Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Premier League 07-09/07/20

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Captain Grealish skips out of the way of Pogba's shot, jumping out of the way and turning his back. 0-3.

They are a dismal outfit.

At the end I wonder if Sky will focus in on Solskjaer whispering post match to Jack “Sign for us this summer Jack”.

£150k a week will soon ease the ‘anguish’ of Villa having a nightmare season.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Spot on. The Villa defender set himself to block, and Fernandes's momentum took him into him, terrible decision. A PRIME example of when the ref should clearly have gone over to the pitchside monitor to check/review his decision on the advice of VAR. But no.

I'm grateful in this game, mind. But its just yet another incident to add to the catalogue of evidence that proves that VAR is a crock of steaming shit.

I agree, I can't see what protocols a VAR official could follow to change that on their own. While that one we can all see isn't a pen, they'll be others of a similar nature that you wouldn't want the opinion of an idiot in the VAR box overturning an idiot on the field. But you are correct, where VAR could / should be better used is "Yeah Jon, looks a bit of a dodgy call, why don't you check it pitch side?", but then again that would be far too sensible. Much better to spend 5mins working out where someone's armpit starts than reviewing a poor pen decision.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
At the end I wonder if Sky will focus in on Solskjaer whispering post match to Jack “Sign for us this summer Jack”.

£150k a week will soon ease the ‘anguish’ of Villa having a nightmare season.

I think that ship has sailed, United hardly need him now that Pogba has woken up and they have Bruno Fernandes. Grealish wouldn't get a look-in given the current form of those two.

Spurs might have a sniff, mind. There's no way he's staying at Villa when they go down.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Its pleasing that the bottom 3 have only gained 1 point on us in spite of last nights result and that our goal difference didnt take the massive hit it could've done

Just need to ensure we don’t get complacent and go down 17-0 to Citeh... :lol:

Steve in Japan

NSC Patron
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
Interesting passage of play just now.....Grealish forward 10 yards, back 10 yards, forward again, then pass it back. No progress, no penetration.

Villa have become Jack's team, and I think that's where they've gone wrong. I'm slow, but get there in the end....

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I agree, I can't see what protocols a VAR official could follow to change that on their own. While that one we can all see isn't a pen, they'll be others of a similar nature that you wouldn't want the opinion of an idiot in the VAR box overturning an idiot on the field. But you are correct, where VAR could / should be better used is "Yeah Jon, looks a bit of a dodgy call, why don't you check it pitch side?", but then again that would be far too sensible. Much better to spend 5mins working out where someone's armpit starts than reviewing a poor pen decision.

Do you think its a pride thing ? Would a ref be 'too embarrassed' to overturn his own decision, is that why there is so much reticence to use the pitchside monitor ?

If so, thats even more ridiculous. We saw a really good example last night when Nketiah's yellow card was quite rightly upgraded to a red after the ref looked at it again on the pitchside monitor. Absolutely nothing wrong with that, and the correct decision was arrived at. It worked well in the 2018 World Cup as well.

I am at a total loss as to why it is so seldom used in the EPL. Wouldn't everyone prefer if the man in the middle actually carried the authority to make his own decisions ? I dunno, they've made such a mess of it all. An entirely predictable mess, as I and many others on here said it would be.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
NSC Patron
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Grealish needs to go to Spurs,

He just strikes me as a Spurs type player. Fancy Dan, good when everything is going his way, goes missing when your backs against the wall, loves to feign an injury, and largely overrated.

See, Spurs player.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Can’t stand Villa, but annoyingly for me they can still survive. CP have been awful at times in Restart, Everton doggedly defensive but dross and who knows in the shoot out at the Olympic Stadium.

65 goals conceded, the worst in the PL and 21 defeats, they’ve stunk the PL out.

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
Can’t stand Villa, but annoyingly for me they can still survive. CP have been awful at times in Restart, Everton doggedly defensive but dross and who knows in the shoot out at the Olympic Stadium.

65 goals conceded, the worst in the PL and 21 defeats, they’ve stunk the PL out.

Disagree....AV are crap along with Norwich I think they are gone.....morale must be low, and I hope they take plucky down with them....

So long, farewell, auf Wiedersehen, goodbye :bigwave:

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Tyrone Mings is in the England squad ahead of Lewis Dunk. Take that in.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here