Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Seagulls Party

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
bigc said:
how can anyone be against lewes to uckfield railway?

It would be a good move to re-open the line!

Won't happen though, The cost will allways outdo the benefits.

bigc said:
surely you don't oppose a little bit of rail expansion?
Not at all. When I was employed by East Sussex County Council as a transport planner, I spent a good proportion of my working time on the campaign to re-open the Lewes - Uckfield line.

It will only happen if the government (not the council) can be persuaded to fund it.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Woodchip said:
We wait for them to object the new version of the decision.

but there wouldn't be one.

You cant say...we agree to all the points now and then when the letter comes out saying go ahead, go back and object!!!

If they say ok fine tomorrow, then its full steam ahead isnt it Ed?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Dies Irae said:
but there wouldn't be one.

You cant say...we agree to all the points now and then when the letter comes out saying go ahead, go back and object!!!

If they say ok fine tomorrow, then its full steam ahead isnt it Ed?

That's exactly what I thought but I would guess that they won't agree as they probably think their other 15 points are valid - poor deluded, corrupt fools.

*** Am I allowed to call them corrupt - oh well too late ***

Last edited:

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Hardly a secret, I knew about this weeks ago. :blush:

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
Lord Bracknell said:
Not at all. When I was employed by East Sussex County Council as a transport planner, I spent a good proportion of my working time on the campaign to re-open the Lewes - Uckfield line.

It will only happen if the government (not the council) can be persuaded to fund it.

Give it a few fancy names and call it "urban transport fresh start inititave" and they'd probably approve it.

how is the campaign going at the moment?

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
seagullion said:
:clap: :clap:

newhaven massive:bowdown:

Well, I do live in Newhaven, as for the "massive" part, I can only presume you've been talking to my ex...:D

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
Good luck to the Seagull Party, there is no reason why you should not ruffle a few political feathers (no pun intended). Even if the party obtains a small percentage of the vote the publicity it creates will only benfit the campaign for a new stadium. The Lib/Dems WILL be quaking in their boots at the thought of losing an unknown number of votes and the Stadium issue highlighted by the democratic polictical process. Although one issue may not change the polictical landscape ( may not but realy hope it does) it will highlight the strong feeling that may run through the electorate and just might "bloody a few political noses":bowdown:

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
BensGrandad said:
Had you wished and made yourself known to me I would have spoken. I asume that you were the 'gentleman' sitting next to me with highly coiffured beard.

I may not agree with everything that the club and its back slappers do but on this particular issue I am prepared to give my full support. I thought that PS came across as very sincere very determined and honest full marks to the man.

Incidentally out of curiosity where does 'The Large One' come from as if I have the right man you are not that large.
While Paul Samrah was speaking, I stood behind you, next to the impressivley-bronzed Paul Camillin, in a purple shirt and black suit, with an IMMACULATELY coiffured beard.

My largeness is largely hidden in the size of my shirt and suit, courtesy of Gresham Blake. Wait till you come across me in my pink lycra jumpsuit. Now that's something to behold.

I have my reservations about The Seagulls Party (as I said earlier), but, like you, I am prepared to give it my full support. However, as a born-and-bred Brightonian, I cannot and will not stand for a seat in the Lewes DC area as this fundamentally goes against the principle of local politics. However, whenever a candidate stands, I would unequivacolly say, VOTE SEAGULL!

Last edited:

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Huge respect to those who have got this up and running (or flying)

A lot of hard work and late nights are in store, althogh I guess for Paul and Tim this is nothing new - when we get our Stadium these guys and many others deserve our utmost thanks.

IMO this can only be a good move - the LibDems will see their vote threatened, what of course is needed now is good quality Local candidates to start putting their point of view across now. May is only 11 months away and will soon come round.

Look forward to finding our how we can start to make donations - putting leaflets throgh doors needs money - as well as a good number of volunteers.

Good Luck to all those involved.

:clap2: :bowdown:

From the BBC website:-

Club's fans form political party

A new political party has been set up by fans of Brighton and Hove Albion FC to try to finally reach a resolution over the club's planned new stadium.

_41729504_samrah_seagulls_203.jpg

Paul Samrah has taken on the leadership of the Seagulls Party

The Seagulls Party is registered with the Electoral Commission and intends to field candidates at local elections.

The party said on its website it was "born out of frustration and anger over the political process that has thwarted the delivery of a community stadium".

Stadium approval granted last October was quashed due to a planning error.

Deputy Prime Minister John Prescott gave the go-ahead for a new stadium at Falmer, to the north of Brighton, but there was a mistake concerning the description of the site in his approval letter.

'Serious aims'

A High Court challenge against Mr Prescott's decision had already been launched by Lewes District Council, but Paul Samrah, leader of the Seagulls Party, said the council had shown "complete disregard for the view of thousands of local residents".

He said the Falmer For All campaign had gathered 5,000 signatures in the space of a week from people in the Lewes district who were in favour of a new stadium.

_40846604_falmer_203.jpg

Planning consent was quashed five months after Mr Prescott's decision

Speaking about his new party, Mr Samrah added: "Make no mistake, we are very serious in our aims.

"We feel we've exhausted every possible campaigning route and this is the only option left to us, which is at the ballot box."

A consent order for the plans to go back to the new Department for Communities and Local Government has to be agreed by the football club, Brighton and Hove City Council and Lewes District Council.

Lewes council's cabinet is meeting to discuss whether to sign the consent order or continue with its High Court action.

... and there's a link on this page to the video of the BBC TV News coverage on:-
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/southern_counties/5050424.stm

Last edited:

Meridian coverage is at http://www.itvlocal.tv/

Click on News and Weather and then go to:-

Meridian Tonight - South Monday Monday Evening 05/06/06
or Meridian Tonight - South East Monday Monday Evening 05/06/06

Use the Fast Forward button - the story is a fair way into the programme.

Last edited:

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
The only time I've given money to a political cause was when Ken Livingstone was trying to get elected as London mayor the firrst time round (when he was an independent).

And to be honest it was only about twenty quid. While I'm not Lewesian in anyway and therefore can't stand, I'd happily give some dosh to this particular cause.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
From Today's Argus -

Albion fans form political party

BRIGHTON and Hove Albion fans will field candidates at next year's local elections in the hope of snatching up to 15,000 votes on Lewes District Council.

The Seagulls Party was launched yesterday with a Press conference at Pelham House, Lewes, after its registration with the Electoral Commission.

Falmer For All Campaign chairman Paul Samrah will lead The Seagulls Party and declared Lewes District Council his prime target.

The council was meeting today to decide whether to go ahead with its High Court challenge to planning permission for the Falmer stadium.

Mr Samrah said: "With the new round of council elections less than a year away, we believe the time is right for the launch of this new political party.

"Recent developments - including selective photo editing in council publications - have brought Lewes District Council into question.

"In particular, the continued obduracy of the council and its complete disregard for the view of thousands of local residents has led us to take this action."

He said the party had been born out of "frustration and anger" at the political process that has delayed the stadium.

It is seven years since The Argus-backed Falmer stadium scheme won support in a Brighton and Hove referendum and four years since the planning application was passed by Brighton and Hove City Council.

Lewes District Council has spent more than £250,000 opposing the stadium.

Mr Samrah said: "At no point has the council ever asked its residents for their views - certainly not by way of a referendum.

"However, when Lewes District Council announced its challenge to the planning permission, stadium campaigners took less than seven days to amass over 5,000 signatures from Lewes district residents."

Asked about the party's chances of winning votes, Mr Samrah said: "We have strong support right across the Lewes district, from Newick to Newhaven and from Seaford to Saltdean.

"Make no mistake, we are very serious in our aims. Anyone looking for a precedent need look no further than The Valley Party, which 15 years ago attracted over 14,000 votes in favour of Charlton Athletic's stadium when it fought local elections in south-east London."

He called on the council to drop its court challenge and accept the decision of new Secretary of State Ruth Kelly, whichever way it goes.

Mr Samrah added: "A second challenge would only add weight to the view that the district council is trying to delay the decision in the hope that Brighton and Hove Albion goes bust in the meantime."

Long-time stadium campaigner Adrian Newnham will be the party's deputy leader while Albion supporters' club chairman Tim Carder will be secretary and nominating officer.

Mr Samrah said candidates would all be Lewes residents and able to serve as councillors if elected.

A Lewes District Council spokeswoman said: "Areas of Outstanding Natural Beauty have the highest levels of landscape protection and Mr Prescott has set aside these policies.

"We are not anti-football and we do believe the football club should have a stadium but not at Falmer."

The party's website is www.seagullsparty.org

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
Well I'll be voting Seagulls Party!

And so's my wife :thumbsup:

Mother, Father, Sister, Brother in Law...

Last edited:

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
bhaexpress said:
A Lewes District Council spokeswoman said: "Areas of Outstanding Natural Beauty have the highest levels of landscape protection and Mr Prescott has set aside these policies.

"We are not anti-football and we do believe the football club should have a stadium but not at Falmer."
When are they going to get their two-faced heads around the fact there is nowhere else? Or is the current role of councillor in the district only open to the criminally insane?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here