Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Realistic Transfer Targets

Bring back Bryan wade!!

I wanna caravan for me ma
Jun 28, 2010
Hassocks
Correction Woolford is Bristol City now.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
As you have mentioned before DFP St Ledger would be an excellent signing. Also worth a look at Ched Evans at Sheff Utd and Martyn Woolford of Scunthorpe. As an outside bet if they get promoted maybe Simeon Jackson from Norwich??

I personally think whichever teams join QPR in the Premiership will have a few players who aren't up to the top flight! As you say Jackson would be one of them, Perhaps Luke Moore from Swansea, Parkin from Cardiff or Tyson,Tudgay and Earnshaw from Forest. All Definately championship quality but probably wouldn't make the grade?

Bring back Bryan wade!!

Jun 28, 2010
Hassocks
I personally think whichever teams join QPR in the Premiership will have a few players who aren't up to the top flight! As you say Jackson would be one of them, Perhaps Luke Moore from Swansea, Parkin from Cardiff or Tyson,Tudgay and Earnshaw from Forest. All Definately championship quality but probably wouldn't make the grade?

Earnshaw is defo worth a shout if wages affordable, not sure about Tyson, Moore or Parkin. Would love Borini on a season long loan from Chelsea. C'mon Gus use those contacts!!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Read somewhere that Nathan Tyson is going to sign for Derby when his contract expires at Forest.

What about somebody like Gary McSheffery at Coventry a proven scorer at this level, possibly getting on a bit now.

Jimbo26

Jan 25, 2007
Portslade Old Village
I do, and I know exactly what you mean, he's made some horrific mistakes as of late, but most times i've seen him play he's been quality. When we went up to London Road the only reason why we didn't win about 7-0 was because of Lewis. Yes he's been poor lately but who's to say he can't turn it around and keep Peterborough from conceeding too many in their run-in.
What's wrong with Casper ???

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Sorry to disappoint, but probably all out of reach.

Lallana - £5,000,000+
Lambert - £1,500,000+
Fonte - £2,000,000+
Mackail-Smith - £2,000,000+
Boyd - £1,500,000+
Pilkington - £3,000,000+

These are players that I think would only go to prem sides or sides expecting to challenge for the NPC title. The valuation on these players may seem high, especially on the saints players and Pilkington, but they are integral players and we don't need to sell. If someone want's to stump up that amount of cash, we'll take it.

Wish people would stop referring to it as the "NPC", I've only just got used to being called the Championship.

Makes it sound like a car park.

Spanish Seagulls

Nov 18, 2007
Ladbroke Grove
update on the Dundee Utd pair - manager now seemingly confirming our interest although that doesn't rule it out as just agent's talk

BBC Sport - Conway, Buaben and Gomis to leave Dundee United

That report states that Guy Poyets Brighton were runaway leaders of League One! Anyway I for one am not in favour of picking many players discarded by teams that gain promotion to the Premiership. They are a very short sighted solution to us stepping up a class. We are going to attempt to get into the play off places & then we would surely have to discard those players again unless they had improved dramatically under Gus & his staff. Surely we would be looking more towards players with potential to step up & perhaps a player or two who are Premiership class & want to be involved with the revolution that is taking place at Brighton. There will be one or two older heads that Gus will convince to join us on a 2 or 3 year contract with rewards in their contracts for successfully getting us promoted. I don't want players who are not good enough to step up. If Gus sees something in a player then that's good enough for me though.

Last edited:

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
That report states that Guy Poyets Brighton were runaway leaders of League One! Anyway I for one am not in favour of picking many players discarded by teams that gain promotion to the Premiership. They are a very short sighted solution to us stepping up a class. We are going to attempt to get into the play off places & then we would surely have to discard those players again unless they had improved dramatically under Gus & his staff. Surely we would be looking more towards players with potential to step up & perhaps a player or two who are Premiership class & want to be involved with the revolution that is taking place at Brighton. There will be one or two older heads that Gus will convince to join us on a 2 or 3 year contract with rewards in their contracts for successfully getting us promoted. I don't want players who are not good enough to step up. If Gus sees something in a player then that's good enough for me though.

I agree but we need to be realistic in our targets. We won't be able to compete against clubs like Soton, Cardiff, QPR, Leeds and Leicester because of their financial power. Therefore we have to rely on Gus' and John Stephenson's talent scouting.

As we partially brought Stephenson in for this purpose, I fully expect a few signings that are not necessarily big stars but big players with big futures. Prince Buaben and Morgaro Gomis must fit in to this category of we would not be after them.

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
We won't be able to compete against clubs like Soton, Cardiff, QPR, Leeds and Leicester because of their financial power.

Sorry to paraphrase you here, but I always laugh when I see people mention teams like the above and consider them to be in a better position financially to us.

Southampton are pretty much stuffed since Leibherr died.

Cardiff have had the threat of Administration hanging over them (especially Cardiff!) and Leicester might have spent a bit, but they're still only 11th.

No one knows who actually knows who owns Leeds and so it's currently pointless them shelling out loads of cash on players to get promoted, when the Premier League will prevent them from entering due to league rules stating that the owner of a club must be known.

QPR are the only exception to the above from a "debt" perspective. However, we all know how much trouble they may potentially be in if the league finds them guilty of breaching league rules with the Argie they signed.

We also don't know how much Bloom is going to make available to Poyet but there have been rumours of a transfer budget of upto £30 Million to get us into the Prem and if this is true, then it will make us extremely competitive to get the calibre of players we need to get us into the top 6 that Bloom has been quoted as looking toward for next year.

One thing for sure, is that we're in for a bloody interesting next 4 months from a transfer perspective!!!

Bring back Bryan wade!!

Jun 28, 2010
Hassocks

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Would love Borini on a season long loan from Chelsea. C'mon Gus use those contacts!!

I was thinking about Borini myself, He's scored loads of goals at reserve level for Chelsea and is currently on loan at Swansea where he's scored 6 goals in 7 games. The only problem with getting him though is he's out of contract at Chelsea in the summer and there's Italian teams like Lazio that are interested in signing him so he could well be beyond us.

Another player who I was thinking about from Chelsea is Jack Cork ( son of Alan ) Plays mainly in midfield but can cover at centre back and full back. Unlikely to break into Chelsea 1st team and spends most seasons out on loan so probably a bit more of a realistic target and probably would've played alongside Bridcutt in Chelsea's reserves.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
I read in the Evening Standard last night that Spurs currently have loads of players out on loan, and will look to shed some of them during the summer.
Kudus Oyenuga (with Myllykosken Pallo)
Bongani Khamalo (PNE)
Jake Livermore (Leeds)
Cameron Lancaster (Dagenham)
Jon Obika (Yeovil, till May 7)
Simon Dawkins (San Jose Earthquakes)
Jake Nicholson (Myllykosken Pallo)
Dean Parrett (Charlton)
Andros Townsend (Millwall)
Nathan Byrne (Brentford)Jon Obika (Swindon, recalled)
Robbie Keane (West Ham)
Jamie O'Hara (Wolves)
Tom Carroll (Orient)
David Bentley (Birmingham)
Harry Kane (Orient)
Kyle Walker (Aston Villa)
Kyle Naughton (Leicester)
Paul-Jose M'Poku (Orient)
Adam Smith (Bournemouth)

My mate at work is a QPR fan and tells me they will be spending loads of money over the summer, and will be relasing a number of good players who are Championship standard, but not deemed to be Premership standard. PLayers like Helguson, Hall, Derry, Agyemang and Ephraim.

I think this is the way forward for a lot of our new signings. The sides going going up are going to release a number of decent championship level players. As will prem teams, a la Chelsea and Bridcutt. I know Bloom has said we'll have a competitive budget and wants us to aim for the top six, while Poyet has said we need six or seven new players but I can't see us paying out transfer fees for everyone of them. If we sign Hoskins(and I have no idea whether we will or not now) and Lua Lua, that will be an outlay of 1.5-2million. I will be surprised(and delighted!) if we were then to spend significantly more than that on fees for the other four or five players. Which is where the released prem players and players from promoted clubs come in. Helguson and Derry from QPR(for example) would be pretty decent signings. Both have spent their careers in the top two divisions, and are vastly experienced players without being too old.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
After watching him play for Huddersfield on Saturday could we go after Afobe who is on loan from Arsenal. He was a handful and a season long loan could suit us and Arsenal as we both try to play football the right way.

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
After watching him play for Huddersfield on Saturday could we go after Afobe who is on loan from Arsenal. He was a handful and a season long loan could suit us and Arsenal as we both try to play football the right way.

Before yesterday he'd done very little, 2 goals in 20 odd appearances. He looked good, but think he just had one of those games, much like John Akinde at Daggers down here. Worth looking at a few of the QPR players, can't see a number of them making the step up, plus they'll have a lot of money to spend on better replacements.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here