Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Russell Slade is new Albion manager (until the end of the season)

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
My only problem with our Russell is the fact that at 48 years old, his CV reads: Scarborough, Grimsby Town, Yeovil Town. I just put the albion on a higher level than that, so I'd like to think we could have attracted someone a bit more high-profile and a bit more proven.

That was my intial reaction, but he has been a League One Manager of the Year so is well proven at our current level. Plus it's a short contract!

Mick Beard BHA

Hirsute
Feb 23, 2004
Back in Brighton
I'm pretty disappointed with this appointment. I think he could keep us up this season, (he may just have the kind of attitude and drive that puts the passion back into our team) but after that i don't see him taking us any further. He did have that run with Yeovil to the play off final, but my impression of Slade up to now is that that might be as far as he'll ever get. Hope i'm wrong of course. The thing is that as a club we're so geared to the future and Falmer, and our managerial appointments have usually reflected this. I just don't see Slade as 'the future'- ie. Falmer and the Championship.

Having said that, after Gannon and Ince, its debatable whether there were any better candidates on offer.

Anyway, no matter what our opinions are we should all get behind Slade 100% from the off. Anyone who wants to do differently is a twat.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Anyway, no matter what our opinions are we should all get behind Slade 100% from the off. Anyone who wants to do differently is a twat.

Fooking well said :clap2::clap2::clap2:
Russell_Slade_Yeovil_Town_boss_632343.jpg

Russell Slade's BLUE AND WHITE ARMY

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
I'm pretty disappointed with this appointment. I think he could keep us up this season, (he may just have the kind of attitude and drive that puts the passion back into our team) but after that i don't see him taking us any further. .

So is a contract to the end of the season not ideal?

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
My only problem with our Russell is the fact that at 48 years old, his CV reads: Scarborough, Grimsby Town, Yeovil Town. I just put the albion on a higher level than that, so I'd like to think we could have attracted someone a bit more high-profile and a bit more proven.

Fair play. I just wonder what proven manager would want a blot of relegation to League Two in their CV.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
I think it's a decent appointment, he's done a very good job at Yeovil, and he's generally done it playing good football. That Yeovil team that made the play-off Final after beating Forest in teh semi played some exhilarating stuff.

Not sure about the 3 month deal to the end of the season though. Surely if he keeps us up we want to keep him, and even if we go down, we can't sbe saying that would be HIS fault. It just says "look we know we can do better than you, but we're boxed into a corner here and need someone."

C'mon Russ, you the man, I can feel it in my water.

Southwick_Seagull

Oct 8, 2008
Anyone else starting to feel slighty postive?? New man in, loan signings bulking up the squad, an away game with a good following tomorrow, It can't just be me can it? And even if your not get behind the team and Slade ffs, regardless your opinion of him he's the one who's been put in charge of keeping us in this division so give him some support. :albion2: :albion2:

Mick Beard BHA

Hirsute
Feb 23, 2004
Back in Brighton
So is a contract to the end of the season not ideal?

Yep i suppose it is.

I guess i was assuming that he will be here anyway come next season, ie. if he keeps us up then he will have 'earned' an extension, whereas if we go down then the chances are we won't be able to attract anyone better. The main way i could see him being ditched is if he makes a complete hash of it and we lose every game or summat.

But as other people have said there might be a mutual agreement going on here, that he knows we want someone better, and we know he's putting himself in the shop window.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
I guess it depends what way you look at it. In two months, a new manager of us has a chance of adding something positive to his CV but also something negative. I think most managers would back themselves to get us out of this mess - it's not like we're THAT far adrift - and that then looks really good on them. So our job is essentially a short challenge with a big reward CV wise. Obviously I don't know who does and doesn't want that challenge, but there must have been a few ex-championship managers who would have taken that on in with a similar deal to what Slade has got.

Anyway, as I said, big Russell is the last throw of the dice for us so I'm certainly not going to slag him off. Anyone doing that when, let's be honest, none of us REALLY know if he's any good or not is a tool. I have my doubts about him long-term I admit, but I wouldn't rule him out of keeping us up.

No where near the last through of the dice, many a Tony Adams out there..

Someone on here has put forward Martin Hinshelwood.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2003/jun/16/theknowledge.sport

This guy has been league one manager of the year, a bit of that talent would not go a miss right now.

Joe Gatting's Dad

Feb 10, 2007
Way out west
Most new employers put new recruits on a trial basis for 3 to 6 months. As we are paying off a number of managers, the last thing we need is an ex-manager with two and a half years on his contract bleeding the club in leage two. If he succeeds, which I think he will, then you offer him two or three years and a pay rise.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Sorry, when I said "last throw of the dice" I didn't mean Slade was our last choice. He's clearly far, far from that, and as you say there are hundreds of idiots out there worse than him. I simply meant that he's our last chance of staying in this league, the last thing the club can change/do to try and keep us up.

I agree its seat belts on, lets see if we can defy relegation gravity momment in the clubs history again. I have that bizarre pre season optimism now we have a new manager, the sort that shows bets in my account this sesaon for BHA to be promoted and Murry and Forster to be top scorers.

Lets hope I am not being slammed back to earth by 5pm tomorrow. New manager, new players, its like the Bank Of Englands last push to save the economy, hope it has some imediate effect.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Anyway, as I said, big Russell is the last throw of the dice for us so I'm certainly not going to slag him off. Anyone doing that when, let's be honest, none of us REALLY know if he's any good or not is a tool.

He just doesn't sound, look, or feel like an albion manager to me. He certainly won't have the skills on the training ground or the ability to sign players required for a promotion push from this division so long term he's not the man.

:shootself

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
He has to be better than Adams surely? I just hope he has enough time to get us playing as a team, we are better than the shit Adams left us in so i'm hoping it's not too late. If we do go down it won't be Slade's fault, if we stay up it will almost certainly be due to him as we were in freefall when Adams left.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here