Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Shameful Tweet from "Comedy" Steve

Difficult one innit. It's easy to laugh at close-to-the-bone humour until it affects you. I used to snigger at gags about cancer until my best friend died from it.

It's also very easy to become precious about it. Personally I just ignore jokes that are a bit close to home because I know, generally, people aren't deliberately setting out to cause offence.

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
What a bunch of f***ing cocks there are on NSC. Unbelievable

Hardly. IF he made a joke about the deaths then maybe you'd have a point and it comes down to your views on humour. As its a joke just about the weather its nowhere NEAR as bad.

But that will come from those who havn't had direct consequence from these floods. For you you're obviously going to find it hard to hear a joke. Which is fair game. I don't blame you. But I bet you laughed at jokes that are of the same brand but a different subject...

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
Difficuly one innit. It's easy to laugh at close-to-the-bone humour until it affects you. I used to snigger at gags about cancer until my best friend died from it.

It's also very easy to become precious about it. Personally I just ignore jokes that are a bit close to home because I know, generally, people aren't deliberately setting out to cause offence.

This. Unless the joke is tailored to say your individual situation with your friend (which would be bang out) then ignoring it is the way to go.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Who the hell is "Comedy" Steve?

Nathan

Jan 8, 2010
It always a difficult one this. As if it was said by a comedian who had a reputation for being controversial or offensive, say a Frankie Boyle, then to be honest you would expect it and no doubt accept it - not saying it is right. But comedy Steve doesn't normally do those types of jokes (well not that much), so it seems worse coming from him.

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
Difficult one innit. It's easy to laugh at close-to-the-bone humour until it affects you. I used to snigger at gags about cancer until my best friend died from it.

Christ, what amazing points. The voice of reason.

Stumpy Tim

Hardly. IF he made a joke about the deaths then maybe you'd have a point and it comes down to your views on humour. As its a joke just about the weather its nowhere NEAR as bad.

But that will come from those who havn't had direct consequence from these floods. For you you're obviously going to find it hard to hear a joke. Which is fair game. I don't blame you. But I bet you laughed at jokes that are of the same brand but a different subject...

So again, if he made jokes about bombs in England while bombs were going off in the tubes, you would find that ok? And yes I have friends directly affected, but in a few weeks I would probably be making jokes. But not on the same f***ing day. That's what's really really riled me

Sep 1, 2010
The boundaries of comedy have always been pushed and though i am not going to tell someone whether something is funny/acceptable at any one time, this always has and will always be the case. Look at history and you will always read about certain uproar about one artist or another.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Are you serious? So if an Ozzie started taking the piss on the same day (in fact, as it was happening) as terrorists blew up the Underground you would say that was fair enough. Because he's a "comedian"... Just to be clear, it's being said that DOUBLE the amount of people who died on 7/7 will die in these floods. Families have been wiped out.

I think this point is very important.

It's probably easier to laugh at this because it's 'only the weather' but there are entire communities being destroyed and I struggle to find the 'joke' funny at all but that's just me, can see why others might. It's certainly to early to joke about it in anyon'es book and I'm surprised someone like Comedy Steve has decided to tweet this, it's a joke designed to shock. I thought he may be above that.

Comedy Steve

We're f'ing brilliant
Oct 20, 2003
BN6
Tim - I'm sorry you're offended, but you're being a bit Daily Mail about all this.

It's a joke about the weather. Not about the deaths. After a lifetime of the Australians ripping the piss out of us about how superior their weather is, you might see how these sort of floods (which, by the way, you've had 8 times in the last two centuries - it's not exactly unexpected, is it?) might seem a humbling point.

I've made jokes about 7/7. And 21/7. And 9/11. Of course I have - that's what I do. But they're always *jokes*. They aren't just inflammatory remarks designed to raise a response; they have comedic merit.

I bet you laugh at jokes you don't feel emotionally drawn to - I've just stumbled across a subject you are feeling raw about. It is worth noting that I do warn people about this in my bio : http://twitter.com/stephencgrant - if that sort of thing is going to upset you, don't follow me. It's not like I posted it on NSC for general consumption - which *you* did.

You can put as many quotes as you like around 'comedy' - it's still funny to some.

BTW I'm in Sydney in six weeks! You can come see me - and I'll be doing those jokes on stage, which will give you ample opportunity to voice your displeasure through the traditional channels.

Stephen

Dominoid

Albion fan in Devon
Jan 6, 2011
Plymouth, United Kingdom
Are you serious? So if an Ozzie started taking the piss on the same day (in fact, as it was happening) as terrorists blew up the Underground you would say that was fair enough. Because he's a "comedian"... Just to be clear, it's being said that DOUBLE the amount of people who died on 7/7 will die in these floods. Families have been wiped out.

I made jokes about it myself on the day of the bombings! Think of it this way, let's take the most basic "bloke walks into a bar, ouch it was an iron bar" joke. Do people make that joke because they really want people to walk into bars and hurt themselves? No, they do it because it's funny but if they saw someone about to walk into something they'd try and stop them. It's a joke, and a joke does not indicate how one feels about something. It's a terrible thing that's happened, but perhaps if we can find some small humour in a terrible terrible situation then it won't seem so bad. This is a natural coping mechanism. Don't automatically assume that just because someone has found comedy in a terrible situation that they don't care.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
So again, if he made jokes about bombs in England while bombs were going off in the tubes, you would find that ok? And yes I have friends directly affected, but in a few weeks I would probably be making jokes. But not on the same f***ing day. That's what's really really riled me

So it's alright in a few weeks but not today, that's ridiculous.

You're only pissed off because you know someone who's been affected by this particular issue. After this pathetic outburst I assume you're now going to come on NSC and be offended about every other joke on the basis that somebody in the world is affected by it. If not then you're a massive hypocrite

Sep 1, 2010
It's age old i am afraid and people are too easily stirred in my opinion, Charlie Chaplin's Thousand Year Reich was extremely contraversial at the time. As pointed out, people that have an emotional pull to certain subjects will always feel a little more upset but comedy will never change, Ricky Gervais has been using the word 'Spastics' in his act for a long time but some people are not going to like it.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
"Edgy" comedy is always difficult. If a Sydney-based comedian like Bob Downe had said "you would think we would be able to arrange our weather (over twelve months) like the poms" he would probably get a readier laugh. Coming from an outsider is harder to take. Much like wartime humour or jewish comedy it's best appreciated when told by one of your own

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here