Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Seagulls Party

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Screaming J said:
Don't agree. The point is to stop what Lewes DC are doing in buggering up the stadium and the club. Therefore we should concentrate our fire where it will have most effect; within the confines of Lewes DC. Its not Wealden or Brighton who are opposing the stadium - or have the power/means to do so now. Lets focus our efforts on the bastards in Lewes.

But it might just focus the minds of the 'bastards in Lewes' if they were also responsible for pressure on their friends and colleagues in other parts of the county too ?

Perhaps in other areas it could simply be a case of saying 'if you are normally a LD and dislike what's happening in Falmer, then vote Seagull' - it would be a good platform for wider publicity, if nothing else. And would be targeted specifically at the LDs.

The downsides would be the cost of fielding candidates, and availability of people to stand.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
I have to confess to not yet having read all this thread - but just want to say a couple of things:

Firstly - Congratulations to all involved in the Seagulls Party - given the stance of LDC, I think it's our only real option to co-ordinate future action.

Also, it does (I think) give us a vehicle for organising a significant protest march at the Lib Dems annual conference in September.

On that score, has the Seagulls Party organised it's own Annual Conference yet? Could I suggest that sometime around 16th - 21st September would make sense? And, of course, it should be held in Brighton.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Sorry - just had a look at the Constitution of the party, and it seems an annual conference is planned for Feb. Perhaps we could also have an Autumn Confference, in the same way as the major parties tend to have secondary Spring Conferences.

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
Titanic said:
The downsides would be the cost of fielding candidates, and availability of people to stand.

It doesn't cost anything to stand as a candidate in a local election (you don't have to pay a deposit, as you do in Parliamentary elections). You just need a certain number of nominations which, quite frankly, can be pretty easily corralled in any pub on one evening.

Lady Bracknell

Handbag at Dawn
Jul 5, 2003
The Metropolis
Can I just say a huge thanks to everyone who has sent emails offering support and wanting to join the party. Forza Seagulls Party!!

I'll be back in touch with you soon to send out a membership form which will give all the relevant info.

PS. We welcome membership from any interested peeps, not just from those of us condemned to live in the shadows cast by the current members of Lewes District Council!

Last edited:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Where do you sign up?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Have we thought of Bumper Stickers, somethink like that.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Whatever the negative comments about this, the one overiding thing we need to make sure happens is that candidates get elected.

So all Brighton fans and pro Stadium people in the Lewes area need to get behind this, they have to get out and vote, and get out and campaign. I'll do some campaigning, plenty of us outside of Lewes will.

Get those scum out of office, get Samrah into office, and we will be in a better position to influence the decisions that affect the Stadium.

:falmerspi :falmerspi

Last edited:

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
IMO this is an excellent idea and I personally look forward to how we can all set up Standing Orders to get some funds into the Party's accounts. Winning seats (and getting votes) is all about awareness.

Making people aware might cost a bit of money.

At the moment in Lewes some people seem to side with the Council as they think that they (LDC) are protecting an AONB. Not enough people know the exact location of the site concerned. The voters need to know the Stadium will not be built on the Falmer duck pond.

The voters need to know the TRUTH - where the site is, the facts about behind closed doors meetings, how much has been spent by LDC so far - and how much could potentially be spent by them fighting on behalf of a TINY percentage of their electorate.

One issue Pary's CAN, if well run and organised, be hugely successful - Bell in 97 - and there was another at the last Election who ran a Pro Hospital Campaign and got himself elected somewhere I seem to recall.

Voter apathy at Local Elections is big (does that make sense) so 'getting the vote out' will be important.

The Party will need Money, lots of Volunteers and TIME - Those of you who live in the LDC area know what is expected of you. Get Involved, help out, put leaflets through doors etc.

I look forward to the news regarding a March in September at these idiots Annual Conference - no excuses we ALL have to be there - with family friends etc..

In the meantime Good Luck to Paul, Tim, Roz etc.

Skintagain 1983

And Smith Did Score!
Top drawer once again troops. :bowdown: :clap2:

Had been discussing this possibility with mates of mine (Falkirk fans who had suggested this just before the local elections earlier this year.. But there weren't any in Lewes.

I back the move 100% and having been a bit of a "political animal" for much of the last 20 years, I may have something to contribute to the debate on tactics and planning etc. Only if invited to do so.. I'd be interested to know how tactics and the way forward will be debated. But have great confidence in Lord and Lady B et al.

To those who are still a bit luke-warm on the idea .... Surely it's not purely about electoral politics, more about a focus for the campaigning and a legitimate voice for Lewes District residents to take a stand against the waste of their council tax etc.

My family still live in LDC area, Lewes and Seaford mainly so it would be rude not to get involved on their behalf. Do you want all the exiles to take up membership, even just for the funds?

'Mon the Seagulls..

:clap2: :clap2: :blush: :angel:

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country
Skintagain 1983 said:

My family still live in LDC area, Lewes and Seaford mainly so it would be rude not to get involved on their behalf. Do you want all the exiles to take up membership, even just for the funds?

'Mon the Seagulls..

:clap2: :clap2: :blush: :angel:

Judging by the e-mail I've had from roz this morning; yes they do!

Lush

Mods' Pet
It just never ends does it...

And yet again - the fans - people like Paul Samrah, Tim Carder, Adrian Newnham, Ed, Roz et al are putting hours and hours and hours of unpaid effort into helping making sure that we are a club with a future.

For some reason it makes me even more angry about the team display on the last game of the season and McGhee's post-match comments.

Still. Onwards and upwards. Great efforts from all involved.

:clap2:

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
Lush said:
It just never ends does it...

And yet again - the fans - people like Paul Samrah, Tim Carder, Adrian Newnham, Ed, Roz et al are putting hours and hours and hours of unpaid effort into helping making sure that we are a club with a future.

For some reason it makes me even more angry about the team display on the last game of the season and McGhee's post-match comments.

Still. Onwards and upwards. Great efforts from all involved.

:clap2:

Top Post:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
We never had a local election in May in my area, so we must be having one later in the year. If you don't need to cough up thousands of pounds to be a candidate, I don't see why this has to be restricted to Sussex. I could be a candidate in my local borough couldn't I?

We take the fight to as many non-Sussex local councils as possible as the next page in the chapter of protests. Bound to generate publicity and if you get the backing of the local club (lets face it, they've all written to the government on our behalf before, even sent flowers) you might get a few sympathetic football fans, Lib_Demo haters etc voting for you. We'll prbably get bugger all votes in say, Bath, but that's not the point - you've generated the publicity. All it takes is a few hundred diehards (with a bit of a gob, but make it fun) and we're half way there?

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
portlock seagull said:
We never had a local election in May in my area, so we must be having one later in the year.

Nope. Not every council elects every year. You'll almost certainly have one next May.

I don't see much point in standing in a seat in, say, Bath (even if it's against Bellotti) unless all the candidates are actively anti-stadium.

You'd be better off coming to Lewes to help with efforts there.

Last edited:

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
Must you be a resident to stand in a local election?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here