Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Russell Slade is new Albion manager (until the end of the season)

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
Not a big name so you dismiss it.Great logic.

I have not dismissed it, I said it was uninspiring. I think an ex-big name player would have more of an instant impact, as Ince had at Macclesfield and then MK Dons. It woud also get more people into the ground and give the club more profile, which if we're moving into Falmer is no bad thing.

There is logic to my post, you just don't happen to agree with it.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
I have not dismissed it, I said it was uninspiring. I think an ex-big name player would have more of an instant impact, as Ince had at Macclesfield and then MK Dons. It woud also get more people into the ground and give the club more profile, which if we're moving into Falmer is no bad thing.

There is logic to my post, you just don't happen to agree with it.

Micky Adams is a big name in football and did bugger all for us second time around..Ince started at the bottom and worked his way up just like Cotterill and now Slade.Noone heard of Boothroyd when he burst onto the sceen.Big name footballers don't always make great managers.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Micky Adams is a big name in football and did bugger all for us second time around..Ince started at the bottom and worked his way up just like Cotterill and now Slade.Noone heard of Boothroyd when he burst onto the sceen.Big name footballers don't always make great managers.

Is the correct answer :thumbsup:

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
he only has a contract until end of the season

If that is true, that does not show much confidence in Slade. It pretty much says you are the best available now but if someone better comes along in the summer we will go for. I would have given him until the end of next season and gone for a bit of stability.

If we stay up he deserves a longer contract and if we go down are we going to get anyone better.

London Pompous

Feb 16, 2008

R. Slicker

Jan 1, 2009
Who wa sthe last big high profile manager we had!? (they have to be high profile when they joined the club)

Apart from in house appointments. I would say more or less every appointment from Liam Brady onwards. Considering our size we have attracted some unbelievable names.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Who wa sthe last big high profile manager we had!? (they have to be high profile when they joined the club)

I suppose you could argue that Taylor, Coppell and McGhee were all high profile in their own way.

However, I disagree with the argument it would be better to have a high profile ex player now. What we need is experience and Slade has experience of over achieving on a minimal budget. It would be good to see what he can do if we can give him some cash to spend in the transfer window.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
I suppose you could argue that Taylor, Coppell and McGhee were all high profile in their own way.

However, I disagree with the argument it would be better to have a high profile ex player now. What we need is experience and Slade has experience of over achieving on a minimal budget. It would be good to see what he can do if we can give him some cash to spend in the transfer window.

Well said.

Smythe

Oct 8, 2008
Brightonian in Manchester
To be honest I find it all pretty uninspiring. I suppose he might be alright, but I'm sure when people ask me who the manager is and I tell them, their reply will be 'who?'

I personally would've liked a young Ince type manager given the chance, but I've no idea if any ex-players even applied for the job.

I found Adams pretty uninspiring too......lets get behind him and the team and give the fella a chance!!!!

London Pompous

Feb 16, 2008
Just confirmed by text!

mr sheen

Jan 17, 2008
not really the inspirational appointment to bring the fans flooding back is he

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
not really the inspirational appointment to bring the fans flooding back is he

Surprising that, you would have thought that Wenger, Mourinho and Ferguson would have been desperate to take over the club third from bottom of the third division.

mr sheen

Jan 17, 2008
Surprising that, you would have thought that Wenger, Mourinho and Ferguson would have been desperate to take over the club third from bottom of the third division.

you're right, there's hardly any out of work football managers, desperate for any role within the game.............

Still, need to get behind him now.

Last edited:

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
Wouldn't have been my 1st choice but then I didn't know much about Gannon before all this kicked off.

If it's a contract untill the end of season then at least we have someone at the helm who has a bit of experience at this level as we have a chance to assess if he has a long term future with us. I'm 100% behind the bloke

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here