Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Security at Wembley last night .... Non existent

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
Happened a bit in the quarters. Nothing done. No coverage.
All the gits who jibbed in tell their friends and come back for the semi in greater numbers. Still not much done about it.

Oh I wonder what happened next

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Good point, has anyone explained why it was an 8pm kick off and not 5pm?

I’m assuming TV rights somewhere, as I can’t see any other good reason to have a late kick off!

Two reasons

1: It’s quite common to have late Sunday KO’s in Europe, they don’t have as many people there unable to drink sensibly.

2: By kicking off at 8pm it increases the value of the rights in both East and West coast in the USA.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
'Inevitably the situation boiled over'

By Phil McNulty, BBC Sport chief football reporter

The unsavoury scenes at Wembley before and during England's Euro 2020 final defeat to Italy were the result of an uneasy, threatening undercurrent of tension that had been building up throughout the day.

Several hours before kick-off, thousands of fans, many fuelled by alcohol, were packed into areas around the stadium in an increasingly frenzied atmosphere that always threatened to get out of hand.

Security was ineffective and it is rare at a major final for supporters to be able to get so close to the stadium without tickets. I was offered money for my accreditation lanyard just yards from the media entrance - unthinkable at any such showpiece event I have previously attended.

Inevitably, the situation boiled over into the frightening sight of barriers being stormed by scores of ticketless fans desperate to get inside Wembley, with children left terrified, others knocked to the ground, aisles full and the area reserved for disabled spectators swamped with supporters looking for anywhere to sit.

Fans who had legitimately paid to watch England's first major final for 55 years were left struggling to watch the game.

Stewards, perhaps understandably, were overwhelmed by the numbers they were having to deal with. It certainly did not appear to be a "small group" as originally stated.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
If I was a supporter who had been affected by this and unable to take my seat I would be filing a small claims court ticket today for a refund.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
It was a joke to leave security to a mix of unpaid 'stewards' (those on the ticket check / covid check) gates - and then basically £8.91 per hour stewards (those on the gates) for it all. None of them were equipped or particularly bothered to deal with any confrontation

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Fair enough. Didn't see it myself but don't doubt it. I paid 2500 for my ticket but moved to a different (empty) seat when the game kicked off. Think that's allowed :)

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

You paid 2500 for a ticket to a football match!? :eek:

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Met a load of pissed up lads on the train up yesterday. They were in fine voice and good humoured at 13:00, but one was already pretty legless. None had tickets - they were just going for the crack. Hate to think what they were like come 22:30.

How many would have been put off and stayed locally if you needed a ticket to get into certain areas to watch the match?

It seems there was no planning for this.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
How many would have been put off and stayed locally if you needed a ticket to get into certain areas to watch the match?

It seems there was no planning for this.

I guess the problem is how do you police it. You'd need the cordon quite far back but risk bottle necks at the tube station - as well as still allowing access to anyone else to the tube station I guess. Or close it for those getting on perhaps. I do think the recent developments along Wembley Way have further limited the options for security cordons etc. And I know why they have done it, but the addition of Box Park further adds attraction to 'casual fans' without' tickets to rock up

A good example is the stadium in Moscow. Using this picture https://www.istockphoto.com/photo/luzhniki-stadium-in-moscow-gm836531240-136171571

They had the first checkpoint in a ring around the trees, with a fan park, and then a second the other side of the trees close to the stadium. Huge amount more space than what is at Wembley

Last edited:

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
It was a joke to leave security to a mix of unpaid 'stewards' (those on the ticket check / covid check) gates - and then basically £8.91 per hour stewards (those on the gates) for it all. None of them were equipped or particularly bothered to deal with any confrontation

They should have handed the contract to the Russian Football Supporters Club. They would have been 'interested'.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I guess the problem is how do you police it. You'd need the cordon quite far back but risk bottle necks at the tube station - as well as still allowing access to anyone else to the tube station I guess. Or close it for those getting on perhaps. I do think the recent developments along Wembley Way have further limited the options for security cordons etc. And I know why they have done it, but the addition of Box Park further adds attraction to 'casual fans' without' tickets to rock up

A good example is the stadium in Moscow. Using this picture https://www.istockphoto.com/photo/luzhniki-stadium-in-moscow-gm836531240-136171571

They had the first checkpoint in a ring around the trees, with a fan park, and then a second the other side of the trees close to the stadium. Huge amount more space than what is at Wembley

It is a tough one, I dont think it is easy to do and I dont think it would stop everyone going up - I think the non footballing public would know to steer clear of hotspots, and its pretty easy to prove you live in the area if need to jump off.

I just think something could have been done - we have had years to put something in place just in case.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
From the bar up a few floors at Wembley i saw lots of singletons breaking through the ticket check area, always chased down by security and marched peacefully back and then released again…..doesn't take much of an imagination to know that if there are no consequences, even being held for 30 mins, then they’ll try again. Only saw one mass attempt but it failed. Wembley way was a cesspit on the way out

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
Were there any police?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
If I was a supporter who had been affected by this and unable to take my seat I would be filing a small claims court ticket today for a refund.

Many years ago we were playing Chesterfield away. I have scoliosis and get back pain if I have to stand too long. So I booked a first class seat on the train out of London (well in advance - good price). The train was packed and a Brighton supporter had taken my seat. He just laughed at me when I pointed it out that he was in my seat. Nasty agressive sort, 20 years my junior and with the train rammed I had to suck it up. I just thought he was a piece of shit, and hoped and expected him to die a sad and painful death. Never mind.

Football sadly attracts too much scum for my liking. You have to hold your nose to go to football, sometimes, especially when 'national pride' or some sort of grudge game is on. Palace away. Etc., sadly.

The tories should be ensuring that people like me, with money, can bypass the urine stink of the unwashed, surely? The tories can't even do a proper job of being tories these days. Sad. But it is football after all, and that doesn't count, does it. More fool me :shrug:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here