Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Seagulls Party

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country
Brovian said:
I accept all that and it's fair comment, but the question remains - will people in Lewes REALLY vote for the Seagulls party as the antidote to the Lib-Dems? The issues you've raised are all fine and dandy, but will they appeal to the LDC voters? IMO they're a bit peripheral, what's the S.P.'s position on the incinerator for example? Or the construction of a proper A27?

The bottom line is there is already a party that cares about those issues you've raised and wants Falmer - Vote Labour!

The point is that the Seagulls party will create a lot of noise, publicity and controversy that might actually make people think about the issue rather more than a few flaccid leaflets shoved through their door by the Labour Party will. Most people will look at a Labour leaflet think:-

(1) Iraq
(2) Shagger Prescott
(3) take your pick

and use it to line the budgie cage; irrespective of any fine words on Falmer.

The fact is that if you have a single issue (remember the hospital in Kidderminster??) then at the very least the establishment of something like the Seagulls Party will cause the ruling group to shit in their pants and think about how they might respond. Trying to promote the Labour Party as the 'Seagulls Party' just won't work becasue it gets lost in all the other stuff I've a, b and c'd above.

The Charlton party (called the Valley party) never won a seat. But the heat generated and the way in which it forced other political parties to respond had the desired response in the end. Read the account of the campaign in Simon Inglis's "Football Grounds of Britain" (pages 109-110) if you aren't convinced. They got 10.9% of the vote and split the votes in at least one ward to ensure that Greenwich Council's chair of its planning committee wasn't re-elected. The ruling group in Greenwich at the time whose indolence/opposition caused the Valley Party to be formed.....Labour!!

If its a choice between supporting Labour or supporting the Albion in 2007 I know which way I'd be voting if I was in Lewes! And, by the way, before anyone makes any cheap political points I am not a Tory or Lib Dem supporter!

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Positive step forward in the campaign for Falmer!

Good luck Seagulls Party!

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Dandyman

In London village.
Brovian said:
I accept all that and it's fair comment, but the question remains - will people in Lewes REALLY vote for the Seagulls party as the antidote to the Lib-Dems? The issues you've raised are all fine and dandy, but will they appeal to the LDC voters? IMO they're a bit peripheral, what's the S.P.'s position on the incinerator for example? Or the construction of a proper A27?

Tactically these could be important questions. Where do the SP stand on the Incinerator, A27, Lewes to Uckfield railway, etc ?

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
how can anyone be against lewes to uckfield railway?

i want to be able to get to the anchor inn by public transport;)

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
BensGrandad said:
Had you wished and made yourself known to me I would have spoken. I asume that you were the 'gentleman' sitting next to me with highly coiffured beard.

Incidentally out of curiosity where does 'The Large One' come from as if I have the right man you are not that large.

Brilliant!!!

I have been saying he is a highly coiffured fat bastard for years

:lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

Muhammed - I’m hard - Bruce Lee

You can't change fighters
NSC Patron
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
AlexFrutos said:
I live in the area controlled by LDC (in Newhaven to be exact) and I'll be voting for the Seagulls Party.

I could not, in good conscience, vote for anyone else when there is a party on the ballot paper with the sole aiming of working to obtain the one thing that the club I love needs more than anything else in the world.

It's that simple in my eyes.
:clap: :clap:

newhaven massive:bowdown:

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
Woodchip said:
You can. Brighton and Hove run a bus every hour.

what number?

I prefer trains anyway.It wasn't a real argument...just the first thing that came into my head.

Yoda said:
Question.

Is this going to be just in Lewes or every local council covered by LDC?
I guess you bounced this, because you want an answer.

I also guess we'll have to wait and see what unfolds over the next few months.

The town of Lewes elects seven district councillors, in three wards. At the moment, five of these are Lib Dems and two are independents (although one of these is an ex-Lib Dem who fell out with her party).

The rest of the District Council is made up of representatives from eighteen other wards.

A lot of wards elect more than one member - so there would be nothing to stop the Seagulls Party putting just one candidate up in a ward and allowing people to vote (say) Labour, Independent AND Seagulls (if they wanted to). This would give people the opportunity to vote FOR the stadium, AGAINST the people who have made the undemocratic decisions of the last few years, AND FOR the mainstream political party of their choice.

All good for democracy, in my opinion.

Last edited:

Dandyman said:
Tactically these could be important questions. Where do the SP stand on the Incinerator, A27, Lewes to Uckfield railway, etc ?
All important issues. NONE OF THEM ARE THE RESPONSIBILITY OF LEWES DISTRICT COUNCIL.

Rather like Falmer Stadium, in fact.

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
Lord Bracknell said:
And how exactly will the Lewes - Uckfield railway help you do that?

Like I said..it was a rather off the cuff response.

surely you don't oppose a little bit of rail expansion?

I know Uckfield is a bit dodgy but still;)

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
What happens if they agree tomorrow to drop the action?

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
Lord Bracknell said:
I guess you bounced this, because you want an answer.

I also guess we'll have to wait and see what unfolds over the next few months.

The town of Lewes elects seven district councillors, in three wards. At the moment, five of these are Lib Dems and two are independents (although one of these is an ex-Lib Dem who fell out with her party).

The rest of the District Council is made up of representatives from eighteen other wards.

A lot of wards elect more than one member - so there would be nothing to stop the Seagulls Party putting just one candidate up in a ward and allowing people to vote (say) Labour, Independent AND Seagulls (if they wanted to). This would give people the opportunity to vote FOR the stadium, AGAINST the people who have made the undemocratic decisions of the last few years, AND FOR the mainstream political party of their choice.

All good for democracy, in my opinion.
I'm confusled! How many votes do we get? Maybe with Seaford being so "unique" we only get one vote per ward. Never remeber voting for more than one ward councillor.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here