Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Security at Wembley last night .... Non existent

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
A complete and utter shambles yesterday.

From the 18 year olds in Hi-Viz all the way up to the Head of the Police and the Mayor of London there have to be some serious questions asked about what happened in and around Wembley yesterday.

We got to Wembley Park Tube station really early - well before 5pm - knowing it would be busy (and my son likes to get in the ground as soon as possible to put his flag up) and Wembley Way was full of pissed groups of lads, clearly ticketless with cases of beer just lobbing stuff about. I knew then there would be trouble as it was getting well out of hand even over three hours before Kick Off.

Of course, whilst theses idiots were entirely the people to blame the police are there to police - not stand aside and watch this going on.

There were zero ID Checks, and even at the COVID Checks were a joke too.

I haven't got time now to list everything else that went on but whoever took the decision to police this in a softly-softly approach needs their arse kicking.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
England vs Italy - Uefa Final update:

Sounds pretty bad at Wembley this evening, with security being breached and ticketless fans getting through doors and tail-gating ticket holders through the turnstyles or simply shoving in front of people when they had scanned their ticket. Loads of people arriving at their legimate seats to find ticketless fans had already taken their place. Outside sounds like a complete nightmare as well. A real shame for people holding genuine tickets.

Altough the game itself was pretty forgettable, taking my young son to Wembley for the first time for the cup semi final vs Man City was a really memorable experience that fellow Brighton supporters around us enhanced by making sure my lad had a great day out, making sure he could see ok and giving him their flags at the end of the match. I'm so glad I wasn't at Wembley with him tonight. It sounds like a nightmare.

I'm sure there will be big fall-out from this tonight.
Hmmm I dunno.

Man city game was great and all but that atmosphere was like a morgue and we got played off the park.

The atmosphere yesterday was incredible (although not quite as good as the semi)

Yes there were lots of p1ssed up chavs outside but I didn't see anything that malicious just rowdy young boys.

Inside the ground I didn't see anyone nicking someone else's seat just great banter and mostly great banter between the England and Italy fans

Press and social media are destroying this country more than the actual people.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Hmmm I dunno.

Man city game was great and all but that atmosphere was like a morgue and we got played off the park.

The atmosphere yesterday was incredible (although not quite as good as the semi)

Yes there were lots of p1ssed up chavs outside but I didn't see anything that malicious just rowdy young boys.

Inside the ground I didn't see anyone nicking someone else's seat just great banter and mostly great banter between the England and Italy fans

Agree

Considering the magnitude of the game and the fact most people been heavily boozing for hours nothing that bad has happened . Most had an amazing time and created a brilliant atmosphere .

Of course the media will focus on the minority and sensationalise the negatives , which in turn will get the wet wipes out raged etc

Reality is , non story on the whole

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Hmmm I dunno.

Yes - agree on the atmosphere before kick off and once the game got going. That was my major disappointment that day, as I never expected us to win - even though I'd always hoped we just might. Even a goal to cheer would have been something.

Last edited:

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Hmmm I dunno.

I'm inclined to believe you seeing as the only incidents I've seen on social media are the footage of an external barrier being breached (but soon reestablished) and a few dozen lads breaking through, and also that footage where a similar number managed to force their way through the disabled entrance into the stadium itself (more Palace fans broke in at the Amex that time) and with a few receiving a deserved kicking from fans that were there legitimately. Everything gets filmed and uploaded these days, so with an estimated 100K in total who made their way to Wembley yesterday, it seems like trouble was isolated.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
A complete and utter shambles yesterday.

From the 18 year olds in Hi-Viz all the way up to the Head of the Police and the Mayor of London there have to be some serious questions asked about what happened in and around Wembley yesterday.

We got to Wembley Park Tube station really early - well before 5pm - knowing it would be busy (and my son likes to get in the ground as soon as possible to put his flag up) and Wembley Way was full of pissed groups of lads, clearly ticketless with cases of beer just lobbing stuff about. I knew then there would be trouble as it was getting well out of hand even over three hours before Kick Off.

Of course, whilst theses idiots were entirely the people to blame the police are there to police - not stand aside and watch this going on.

There were zero ID Checks, and even at the COVID Checks were a joke too.

I haven't got time now to list everything else that went on but whoever took the decision to police this in a softly-softly approach needs their arse kicking.

Maybe if they saw two girls drinking coffee on the bench without a mask they would have done something.

What is wrong with out police atm?

No common sense and avoiding stuff like you mentioned - I am not saying its an easy job.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Maybe if they saw two girls drinking coffee on the bench without a mask they would have done something.

No common sense and avoiding stuff like you mentioned - I am not saying its an easy job.
Definitely agree with the police hiding ....

It was the same in Miami earlier this year with a lot more damage being caused there !!! And the police nowhere to be seen.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I went to the World Cup in Russia, been to tournaments in Ukraine, South Africa, France..... all of them have pretty heavy duty 'security' at gates, backed up by police, and in Russia backed up by military. What we ended up with stewards who were half volunteers, half students on minimum wage with no backup. We have no chance of hosting a tournament for a long time in my opinion, which to be honest with all the dickheads is probably for the best.

We all know the police are under equipped. I understood all police leave nationally was cancelled this weekend, but given how many fan parks / events / potential for trouble in all major towns / cities the Met only had what they had. Given how many were on Wembley way (well over 100,000) any attempt to 'police' that would have turned even uglier. They needed better security and a bigger cordon. Again at most major stadiums in tournaments the cordons start quite a long way back. Wembley only cordon was basically at the bottom of the steps.

Worst thing is this had been coming. There were a few issues at Scotland, got worse with Germany & Denmark but seemingly no-one learnt anything from it

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex

Not enough police, too much crime or too much fake news?

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Older fans here come on you’ve seen it proper kick offs in the 80’s - 90’s and maybe 70’s for some. That was drunken behaviour and handbags yesterday.

When did this country get so over reactionary, reading Twitter yesterday people thought the Match would get abandoned because people had drinks in Leicester Square and a few others had a go at getting into Wembley without tickets :facepalm:

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I went to the World Cup in Russia, been to tournaments in Ukraine, South Africa, France..... all of them have pretty heavy duty 'security' at gates, backed up by police, and in Russia backed up by military. What we ended up with stewards who were half volunteers, half students on minimum wage with no backup. We have no chance of hosting a tournament for a long time in my opinion, which to be honest with all the dickheads is probably for the best

The single only thing that the World Cup has to offer next year on the positive side is (assuming we qualify) there should only be proper England fans in attendance not the twats that let us all down and don't care if they do

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Older fans here come on you’ve seen it proper kick offs in the 80’s - 90’s and maybe 70’s for some. That was drunken behaviour and handbags yesterday.

When did this country get so over reactionary, reading Twitter yesterday people thought the Match would get abandoned because people had drinks in Leicester Square and a few others had a go at getting into Wembley without tickets :facepalm:

It wasn't a few others, it was hundreds if not thousands. If what I saw at our gate was anything to go by - multiply that by 10-20 gates... it was a lot of people

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

So it’s fine as long as it’s not as bad as the 70/80s ?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
The single only thing that the World Cup has to offer next year on the positive side is (assuming we qualify) there should only be proper England fans in attendance not the twats that let us all down and don't care if they do

It's always the same... game in Amsterdam or Spain = problem. Tournament in France or Germany = problem. Stick a game somewhere difficult or expensive to get to and the dickheads won't bother because they can't be arsed / don't want to spend the money

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
The reality is that there is an element of this country who use football as an excuse for a dust up. Smashing things, getting into fights, etc. Those are the people who undermine any bid we make to host a tournament because that's the stereotype of the English football fan. The problem isn't really in the people who attend the matches, those are actual fans. But it's the people storming the stadium and generally kicking off under the guise of football that ruin our country's reputation. You can guarantee that the mindless scum abusing players on social media are the same people who consider themselves the most passionate fans because they had 12 pints before kick off and went down the bookies to put all their money on England winning the tournament.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea

Mobile phones with the holders wetting themselves to catch a policeman doing his job so they can upload the recording to social media

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Did I say it was fine? Although as a fifty something male who’s gone to football since a kid on the grand scheme of things I do think there is a lot of over the top comments being made.

Not sure I agree, think the problems we faced from the 70s was it was ignored for too long and took root in the game to such an extent we put fences up etc etc etc. If you learn from mistakes of the past, I would say you need to address it pretty quickly, learn from it and how to prevent it happening again.

At 13 I went to my first England game at Wembley in 1988 for the Rous Cup v Scotland. I didn’t go again for years, maybe a decade or more the experience was that bad. I hope you and others are right and very few kids will feel like I did in ‘88 and be put off watching England for a very long time.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here