Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Poyet's Post Match Comments - Did he really mean that?

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
I agree with him.

He says the teams that came to us did nothing to win the game with the way they set up and played. Yes, Birmingham managed to get a win but with a fine volley from a Greer clearance, not because they outplayed us. They relied on a moment of magic. You can't do that every game. Yes, Middlesbrough got a win against us, thanks to a deflected shot and some lax finishing from us, you can't rely on that sort of luck every week. They didn't earn their wins on the balance of play, and over the course of a season, if you play that style you will lose more often than you win.

That is what Gus is saying, and I agree. Play like we do every week and we will win more than we lose (something we have done every season with Gus) and it's usually good football to play and watch.
Yay. At last. Thank you Acker. It took a hundred posts, but finally we are on topic!!!!

Anyway, I can't resisit posting it again now I'm at the top of a page

Can be heard here

BBC Sport - Brighton 0-1 Middlesbrough

The bit I'm on about starts at around 1:40

The three teams (Ipswich, Borough, Birmingham) did nothing to win... even though two of them did, but he says if my team went away from home and done that, he would be disappointed.

Happy with the result, but not happy in the long term.

I think he's lost the plot. Surely he didnt mean that. Seems he would rather play well and attacking (bang your head against a brick wall football), not score and lose, then play ugly and win. And that's why I dont believe, (and haven't since last season) that he is a top class manager, that so many on here give him credit for.

Asked what if other teams play the same against us. We will have to deal with it. And there's the problem he can't.

We cannot play through teams that come and park the bus. That is obvious.

We cannot go over them as we have no target man.

We cannot go around them as he starts with all his wingers on the f***ing bench!

So how do we deal with it Gus You're the boss, f***ing sort it.

He then says if we score first/early we'll put seven past someone. Can't ague with that, its the ten games winless runs we have inbetween that bother me.

Then Middlesbrough boss Tony Mowbray says: "You have to prepare properly to face Brighton as they have an exceptionally good side"

Yer, prepare properly because their manager has no f***ing clue how to play against a side that does prepare properly, unless they are gifted an early goal, just as next bottom Ipswich, struggling Birmingham and now Middlesbrough have done.

I think anyone who sat through that today, and still think Poyet is our best ever manager or the man to lead us to the premiership, needs a serious reality check.

Keep the faith.... not no more.

Queue more Mr Burns is a wanker posts.

Queue more apologists not believing anyone can dare question the messiah

Queue more avoiding the thread first post................

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I think he is right. If we scab a victory then I would be happy with the result. I would however prefer to play the ball to feet, make chances and have players who I could rely on to put them away.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I agree with Mr Burns. To win promotion we need to win about 24 matches. We will never win 24 matches a season with only Plan A to call upon. At a much higher level, we are seeing Arsenal struggle to keep up with the top clubs playing a passing game. You HAVE to be able to mix it up and we cannot. I just don't see Gus ever delivering EPL football because I do not think his team will ever be able to grind out results against teams that sit everyone behind the ball, press us high up the pitch or simply get super-physical. Look at all the teams who win promotion each year and the common trend is that they will all be able to get results when they don't play well. We have to be on top form to win, or else we draw 0-0 or lose 1-0.

Surely Arsenal are failing to keep up with the top clubs because they won't break the wage structure and therefore have become a selling club.

I agree with you about grinding out results, just remember when we were promoted and won all those games in March by one goal margins.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Last time we beat Boro was circa 89/90 with Mark Barham scoring the winner at a wet Goldstone fimal score 1-0. Just saying.

wehatepalace

Limbs
NSC Patron
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
I think our squad is good enough, although I still think we're a decent striker short of being a decent side, I like Poyet's philosophy regarding our identity and the way we play.
What I find flabbergasting is the fact we don't play a more attacking game from the start at home, we didn't really attack yesterday until the second half, by which time we were chasing the game.
If we had played a more positive game from the start yesterday we would have beaten them by at least two goals.
When we did start attacking yesterday, it looked to me like it was too late and the players were panicking every time they were in front of goal, we are a much better side when we are controlling the game and the players are a bit more relaxed, to do this we need an early goal, which will not come by playing a defensive game.
Still onwards and upwards, it's still early, but if we want to compete at the top, we need to start beating teams like Boro.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Gus uses the example of teams adapting their usual style against us a compliment to how good we are. The reality is this is top quality managers knowing that in certain situations you need to bend your principles to get a result

Our current style will be adequate enough for a mid table finish but if we have aspirations of going up we have to develop an alternative for when teams don't fancy rolling over and watching our attractive passing.

Gus is still a relatively inexperienced manager and providing he learns from this problem and adapts an alternative solution we will be fine.

However if not addressed then we will not go up and gus will not have the credentials to be a premier league manager.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
So, Mr Burns & TCB think we should get rid of Poyet. It's funny really, how it's always the same people who are first to turn on a manager, any manager. Sacking a manager is not how you improve a team but stability and given time to build a squad is. Blackpool got relegated from the Prem with Holloway but have stuck with him. Poyet had a 5 year plan to get us promoted and I, for one, think we have a better squad than last season and will improve on last season's position. Those who are more patient than the Mr Burns and TCB (he who thought Poyet would take us down to Lge 2) tend not to panic and revel in misery after a few games without a win. It's not as if we've lost 5 games on the trot.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
if we want to compete at the top, we need to start beating teams like Boro.

Surely there lies the problem. We have not beaten them for 22 years, as TMLS said, so what makes you think we should beat them now? Is it the manager, players, facilities or what? Too many commentators glibly say our squad is good enough but fail to look at the squads of our competitors.

There is nothing to suggest we have a right to beat a decent Championship side like 'Boro. They have a good squad, an experienced manager and know this division well. There are many other teams like 'Boro, who are physically stronger and difficult to break down.

The two sides at the top (Cardiff and Leicester) both have 100% home records, and both are being bankrolled by foreign money. This is why they can sign players like Beckford and Bellamy, whereas we sign Dobbie and Orlandi. They both have lost the same number of games as us though, and only Forest and Blackburn have lost fewer. This is a competitive division, as evidenced by Cardiff getting a pasting yesterday.

I think we are better than last season, the Watford result shows that we can grind it out. Last season there we were poor and lost, this season poor and won.

We are also creating far more chances than last season, and if you create more chances you should score more goals.

I just don't think that the players we have are exceptional enough to make us win this division, and TB is not willing to bankroll half a dozen six foot three players to sit on the bench and make us Stoke lite.

A good striker would make the difference, Dobbie has disappointed to date, CMS blows hot and cold, we experimented with Buckley at Millwall but his hamstrings are an ongoing problem, and Barnes is not an out and out striker.

Surrey_Albion

Jan 17, 2011
Horley
I'm with [MENTION=12595]Acker79[/MENTION] good football good game plan, players let us down with their finishing, or lack of

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The way I look at it this time last year we had 3 or 4 parts of the jigsaw missing. Now we have just one part missing. Yet it turns out it is the most important part. We're close but we need to stay in the mix until the next window when we must buy a proper striker. I'm not surprised Gus is frustrated, but he can't play one up front and both wingers on the bench at home again.

Blues Rock DJ

Apr 18, 2011
Dorset
With 20 mins to go Gus & Tanno spent two minutes looking at a notebook for inspiration...confusion reigned

from my vantage point, all was not well between Gus and Tanno, voices were certainly raised as Tanno went back to his seat in a sulk......if only Gus had got/would get this 'striker with prescence' who is going to help CMS.....if only CMS would wear the correct footwear so he doesn't slip over at crucial moments.......if only Barnes could be arsed to get a ball instead of giving up and watching it go out of play (just before half-time)......

Blues Rock DJ

Apr 18, 2011
Dorset
and further to that, if only Greer had listened to Kuscak who was calling for the ball that Greer took, lost and they ended up scoring.....

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Football is unique in that we all think we know better than the professionals.

I don't think I am qualified to tell my doctor how to do his job just because I have a box set of Casualty, so why people claim that Poyet/Slade/Adams/Taylor/Coppell are not doing their job properly because they werevat the game is intriguing.

FWIW I take the view that it is players that make a difference, not managers. Good players cost a lot of money, we are better off financially than before, but not as well off as all our rivals.

Shouldn't stop us having and expressing opinions tho'.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Can be heard here

BBC Sport - Brighton 0-1 Middlesbrough

The bit I'm on about starts at around 1:40

The three teams (Ipswich, Borough, Birmingham) did nothing to win... even though two of them did, but he says if my team went away from home and done that, he would be disappointed.

Happy with the result, but not happy in the long term.

I think he's lost the plot. Surely he didnt mean that. Seems he would rather play well and attacking (bang your head against a brick wall football), not score and lose, then play ugly and win. And that's why I dont believe, (and haven't since last season) that he is a top class manager, that so many on here give him credit for.

Asked what if other teams play the same against us. We will have to deal with it. And there's the problem he can't.

We cannot play through teams that come and park the bus. That is obvious.

We cannot go over them as we have no target man.

We cannot go around them as he starts with all his wingers on the f***ing bench!

So how do we deal with it Gus??? You're the boss, f***ing sort it.

He then says if we score first/early we'll put seven past someone. Can't ague with that, its the ten games winless runs we have inbetween that bother me.

Then Middlesbrough boss Tony Mowbray says: "You have to prepare properly to face Brighton as they have an exceptionally good side"

Yer, prepare properly because their manager has no f***ing clue how to play against a side that does prepare properly, unless they are gifted an early goal, just as next bottom Ipswich, struggling Birmingham and now Middlesbrough have done.

I think anyone who sat through that today, and still think Poyet is our best ever manager or the man to lead us to the premiership, needs a serious reality check.

Keep the faith.... not no more.

You don't belong on this site. Ban him!!! You talk far to much sense and haven't got a pair of Gus is god boxer shorts.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
So, Mr Burns & TCB think we should get rid of Poyet. It's funny really, how it's always the same people who are first to turn on a manager, any manager. Sacking a manager is not how you improve a team but stability and given time to build a squad is. Blackpool got relegated from the Prem with Holloway but have stuck with him. Poyet had a 5 year plan to get us promoted and I, for one, think we have a better squad than last season and will improve on last season's position. Those who are more patient than the Mr Burns and TCB (he who thought Poyet would take us down to Lge 2) tend not to panic and revel in misery after a few games without a win. It's not as if we've lost 5 games on the trot.

Not sure they are saying that im reading it more along the lines that "he is not the messiah" and im gonna be honest all this mutual masterbation of gus can do no wrong gets on my tits his halo has slipped somewhat but people fail to see that. That said i would still rather him in charge.

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
I agree with most of what you say, but if the relegated team keeps the players, then they are likely to be better than players who have played in the championship/League 1 for the last few seasons. If the team keeps these players they have a greater chance of being in contention the following season.

I am beating my head against a brick wall though, ultimately I take the view that money talks in football, and has a greater impact than tactics or post match interviews. Other people take a different viewpoint, as is their right and privilege.

I havent really checked but how many team that are relegated manage to keep the players they came down with for very long. The players either have an opt out clause to move on or the club have to move them on because of the wages, Even then half the time do you still want the players that failed you to stay?

I don't think most people on here understand how much of a gulf there is between the top half of the prem to the Championship. its massive in quality, effort, wages and transfer fees. The reason Arsenal are on the way down is that they have a stubborn manager who overestimated his playing style and forgot that you have to defend to keep winning - its a trait I'm worried Gus may have. Lose key goal scorers and players,fail to replace them like Arsenal and without a defence and keeper (like Arsenal) a nice playing style seems to fizzle out and you are left with nothing - you need another route or style to get the results to keep confidence going and thats where a good manager just as important as good players.

With regards to FFp and budgets look at Ipswich for example, I never though I would say this after all our wilderness shit years but we have had a massive stroke of luck getting the Amex when we have, the momentum and good feeling has given us a massive boost and income over lots of other clubs who are struggling with FFp and falling revenue and investment. The worry is (and I think this what Mr Burns is alluding to) is that if we can't compete on budget now we obviously have wasted money and we only have to now lose momentum and could end up struggling.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here