Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Rip broken britain

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
In a dead end job?

well, get experience, get used to working and find a better one whilst your still in work. Or, if you have a dead end job, do some learning in the evenings and get a better job - it's all there if you're willing to put the effort in.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
well, get experience, get used to working and find a better one whilst your still in work. Or, if you have a dead end job, do some learning in the evenings and get a better job - it's all there if you're willing to put the effort in.

true enough - but good luck explaining that to someone who has never had any experience of anyone working. Doing that learning also doesn't guarantee you getting that better job.

suremike

Aug 6, 2011
Knee jerk reactions which are predictable. Yes there are problems in society but the country is not broken. Reports were that there were groups of about 100/200 youths causing trouble at various points. Let's be generous and round that up to 1000 at each area. How many flashpoints were there, 10 maybe 15 in total. 15,000. That's 15,000 out of a population of 65,000,000 ie 0.023% of the population. Take an Albion crowd of 22,500 and apply the same percentage. That's about 5 people behaving like complete tools. Would that make you consider the whole of brighton' s support are tools?

Courts need to deal with the rioters and looters harshly and next time the Police need to arrest them when they are looting but for f*** sake, don't judge the rest of society on an extremely small minority bunch of selfish greedy pricks.

At last. Someone with a sense of perspective.

suremike

Aug 6, 2011
And minimum wage only gets you a few more quid than the dole gives you, let alone few prospects or job security. I mean lets be honest there really isn't much of an incentive is there?

A job, any job, is better than no job. Apart from giving a sense of self worth how else are you going to get on the job ladder? Every job gives some experience in something and it will get you a reference when applying for a better job. We all need a reason to get up in the morning!

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
A job, any job, is better than no job. Apart from giving a sense of self worth how else are you going to get on the job ladder? Every job gives some experience in something and it will get you a reference when applying for a better job. We all need a reason to get up in the morning!

You know that and i know that but ut can be hard to understand when you have little experience of working culture.

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
And minimum wage only gets you a few more quid than the dole gives you, let alone few prospects or job security. I mean lets be honest there really isn't much of an incentive is there?

This. Have you ever worked 70 hours a fortnight, doing 12/13 hours door to door, feeling proud you've got a job and then bang, you get barely £330? That or... living for free?

Unless that ethic to grind shit out like the 68 hour fortnights for next to nothing, then you won't do it. And its not our fault parents didn't parent us is it? (Using us as a generic term for the rioters, i didn't riot though)

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
This. Have you ever worked 70 hours a fortnight, doing 12/13 hours door to door, feeling proud you've got a job and then bang, you get barely £330? That or... living for free?

Unless that ethic to grind shit out like the 68 hour fortnights for next to nothing, then you won't do it. And its not our fault parents didn't parent us is it? (Using us as a generic term for the rioters, i didn't riot though)

+1 rep

If anything these riots have signalled a whole hosts of things that we really need to take a look at and some will take quite drastic action. We can't afford to just paper over the cracks.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003

Parent your bloody self! Honestly the youth of today, they want everything done for them. When I were a lad I used to smack my own arse with a nail laden kipper, bloody hurt it did too taught me a thing or two, but I never went over the top.

fataddick

Feb 6, 2004
The seaside.
The simplest solution, as far as I can see, is only couples where both parties have been in full time employment for three years, should be allowed to conceive and birth a child. Any children conceived outside of these parameters should be forcibly aborted. Any that are birthed outside these parameters should be destroyed or sent overseas for adoption. On the birth of a child, its parents should pay £2,500 each to cover a small part of the additional costs on the country's infrastructure the child will create. Not only would this eradicate feral youth within a generation, the birth fee would also cover much of the annual interest on the UK's national debt. It's a genius idea and it's copyright me.

suremike

Aug 6, 2011
Have you read "1984" or did you think up this brilliant idea all by yourself. (1984 is a book by the way)

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
The simplest solution, as far as I can see, is only couples where both parties have been in full time employment for three years, should be allowed to conceive and birth a child. Any children conceived outside of these parameters should be forcibly aborted. Any that are birthed outside these parameters should be destroyed or sent overseas for adoption. On the birth of a child, its parents should pay £2,500 each to cover a small part of the additional costs on the country's infrastructure the child will create. Not only would this eradicate feral youth within a generation, the birth fee would also cover much of the annual interest on the UK's national debt. It's a genius idea and it's copyright me.

Sensible policies for a better Britain.

My alternative is some sort of mass sterilizing of the population. Then giving fertility drugs to counter the sterilizing to those who complete and pass an intensive 6 month parenting course and can prove that they have a financial muscle to care for a child long term.

Surport Local Team

Jan 5, 2011
So, let me get this right. We take away their home and their means of support....so they will roam and streets and probably have to steal to survive. Mmmmmmm. Can you spot the problem here?

no problem, they have to look for private housing, which does not have the security or low cost per week of social. whats wrong with this, there r many people/ good people on the list for social housing, so kick and the bad and give it to the more deserving i.e the ones that don't destroy there own community!!!

Surport Local Team

Jan 5, 2011
sensible policies for a better britain.

My alternative is some sort of mass sterilizing of the population. Then giving fertility drugs to counter the sterilizing to those who complete and pass an intensive 6 month parenting course and can prove that they have a financial muscle to care for a child long term.

this!!!!!

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

I have been assured by a very knowing American of my acquaintance in London, that a young healthy child well nursed is at a year old a most delicious, nourishing, and wholesome food, whether stewed, roasted, baked, or boiled; and I make no doubt that it will equally serve in a fricassee or a ragout.

Jonathan Swift - A Modest Proposal

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
One possible component of our "broken" society is the role of prison in dealing with offenders. I heard a piece on the news yesterday suggesting that up to 80% of people imprisoned for a crime go on to reoffend and that this was the worst rate in the EU. I do not know the source of the numbers or if this is true. However, if it is, then empirical evidence should be available detailing with nationalities have the lowest rate of reoffending.

The problem with central government is that it only tends to view things in terms of five year periods. As a consequence, long-term planning is difficult. This could be said for almost every area of policy. However, in terms of this debate what I would like to see is all the main political parties sitting down together and chewing over the data from countires that are far more successful in rehabilitating their prison population. Ideally, a plan of attack incorporating the implementation of best practice from other countries would be drawn up. This would be a process that would almost certainly take longer than a single term of parliament to enact. As such, any agreement should be signed up to by all parties and ring-fenced for an agreed period.

And how likely is that? Not at all. It will neverhappen. So I've pretty much been wasting my time by even typing this. Sigh!

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
One possible component of our "broken" society is the role of prison in dealing with offenders. I heard a piece on the news yesterday suggesting that up to 80% of people imprisoned for a crime go on to reoffend and that this was the worst rate in the EU. I do not know the source of the numbers or if this is true. However, if it is, then empirical evidence should be available detailing with nationalities have the lowest rate of reoffending.

The problem with central government is that it only tends to view things in terms of five year periods. As a consequence, long-term planning is difficult. This could be said for almost every area of policy. However, in terms of this debate what I would like to see is all the main political parties sitting down together and chewing over the data from countires that are far more successful in rehabilitating their prison population. Ideally, a plan of attack incorporating the implementation of best practice from other countries would be drawn up. This would be a process that would almost certainly take longer than a single term of parliament to enact. As such, any agreement should be signed up to by all parties and ring-fenced for an agreed period.

And how likely is that? Not at all. It will neverhappen. So I've pretty much been wasting my time by even typing this. Sigh!

This is surely the way parliament should work. Instead they bicker and argue like children. love your ideologically thinking though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here