• Right Here, Right Now!

Votes: 32 17.5%
  • Other

Votes: 4 2.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
It was a very short-lived experiment. The team used to run out to a chorus of boos! (Which is what I'll be doing again if GOSBTS is taken from its rightful position).

You and me both (in the Norsth stand!) Brov

Thimble Keegan

Remy LeBeau
Jul 7, 2003
Rustington, Littlehampton
I'd do it the other way around, GOSBTS just before they run out and and Right Here Right Now when they run out.

Sorry, I have to disagree, Sussex by the Sea has to be played as the players emerge from the tunnel...It is our song and a tradition we have to keep hold of in these times of modern football where everything else just seems to get eroded...If we ditch Sussex by the Sea we may as well go the whole hog and play music when we score!

Albion & England forever.

Thimble Keegan
Rustington BHA

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
I like Right Here, Right Now too. It has real power and energy. And the Cook connection fully justifies its place in the pre-match build-up.

But Sussex by the Sea is more than 'just a piece of music', or 'a quaint tune'. Why? Because it represents a celebration of our unique history, as Albion fans, and as people from Sussex. It connects us all to its origins, as a march that was played - and sung lustily - as all those young soldiers of the Royal Sussex Regiment, fresh from their billet at the Goldstone Ground, headed off for the Somme trenches. Far too many never made it back. And there was no memorial fund for them.

So, hearing Sussex by the Sea being played loudly and proudly at Falmer by a proper band - and if you're up for it, yes, singing along with the real words - is your chance to connect with that history, and our unique Sussex identity. Being able to do that in the 21st century is not an anachronism. It's simply a privilege.

It's hard to see how any genuine supporter of the Albion would want to throw all that away.

This.

And as a personal connection my grandfather was a member of the Haywards Heath brass band that played the tune at the Goldstone in the 1930s, and he was the one who got me supporting the Albion.

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
Sussex by the Sea. Pounding out through the PA. Some of the crowd cheering; some of the crowd singing - and some of them singing the right words!

That will do for me.

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
Must admit...Right here would get Falmer absolutely rocking when blasted out but GOSBTS send shivers down my spine when i hear it.....not as much as "bubbles" though.

Cpt. Spavil

Mar 9, 2008
Sorry, I have to disagree, Sussex by the Sea has to be played as the players emerge from the tunnel...It is our song and a tradition we have to keep hold of in these times of modern football where everything else just seems to get eroded...If we ditch Sussex by the Sea we may as well go the whole hog and play music when we score!

Albion & England forever.

Thimble Keegan
Rustington BHA

have to agree

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Never heard of Right Here Right Now. It could be anything/anyone.

GOSBTS :amex::bhasign::albion2:

seagurn

Feb 19, 2007
County town
I've just got in and read naylors article ....wrong Mr Naylor you dont even come from sussex and know our tradition so piss off

sams dad

I hate Palarse
Feb 7, 2004
The Hill of The Gun
I like Right Here, Right Now too. It has real power and energy. And the Cook connection fully justifies its place in the pre-match build-up.

But Sussex by the Sea is more than 'just a piece of music', or 'a quaint tune'. Why? Because it represents a celebration of our unique history, as Albion fans, and as people from Sussex. It connects us all to its origins, as a march that was played - and sung lustily - as all those young soldiers of the Royal Sussex Regiment, fresh from their billet at the Goldstone Ground, headed off for the Somme trenches. Far too many never made it back. And there was no memorial fund for them.

So, hearing Sussex by the Sea being played loudly and proudly at Falmer by a proper band - and if you're up for it, yes, singing along with the real words - is your chance to connect with that history, and our unique Sussex identity. Being able to do that in the 21st century is not an anachronism. It's simply a privilege.

It's hard to see how any genuine supporter of the Albion would want to throw all that away.

I wholeheartedly concur with this post.

janee

Fur half
Oct 19, 2008
Lentil land
Played both to the kids. My 7 year old said that when she closes her eyes and listens to GOSBTS she feels her spine tingle and sees the players running out in her head.

Both agreed RHRN should be played to whip the crowd up just before players running out to GOSBTS

Brightonfan1983

Jul 5, 2003
UK
Don't give a shit what they play beforehand, as long as they play GOSBTS when the players run (walk) out the tunnel. If the kids don't know the words then the parents should teach them to them. Since when did anyone sing the words to the music of GOSBTS when the team ran out anyway?

Playing 'Right here, right now' when the team runs out would be rubbish. It will sound even more rubbish in 20 years time. We might as well start playing music when we score if we're going to do that. The kids like it, you see.

Agreed. Sounds a bit New Labour-ish, something that's trendy now, with not much thought given to the past or the future.

fire&skill

Killer-Diller
Jan 17, 2009
Shoreham-by-Sea
Here's what you do:

Put 'Sussex by the Sea' on mid volume and then go and stand at the end of your garden. THAT is the Withdean experience.

Then close all the doors and windows and put it on at full volume ['11'] and sit next to the speakers. Welcome to 'The Amex'.

'Right Here, Right Now', though much admired, fits into the sort of 'playlist' [see 'Seven Nation Army' and 'Chelsea Dagger'] that somebody like MK Dons would play to generate an 'atmosphere' in their plastic little stadium.

We don't need to sing along but we do need GOSBTS blasting out across the stadium and into the South Downs. It will make your spine tingle.

If you want impact at the end of the match, play ''A' Bomb In Wardour Street' by The Jam.

[yt]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/fZoXcZLvJqQ?fs=1&hl=en_GB"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/fZoXcZLvJqQ?fs=1&hl=en_GB" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/yt]

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
FFS what are some of you on?.GOSBTS is Albion Folklore.I cant believe what i am reading,saying we should be playing a song thats played by loads other clubs, its almost as bad as goal music.
GOSBTS sounds shit at Withdean like everything else but i cant wait to hear it when the lads come out at Falmer.

Havn't read the article but Naylor can do one.

fire&skill

Killer-Diller
Jan 17, 2009
Shoreham-by-Sea

I'm a bit p*ssed tonight. And that's made me cry a little bit.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
If you want to play something with Norman Cook in it (aka Fatboy Slim) what is wrong with this?

[yt]7_TMUJIWwyI[/yt]

fire&skill

Killer-Diller
Jan 17, 2009
Shoreham-by-Sea
Just as an aside, during The Great Storm of '87 my Dad & I were alone in the house and we both came downstairs to listen to Radio Brighton/Sussex [whatever it was back then] to catch up on what was happening. Because their transmitters had fallen down they were only able to play GOSBTS on constant loop for a couple of hours.

Whilst the carnage [a few trees falling over] went on outside, me and Dad sat and drank coffee and ate toast and marmalade to the strains of GOSBTS.

It's GOT to stay.

I'm off for another cry - miss me Dad quite a lot.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
How many clubs use Right Here Right Now?
I've certainly heard it at a number of grounds.

How many have the right and the history to play GOSBTS?
Only us.

That long-lasting relationship between club and song, once quite common, is something that has tended to disappear as clubs try to "keep up with the times" and then, by the nature of fads, have to keep on changing.

It may be old fashioned to respect your club's history but for a great many it remains important as lazy journalists trying to manufacture controversy to sell papers might do well to learn. Hopefully Naylor's influence at the club is as limited as the esteem in which he is generally held on here.

There is a time to play popular anthems and a time to respect your history and they are not mutually exclusive.

Last edited:

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
Andy Naylor certainly seems to have his finger on the pulse with this story - NOT

Stick to Stoke City and Delilah Andy

wolfie

Jul 19, 2003
Warwickshire
At Highbury '83, The Metropolitan Police Band played GOSBTS and, I swear, one of the coppers sung the words a la Norman Wisdom (anybody else remember this ?) Why not have a vocalist to lead the singing to whip up the atmosphere at Falmer ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here