Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Premier League 07-09/07/20

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Code:
Not worth a thread of it’s own so this seems as good a place as any to put this admission that VAR got it wrong in all three games last night. What an absolute shambles. I only saw the United one and that was an unforgivable decision imo. It was so obviously not a penalty that questions need to be asked about the honesty of the VAR officials

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53357841

You don’t need to be a player to know these decisions are incorrect.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
And yet here is Peter Walton writing in the Times today. It really is like there's a referees club.

If the offence is not clear and obvious, then the off-pitch official will not intervene because the final decision should remain with the man in the middle.

[/I]

There is nothing clear and obvious about all these toes offside and some of the non offside decisions given are anything but clear and obvious. Then they miss the clear and obvious errors like the disallowed Sheff United goal.

Referees making this up as they go along. Despite the car crash implementation of VAR somehow Mike Riley keeps his job but then we know referees look after each other which is why we continue to get these bizarre inconsistencies even when the decision is staring them in the face on the monitors

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
I can't see VAR being scrapped but there needs to be some rule changes, with more allowance for common sense. This 'no goal if there's an attacking handball in the move' should be changed to allow for unavoidable but unintentional handballs (Spurs against Sheff U comes to mind, although Bournemouth yesterday should stand). This 'offside by a toenail' will stay as it's something that can be measured. Penalty decisions and off-the-ball fouls should be dealt with better and the fact that there was an admission that 3 decisions yesterday were wrong shows that there is a willingness to adapt. Perhaps if they had a 'neutral' reviewing these there would be less of a suspicion that the 'ref's club' is operating. Ref's also need to use the monitors available more. It might slow down things but it's better to do this at the time.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Code:
Not worth a thread of it’s own so this seems as good a place as any to put this admission that VAR got it wrong in all three games last night. What an absolute shambles. I only saw the United one and that was an unforgivable decision imo. It was so obviously not a penalty that questions need to be asked about the honesty of the VAR officials

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53357841

This!
The problem is still with the officials, not the technology.
VAR undermines them. It is not in their interest to make it work.
We continually criticise VAR rather than the official that took responsibility for the decision using VAR technology.

Time and time again you see them uphold the questionable onfield decisions or fail to apply commonsense to make VAR look responsible.
The "obvious mistake" line adds to much subjectivity to applying the rules. It allows thr "Ref's Union" approach of "Well I wouldn't like anyone overruling me for that one".

Pitchside monitors for the ref is a much better idea. It gives the ref a chance to review and check he saw what he thought he saw.
Rather than passing it over to someone else to pass judgement on a colleagues ability to do their job.

VAR is fine. Time to start blaming the VAR officials.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
This!
The problem is still with the officials, not the technology.
VAR undermines them. It is not in their interest to make it work.
We continually criticise VAR rather than the official that took responsibility for the decision using VAR technology.

Time and time again you see them uphold the questionable onfield decisions or fail to apply commonsense to make VAR look responsible.
The "obvious mistake" line adds to much subjectivity to applying the rules. It allows thr "Ref's Union" approach of "Well I wouldn't like anyone overruling me for that one".

Pitchside monitors for the ref is a much better idea. It gives the ref a chance to review and check he saw what he thought he saw.
Rather than passing it over to someone else to pass judgement on a colleagues ability to do their job.

VAR is fine. Time to start blaming the VAR officials

Spot on, it’s really not that hard. Pitch side monitors give the ref the chance to change his own decision. That United penalty was a far more clear and obvious error than all the toenail offsides that have been given, but the ref doesn’t look like he cocked it up so much on those. VAR is riddled with a ref’s union cover up as things stand.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here