Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Realistic Transfer Targets

maresfield seagull

May 23, 2006
Before yesterday he'd done very little, 2 goals in 20 odd appearances. He looked good, but think he just had one of those games, much like John Akinde at Daggers down here. Worth looking at a few of the QPR players, can't see a number of them making the step up, plus they'll have a lot of money to spend on better replacements.
Missed this somehow when i replied to BG
Its a good call re Akinde as i mentioned him to a mate[After the Daggers home game] who is a Brentford fan They had him on loan earlier in the year and bombed him out early due to non performance
So you could be right about his lack of consistency[Afobe] but by the same token look at what Gus and Tanno and the backroom staff have done with some of our players this year
It makes me appreciate Woody s input even more .Which many on here seem to poo poo/underestimate

Samej

Banned
Apr 24, 2011
OK, we have no idea of the budget. Any thoughts on possible targets for next season. Starting with cover at right back maybe.
I am sure with the mass of scouting experts we have on here, we can give Gus some assistance for his shortlist.

In my opinion for what its worth this team will do ok in the championship Gus has hinted as much in interviews. We will need more quality cover for times when key players are injured suspended, too much tinkering could do more harm than good.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Michael Brown from Pompey would be a good signing but i expect he is on a fair whack there (not sure if hes been getting it though)

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Jean-Yves M'voto (Oldham on loan from Sunderland) being released by his parent club at the end of this season.
6'4" centre back can also cover full back. Surprisingly nimble considering he is built like a brick shithouse.
No experience above League One but has bags of ability

Last edited:

churley1

Oct 13, 2009
Bogota
Two things you should remember about Chelsea players :

1. Swansea will have first pick, considering Brendan Rodgers has vast respect off the pitch at Stamford Bridge.

2. Swansea play better football and are far more established than yourselves.

I said it before but some of you really need a reality check. Players like Jack Cork, who has Premiership experience is never going to join your lot even if you're a club on the up.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

1. Swansea will have first pick, considering Brendan Rodgers has vast respect off the pitch at Stamford Bridge.

I said it before but some of you really need a reality check. Players like Jack Cork, who has Premiership experience is never going to join your lot even if you're a club on the up.
1. So does Gus Poyet I'd have thought.
2. Who says? Swansea may be more established, but how deep are their pockets? We've just won League One at a canter. I'd say we could easily compete with Swansea, and a club like Southampton will probably feel even better equipped.

This is nonsensical, wishful speculation on your part.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM

I think you may be in for a suprise Churley. I know where i would rather spend a season if i was a young lad.
We should be able to attract yound premiership players who are not getting a regular game...why not ?

churley1

Oct 13, 2009
Bogota
1. So does Gus Poyet I'd have thought.
2. Who says? Swansea may be more established, but how deep are their pockets? We've just won League One at a canter. I'd say we could easily compete with Swansea, and a club like Southampton will probably feel even better equipped.

This is nonsensical, wishful speculation on your part.

Swansea's pocket's are pretty deep I'd imagine. They managed to entice Scott Sinclair to come, I very much doubt Brighton could do so in their first season back in the Champ.

Swansea could get promotion this season and were in contention for 2nd place. If you genuinely believe that Brighton will do the same next season then I think it's you who will be in for a shock. You have a good side but it has very little Championship no how, Swansea were the best team to come to Selhurst for a long time.

I know full well that Brighton are on the up under Poyet, but if you're not willing to meet Glenn Murray's demands then how can you expect to bring in some of the players mentioned?

Like it or loathe it, you have deeper pockets now more than ever, but no way are they some of the biggest in The Championship - and I don't include Palace in that bracket by the way.

churley1

Oct 13, 2009
Bogota
I think you may be in for a suprise Churley. I know where i would rather spend a season if i was a young lad.
We should be able to attract yound premiership players who are not getting a regular game...why not ?

So you really think Jack Cork would join you despite playing in the Prem with Burnley? Obviously you haven't seen him play, he's destined for much greater things than Brighton. Fabio Borini is another one, why would he join Brighton when the man who's coached him at Chelsea has brought him to Swansea and excelled his career further already?

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2

So Swansea are going to want all the same players we want are they? Why is this at all relevant to Gus' targets?

churley1

Oct 13, 2009
Bogota
So Swansea are going to want all the same players we want are they? Why is this at all relevant to Gus' targets?

I merely said some of you need a reality check on who you're going to sign. Some of the players mentioned are rather amusing.

Admittedly some Palace fans do the same, but not on the same level as on the NSC.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Bring em down,show them the shrine,tell them it will be a sell out every week,They'll sign i'm sure.

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi
You make some good points - Swansea are a club we aspire to and I would be happy to be in their position in a couple of seasons, i do think a lot of premier league managers would be happy to let young players join on loan considering Poyet's footballing philosophy and his ability to get the best out of players
Swansea's pocket's are pretty deep I'd imagine. They managed to entice Scott Sinclair to come, I very much doubt Brighton could do so in their first season back in the Champ.

Swansea could get promotion this season and were in contention for 2nd place. If you genuinely believe that Brighton will do the same next season then I think it's you who will be in for a shock. You have a good side but it has very little Championship no how, Swansea were the best team to come to Selhurst for a long time.

I know full well that Brighton are on the up under Poyet, but if you're not willing to meet Glenn Murray's demands then how can you expect to bring in some of the players mentioned?

Like it or loathe it, you have deeper pockets now more than ever, but no way are they some of the biggest in The Championship - and I don't include Palace in that bracket by the way.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
not sure whether it sheds any light on anything but my nephew says he spoke to Kevin Phillips the other day at the Blues training ground and asked him if it was true that he was headng down to Brighton next season. He apparently replied along the lines of "let's get this season finished first then we'll see what happens"

not a confirmation but not a denial and my lad thought from the way he responded that there might be something in it

clarkey

Jan 3, 2006
I find it hard to believe that we cant match Glenn Murrays demands, but KPhil would come here. Appreciate the info though, certainly is more encouraging than I would have expected his answer to be.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
I was more than surprised that Phillips didn't just tell him to take a hike especially as the common rumour up here is that he is on something north of £20K+ per week (it was £30K but I'm fairly sure he took a cut last year to get another season) and had previously said that he wouldn't drop down a league. However at 37 maybe reality is catching up and I do know that he has his eye on a career with Sky so maybe the sort of deal that Savage has at Derby which allows him to combine playing with commentating/punditry would work? In a way I hope not because I don't think his focus would be in the right place but you never know.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
So you really think Jack Cork would join you despite playing in the Prem with Burnley? Obviously you haven't seen him play, he's destined for much greater things than Brighton.

You never know in football and the player himself has said he'd be happy to play in the championship next season, Anyway it was just my opinion and he's probably not even on our radar but it's not totaly unrealistic to think he's the type of player we could be looking to sign in the summer.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
I find it hard to believe that we cant match Glenn Murrays demands, but KPhil would come here. Appreciate the info though, certainly is more encouraging than I would have expected his answer to be.

I'm not convinced it's a case of we cant match Murrays demands but more a case of we're not prepared too, Or at least until he's started to prove himself in the championship. There's something about the Murray situation that still makes me think Gus is still not totaly convinced about him and as a result is not prepared to offer him top money to stay here, It would'nt surprise me if any deal we offer him is more performance related as in the better he does the more his salary could increase during the length of his contract. Time will tell though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here