• Other

Votes: 4 2.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
I like Right Here, Right Now too. It has real power and energy. And the Cook connection fully justifies its place in the pre-match build-up.

But Sussex by the Sea is more than 'just a piece of music', or 'a quaint tune'. Why? Because it represents a celebration of our unique history, as Albion fans, and as people from Sussex. It connects us all to its origins, as a march that was played - and sung lustily - as all those young soldiers of the Royal Sussex Regiment, fresh from their billet at the Goldstone Ground, headed off for the Somme trenches. Far too many never made it back. And there was no memorial fund for them.

So, hearing Sussex by the Sea being played loudly and proudly at Falmer by a proper band - and if you're up for it, yes, singing along with the real words - is your chance to connect with that history, and our unique Sussex identity. Being able to do that in the 21st century is not an anachronism. It's simply a privilege.

It's hard to see how any genuine supporter of the Albion would want to throw all that away.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
I like Right Here, Right Now too. It has real power and energy. And the Cook connection fully justifies its place in the pre-match build-up.

But Sussex by the Sea is more than 'just a piece of music', or 'a quaint tune'. Why? Because it represents a celebration of our unique history, as Albion fans, and as people from Sussex. It connects us all to its origins, as a march that was played - and sung lustily - as all those young soldiers of the Royal Sussex Regiment, fresh from their billet at the Goldstone Ground, headed off for the Somme trenches. Far too many never made it back. And there was no memorial fund for them.

So, hearing Sussex by the Sea being played loudly and proudly at Falmer by a proper band - and if you're up for it, yes, singing along with the real words - is your chance to connect with that history, and our unique Sussex identity. Being able to do that in the 21st century is not an anachronism. It's simply a privilege.

It's hard to see how any genuine supporter of the Albion would want to throw all that away.

Spot on.

But the question all true Brighton fans need answered is this, "What is Mike Ward's take on all this"?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
But the question all true Brighton fans need answered is this, "What is Mike Ward's take on all this"?
He wants the team to come out to "Come on Eileen" by Dexy's Midnight Runners. And anyone who disagrees with him is almost certainly only doing so because he used to support Arsenal.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
very much in the "it must stay camp".

there is of course a place for bringing things up to date, but why should this mean ditching something that means so much?

"abide with me" is also quaint, and that's why it is so special. links like this to the past are important.

Bullseye.

Yoda

English & European
You have made some good and bad points. It is nice you say that Good Old Sussex-By-Sea should be kept as it is "our song" but if we leave it until the end then that will slowly erode that feeling. That said Right Here, Right Now would be an excellent song to help ramp things up as kick-off approaches. So if I could I would vote for both!...We should play Right Here, Right Now as the players are preparing in the tunnel, etc then as they are due to run out it dies out and Good Old Sussex-By-Sea strikes up.

That ladies and gentleman is the way forward.

Albion & England forever.

Thimble Keegan
Rustington BHA
This. Even tried it on my I-pod and it sounds great.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

This.

7oaksgull

Jan 3, 2010
Sevenoaks, Kent
Agree with the majority of the posts. RHRN before ko but GOSBTS when the team walks out.

I also think a new but still traditional recording is in order to make it as stirring as possible.

How about this? One of these new versions has a male voice choir accompanying the tune and one is music only. The former is played when the team comes onto the pitch and fans can sing along or not as they choose. The unaccompanied version is played at the end of the game.
Imagine a midweek, evening cup-tie and we've just beaten a rival or 'big' club..GOSBTS comes onto the tannoy as the players are taking cheers/applause from the crowd...20,000 voices rise up to sing the words (which are now familiar to everyone as they hear them at the start of every game)
would be amazing..

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I don't remember us running out to 'Rocky', though I'll take people's word for it.

The only time I remember us running out to anything different to GOSBTS was at home to Swindon in 1989, the week after Hillsborough and they came out to The Beatles' Let It Be. Very moving.

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
I don't remember us running out to 'Rocky', though I'll take people's word for it.

The only time I remember us running out to anything different to GOSBTS was at home to Swindon in 1989, the week after Hillsborough and they came out to The Beatles' Let It Be. Very moving.

Yes, it was around the same time as Mike Bailey being in charge I think.

Eggman

Jul 8, 2003
West Sussex
Spot on. They can play what the hell they like beforehand as long as they keep our anthem for the important bit. Every other two-bit, Noddy club in Britain runs out to some tired old pop tune and I don't want us to be the same. And personally I think 'Right here Right now' is a boring drone that does absolutely nothing for me. I felt exactly the same about the theme from 'Rocky' which Mike Bamber introduced once in an attempt to create an atmosphere.

Correct

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Good idea to freshen things up, certainly. Personally I think I'd prefer Right here, Right now as the team sheet is read out, then GOSBTS for when the teams run onto the pitch five mins later.

Exactly - Play Right here right now with 5 mins till KO (a shortened version) and then OF COURSE keep Sussex By the Sea for the players to run out to and for the end of the match.

I take it this is the 'news' Naylor mentioned before that was due out today?

Don Quixote

Nov 4, 2008
Why don't get get that guy to play I fought the law every single week before the match. That should get us pumped...

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003

It was a very short-lived experiment. The team used to run out to a chorus of boos! (Which is what I'll be doing again if GOSBTS is taken from its rightful position).

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
both are good. if you pay attention to RHRN, you'll note the use of a Sitar (or similar) which given our pavilion makes it especially appropriate as a tune for BHA. GOSBTS is for all of Sussex. we'll have both surely, is this a nit-pick over which one is last? or at the moment they come out the tunnel or what?

mega mix?

willingdon_seagull

Mar 5, 2008
Normally I think Andy Naylor is a bit of a c**k, but on this occassion I have to agree with him. See todays Arsegas about GOSBTS.

It is dreary, the kids don't know the words, it is always sung badly these days and we have a new dawn coming. Yes, it is our song so we should keep it, but as Naylor says, 'keep it for the end of the match'.

We have a fifteen minute window to build an atmosphere at the Amex, and GOSBTS won't do it. I even go as far to support his replacement song - Right here, Right now by Fatboy Slim.

Time for change ladies and gentlemen? Discuss......

Couldnt agree more with this post. Everybody talking about kids not knowing the words to GOSBTS, I actually wonder how many adults actually know the words?

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Why don't get get that guy to play I fought the law every single week before the match. That should get us pumped...

I agree.

What we need is an ageing punk to play us a selection of his favourite tunes with no regards to what anybody else likes.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here