• Other

Votes: 4 2.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

backson

Registered Mis-user
Jul 26, 2004
It has to stay.

It's one of the very few links we have left, to the days when I started going to the Albion as a kid.

Am I one of the very few people who still gets goosebumps and watery eyes every time I hear it?

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Hmm GOSBTS is very quaint, but do we want to continue to be a quaint club? It fitted perfectly with the run down hovel that was the Goldstone. The music is an anachronism, it really has no place in the 21st century. I'd be embarrassed to hear it played if we ever made the Champion' league. It sounds like a very old Northern Brighouse and Rastrick (sp?) track.

Time to move on imo and drag the music we run out to into the 21st century and more in keeping with a state of the art stadium. Keeping it because it's traditional has it's merits but if we are gonna change it, next year is the time.

Should I duck at this stage?
But whatever song/tune/choon is picked now is going to sound dated in 5/10 years time - today's cutting edge sound is tomorrow's cheesy rubbish. (And as mentioned we have been here before when the theme from 'Rocky' was briefly used). The only exception to this rule are the odd pieces that due to a combination of factors (tune and arrangement being two) mean that a piece ceases to be 'of it's time' and becomes 'timeless'. GOSBTS falls into that category, RHRN definitely doesn't.

So we either have to keep picking a new song every few years in a desparate attempt to keep re-inventing oursleves and to stop ourselves being lumbered with a dated bit of pop ephemera - or we stick with the ONE thing that makes us unique and differentiates us from every other humdrum club in the land from Liverpool to Lincoln, Manchester Utd to Maidstone Utd.

magoo

Jul 8, 2003
United Kingdom
GOSBTS is timeless and RHRN will sound even shitter in the furure than it does now. Yes, controversial i know but i'm not a big fan of Fatboy Slim's music.

Also been said but it will sound much better on a decent PA. Maybe a new version should be recorded with more oomph!

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Having thought about it the best thing is for the players to be walking out to the crowd singing, and that''s most likely to happen with GOSBTS.

I like the idea of a quick burst of RHRN say 5mins before k/o to "chime in" for gametime, then start GOSBTS as the players start walking out to the pitch.

What I REALLY want is "Sweet Caroline" 10 mins before kickoff with the crowd singing the words "Sweet Calderon". That and "That's Amore".

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
But whatever song/tune/choon is picked now is going to sound dated in 5/10 years time - today's cutting edge sound is tomorrow's cheesy rubbish. (And as mentioned we have been here before when the theme from 'Rocky' was briefly used). .

Dam Busters and 633 squadron still sound good and are likely to do so for ever though. GOSBTS (to me anyway) SOUNDS too Northern influenced to be a Southern teams anthem :shrug:

I totally understand why people may not want to change it, but I personally would like to see it replaced.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Here's an idea, let's take this opportunity to really improve the way we do things. We could change the blue and white stripes for a start as we've had those for ages. Perhaps we could get local designers or art students to come up with a new design each week? And while we are at it the name is so dated now. Perhaps we could be something a bit more modern and snappy? Southern City Sharks or something? And we really need to drop the nickname Seagulls. I mean how naff is that?

I think the move to the Amex is a fantastic opportunity and we really need to embrace change. Getting rid of GOSBTS could be just the start. Have we decided on what music we are going to play when we score yet?
Well now you're just being silly. I DO agree with you that the blue and white stripes should go, it just reminds people of old-fashioned seaside deckchairs and we should be projecting a far more modern image of Brighton.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Well now you're just being silly. I DO agree with you that the blue and white stripes should go, it just reminds people of old-fashioned seaside deckchairs and we should be projecting a far more modern image of Brighton.

Last time we got rid of them we became a top flight club and even got to a Cup Final; look what happened when we changed back to stripes..food for thought :lolol:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Whilst we're on the subject of cleansing the past, can we bin the DK lickers as well? It is time to move on.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Dam Busters and 633 squadron still sound good and are likely to do so for ever though. GOSBTS (to me anyway) SOUNDS too Northern influenced to be a Southern teams anthem :shrug:

I totally understand why people may not want to change it, but I personally would like to see it replaced.
Dambusters and 633 squdaron theme are two more very good examples of timeless pieces of music. And the north doesn't have a monoploy on brass bands.

But I'll do a deal with you. I was only semi-joking with my comment about getting rid of the stripes - so I'll support getting rid of GOSBTS if you'll support my 'Ditch the Deckchairs' campaign. We need a modern kit for a modern stadium. And not blue.

EDIT: I see you agree!

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
This. Get a grip youngsters.
Andy Naylor isn't a youngster. He's a middle aged man. Like most people who come up with these suggestions of what "the kids" want (which is, apparently, a sanitised, generic, soulless experience handed down by middle aged men).

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
But I'll do a deal with you. I was only semi-joking with my comment about getting rid of the stripes - so I'll support getting rid of GOSBTS if you'll support my 'Ditch the Deckchairs' campaign. We need a modern kit for a modern stadium. And not blue.

EDIT: I see you agree!

What do we do with the recently completed roof, spray paint??

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
But whatever song/tune/choon is picked now is going to sound dated in 5/10 years time - today's cutting edge sound is tomorrow's cheesy rubbish

This is not necessarily true.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
What do we do with the recently completed roof, spray paint??
Naa, that's ok, it's not the same blue as the shirts. We need to find a color that complements it, that's all. Just lose those stripes.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
This is not necessarily true.
I'm sure you must have read the rest of the post so you'll know that I said that sometimes a piece of music doesn't date. Most pop songs tend to though: for every sixties classic by someone like the Beatles or the Stones there are dozens by the likes of Leapy Lee and Tiny Tim.

EDIT: And we know how much abuse Atilla gets for playing punk 'classics'. A lot of people don't like that old-fashioned shit.

Last edited:

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
Anyone remember when they played GOSBTS at the 2004 play off final? That was IMMENSE and just enforces the fact that is sounds a bit crap at Withdean beacuse of the PA.

The Albion should run out to GOSBTS and nothing else.

This.

From my first ever game at the Goldstone, to a dull dreary drizzly day at Withdean (via Pissfield) the sound of Good Old Sussex-By-The-Sea has given me goosebumps, stirred emotions, got me right up for it, words or no words. I smile every time I hear it. I even play it when I just want to cheer myself up. This is our heritage, our song.

It is there for every piece of our history, Newcastle, Wembley, Anfield, Hereford, Cardiff.

No change for me

magoo

Jul 8, 2003
United Kingdom
Anyone remember when they played GOSBTS at the 2004 play off final? That was IMMENSE and just enforces the fact that is sounds a bit crap at Withdean beacuse of the PA.

The Albion should run out to GOSBTS and nothing else.

Pre-match I don't care, as long as Atilla isn't on the decks. :jester:

You knows it! :albion2:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here