Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Seagulls Party

D

Deleted member 2719

It really is time to start turning up the heat on those nimbys and i am ready to do what ever we have to, to get our much deserved stadium built.

:falmer: :falmer: :falmer:

An excellent turn out at the Press Conference that launched the Party this afternoon.

Listen out for news on Southern Counties Radio and Local TV.

Read all about it in tomorrow's Argus and this week's Sussex Express.

Thanks to all the volunteers from NSC who responded to my mysterious invitation to come along and get involved in the launch.

The reason for the lack of advance publicity and the somewhat secretive way in which this has happened is to hit Lewes DC with a nice surprise, the day before their Cabinet Committee meets (in a closed, private session) to decide what to do about the Government Lawyer's response to the conditions that LDC have laid down for pulling their Appeal from the High Court.

There'll be more on that story tomorrow - assuming LDC deign to tell people what they have decided.

NEWS FROM THE SEAGULLS PARTY

PRESS NOTICE - Monday 5 June 2006

New Political Party Formed

A new political party, The Seagulls Party, was officially launched at a Press Conference on Monday 5 June. The new party is registered with The Electoral Commission and intends to field candidates at future elections. Other objectives include political campaigning in support of the proposed Community Stadium at Falmer.

Leader of The Seagulls Party, Paul Samrah said,

“With the new round of Council elections less than a year away, we believe the time is right for the launch of this new political party. Recent developments - including selective photo editing in Council publications - have brought Lewes District Council’s integrity into question. In particular, the continued obduracy of the Council and their complete disregard for the view of thousands of local residents has led us to take this action.

“We have strong support right across the Lewes District, from Newick to Newhaven and from Seaford to Saltdean – evidenced last December by over 5,000 Lewes District residents signing a petition in less than a week.

“Make no mistake, we are very serious in our aims. Anyone looking for a precedent need look no further than The Valley Party which 15 years ago attracted over 14,000 votes in favour of a local stadium, when it fought local elections in south east London.”

Read more here:-

http://www.seagullsparty.org/index.html

Last edited:

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
noits not my money, thankfully, I was more concerned with the club wasting theirs especially as they appear to be in a similar financial position to me, ie skint.

I honestyl fail to see it will make any difference in the grand scheme of things. it just looks like the club lowering itself to NIMBY levels which can't look good

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
this is so bizarre.

i had just thought about this idea towards the end of last week myself, inspired by reading about the valley party.

the master of pressure group politics, wyn grant, said how it was one of the most effective pressure group campaigns ever so fingers crossed for our efforts.

sullyupthewing

Jul 5, 2003
brighton and worthing
zefarelly said:
noits not my money, thankfully, I was more concerned with the club wasting theirs especially as they appear to be in a similar financial position to me, ie skint.

I honestyl fail to see it will make any difference in the grand scheme of things. it just looks like the club lowering itself to NIMBY levels which can't look good

I doubt very much if it is the clubs money, and it will make a difference one hell of a difference.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Hmmm. Where does it intend to field candidates? I hope not in Brighton, my Labour MPs and Councillors are all pro-Falmer and I would vote for them ahead of single-issue party such as the new S.P.

So perhaps in Lewes? But we know that the majority of the people there don't really give a stuff either way (although they do object to their council wasting money), so fielding candidates there may result in humiliation - unless they align themselves with the anti-incinerator campaigners.

It's a bit of an odd idea IMO, what will it really achieve?

zefarelly said:

Just before anyone gets carried away with the notion that the Football Club are putting any funds at all into this, can it be made clear that they are NOT.

crasher

Jul 8, 2003
Sussex
zefarelly said:

It will make a difference because the one and only thing that clarifies the minds of political parties is the prospect of losing votes. Nothing else matters to them.

The Valley Party proved this.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
crasher said:
It will make a difference because the one and only thing that clarifies the minds of political parties is the prospect of losing votes. Nothing else matters to them.

The Valley Party proved this.

Added to this is the publicity value

sullyupthewing

Jul 5, 2003
brighton and worthing
"If you think something small can't make a difference,try going to sleep with a mosquito in the room"

Have a bit more faith some of you please.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Just got back from the launch of the Seagulls Party. Decent turnout from the press. Meridian arrived late and missed most of it. But BBC were there, as were the Argus and (I think) the local Lewes paper.

Paul Samrah came across as very confident and clear - he sold me! Adrian Newnham batted away some 'blow-wave' TV questions from the BBC woman. Paul did the same in the one-to-one on-camera piece. Don't know how they'll edit and present it tonight, but the BBC woman did appear a bit hostile. Guess we'll have to see how it turns out.

The main point is that the Lib Dems in Lewes District Council have been behaving like demented power-crazed cowards living in ivory towers, while insulting their electorate for these past three years, and The Seagulls Party is an opportunity for people who believe in education opportunities, adult learning opportunities, fitness programmes and health improvement to have someone else to vote for. Don't forget, the Albion opened a Study Support Centre in Lewes, and the local authority flatly refused to acknowledge it, even when pressed.

I was sceptical about the party myself, but having attended the press launch, I can see why one was formed.

An opportunity will present itself soon to make donations to the party, but - re-iterating Lord Bracknell - this is NOT funded by the Albion, nor was it set up be the Albion. It is, however, ultimately forming a political mandate which will benefit of the Albion, as well as the wider community in Sussex.

Poo-poo it if you want, Joe, but let your reasons be based on the concerns of people other than yourself, and for the right reasons.

BTW, I saw (though wasn't introduced to) Ben's Grandad there. Jeez, and I thought I was ugly... :eek: :lolol:

Last edited:

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
The Large One said:
the BBC woman did appear a bit hostile.
Was it the same blatantly anti-Falmer woman who's tried to stir things up in the past? Her name escapes me.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Don't know. Skinny, short dark-haired 'I love me' type reporter.

She did ask the silliest of questions, admittedly that Paul could easily bat away, but every question was loaded as though it was 'this is a gimmick, what a stupid idea' etc...

Last edited:

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
The Large One said:
Just got back from the launch of the Seagulls Party. Decent turnout from the press. Meridian arrived late and missed most of it. But BBC were there, as were the Argus and (I think) the local Lewes paper.

Paul Samrah came across as very confident and clear - he sold me! Adrian Newnham batted away some 'blow-wave' TV questions from the BBC woman. Paul did the same in the one-to-one on-camera piece. Don't know how they'll edit and present it tonight, but the BBC woman did appear a bit hostile. Guess we'll have to see how it turns out.

The main point is that the Lib Dems in Lewes District Council have been behaving like demented power-crazed cowards living in ivory towers, while insulting their electorate for these past three years, and The Seagulls Party is an opportunity for people who believe in education opportunities, adult learning opportunities, fitness programmes and health improvement to have someone else to vote for. Don't forget, the Albion opened a Study Support Centre in Lewes, and the local authority flatly refused to acknowledge it, even when pressed.

I was sceptical about the party myself, but having attended the press launch, I can see why one was formed.

An opportunity will present itself soon to make donations to the party, but - re-iterating Lord Bracknell - this is NOT funded by the Albion, nor was it set up be the Albion. It is, however, ultimately forming a political mandate which will benefit of the Albion, as well as the wider community in Sussex.

Poo-poo it if you want, Joe, but let your reasons be based on the concerns of people other than yourself, and for the right reasons.

I accept all that and it's fair comment, but the question remains - will people in Lewes REALLY vote for the Seagulls party as the antidote to the Lib-Dems? The issues you've raised are all fine and dandy, but will they appeal to the LDC voters? IMO they're a bit peripheral, what's the S.P.'s position on the incinerator for example? Or the construction of a proper A27?

The bottom line is there is already a party that cares about those issues you've raised and wants Falmer - Vote Labour!

Last edited:

essbee

Jan 5, 2005
zefarelly,

what do you propose we do then to show LDC that we are
not prepared to be messed around and toyed with as they are
doing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here