mrs Irwin.

This is death related and current.

Could you confirm if I am a twat for laughing at it please? I need Twat confirmation.

Comedy Steve

We're f'ing brilliant
Oct 20, 2003
BN6

Well, that's your opinion, I'm not going to begrudge you that. Would you like to expand on the time duration between an event occurring and when it is OK to joke about it then? I'm not sure I've ever seen guidelines.

And - for the last time - because you don't seem to be getting this - *it's a joke about the weather*. If you can't see this, I'll explain why it is; because the joke would still work even if nobody had died. Ergo, the deaths aren't part of it, nor do they need to have happened for the joke to work.

I'm not sure why I'm being so polite to you; I think it's because in previous NSC posts you've proven yourself to have a modicum of intellect. However, saying 'twat' repeatedly is eroding that. I may come back and be creatively rude back; by the way, I'm pretty good at that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here