Runners-up: 1970, 1997
Full Members Cup
Winners: 1985-86, 1989-90
European
UEFA Cup Winners' Cup
Winners: 1970–71, 1997–98
UEFA Super Cup
Winners: 1998

And as for what I said earlier about transfers, TWO of the latest FIVE season's Chelsea have made a PROFIT of around £6m on fee's (and also on one summer window too).

Biggest sale was Arjen Robben for £24m.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
average gates in the old 1st the mid 70's Division One 1978-1979
Club Average vs '78
1 Manchester United 46.430 -10,5%
2 Liverpool 46.407 1,9%
3 Arsenal 36.371 2,6%
4 Manchester City 36.203 -13,2%
5 Everton 35.456 -10,3%
6 Tottenham Hotpsur 34.902 NEW
7 Aston Villa 32.838 - 7,4%
8 Nottingham Forest 29.587 - 9,0%
9 Leeds United 27.633 - 5,3%
10 West Bromwich Albion 26.517 9,9%
11 Chelsea 24.782 -13,8%
12 Bolton Wanderers 23.200 NEW
13 Coventry City 22.638 - 3,1%
14 Bristol City 22.306 - 4,5%
15 Ipswich Town 21.673 - 8,1%
16 Derby County 21.555 - 7,7%
17 Southampton 21.330 NEW
18 Wolverhampton Wanderers 20.796 - 6,8%
19 Birmingham City 20.164 -15,7%
20 Middlesbrough 18.459 - 7,1%
21 Norwich City 17.874 - 7,7%
22 Queens Park Rangers 16.287 -18,3%

brightons average in the old 2nd Largest Average Crowd (League Div. 2): 25264 (1977-78) as i said not a lot of difference

This has actually managed to tempt me out of lurking as I think I agree with Macky! What he is saying is that Chelsea are a much smaller club in terms of support than most of you think.

Chelsea are a bandwagon club in a very similar way to the Albion. When they are doing well they do very well but the bottom end of the crowds is very small indeed. I have been to a game in the old Div 1 where they played Southampton and got just over 6,000.

Chelsea are way, way smaller than Spurs or Arsenal for example in terms of core support. That does not mean they cannot get big crowds or win things. Clearly they are bigger than the Albion today and may always be. But if Brighton had Chelsea's success over the last 10 years do you not think they could not fill a 40,000 stadium? Anyone over about 35 will know it is possible. I have been in a 35,000 crowd when we played Derby in the 70's. A time of post war low crowds.

The support would only come when we were successful as will Chelsea's, but it will come, if the game is big enough. Neither club has the core fanatical support of a truly big club but they are pretty big clubs in their own right, in a major population centre. Sussex has a population of over 1.25m and only one league football club...

macky

Dec 28, 2004
They owe him nothing, zero,zilch, the whole lot has been converted to equity, next ill informed stupid question ?

The club remains ostensibly debt-free but Roman Abramovich maintains the right to call in the millions of pounds he is owed. Abramovich channelled his loans to the club by loaning money to Chelsea Limited, who then loaned it on to Chelsea FC plc, which runs the club.

More detail after the jump….

It is true that the loans from the holding company to Chelsea FC plc were fully converted to shares last year. However Abramovich’s loan to Chelsea Limited, the holding company which owns Chelsea FC plc, was not. That loan remains owing; in fact it increased from £701m, because Abramovich loaned another £25m in a year when Chelsea’s extravagant spending, and the dismissal of Luiz Felipe Scolari and his coaching team, produced losses of £47m.

The accounts of Chelsea Limited (whose name was changed during the year to Fordstam Limited), show that loan still outstanding: £726m, owed to Abramovich.

A spokesman for the club confirmed that yesterday: “Recapitalisation of loans happened at the level of Chelsea FC plc, not the holding company (Fordstam), therefore making the football club debt free.

The loan is interest free, but it is repayable if Abramovich gives 18 months’ notice. The Russian could still demand the money back some day, either if the club is making a profit, or if he were to sell it. He has not, in fact, written off the huge loans he has made on his Chelsea adventure.

i see your in the know

Yoda

English & European
This has actually managed to tempt me out of lurking as I think I agree with Macky! What he is saying is that Chelsea are a much smaller club in terms of support than most of you think.

Chelsea are a bandwagon club in a very similar way to the Albion. When they are doing well they do very well but the bottom end of the crowds is very small indeed. I have been to a game in the old Div 1 where they played Southampton and got just over 6,000.

Chelsea are way, way smaller than Spurs or Arsenal for example in terms of core support. That does not mean they cannot get big crowds or win things. Clearly they are bigger than the Albion today and may always be. But if Brighton had Chelsea's success over the last 10 years do you not think they could not fill a 40,000 stadium? Anyone over about 35 will know it is possible. I have been in a 35,000 crowd when we played Derby in the 70's. A time of post war low crowds.

The support would only come when we were successful as will Chelsea's, but it will come, if the game is big enough. Neither club has the core fanatical support of a truly big club but they are pretty big clubs in their own right, in a major population centre. Sussex has a population of over 1.25m and only one league football club...

Bit of a no brainer, if ANY club had the success Chelsea have had for the last 10 years they would fill a 40,000 stadium.

macky

Dec 28, 2004

hurrah thank you at last someone who can see what im trying to say

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
The club remains ostensibly debt-free but Roman Abramovich maintains the right to call in the millions of pounds he is owed. Abramovich channelled his loans to the club by loaning money to Chelsea Limited, who then loaned it on to Chelsea FC plc, which runs the club.

More detail after the jump….

It is true that the loans from the holding company to Chelsea FC plc were fully converted to shares last year. However Abramovich’s loan to Chelsea Limited, the holding company which owns Chelsea FC plc, was not. That loan remains owing; in fact it increased from £701m, because Abramovich loaned another £25m in a year when Chelsea’s extravagant spending, and the dismissal of Luiz Felipe Scolari and his coaching team, produced losses of £47m.

The accounts of Chelsea Limited (whose name was changed during the year to Fordstam Limited), show that loan still outstanding: £726m, owed to Abramovich.

A spokesman for the club confirmed that yesterday: “Recapitalisation of loans happened at the level of Chelsea FC plc, not the holding company (Fordstam), therefore making the football club debt free.

The loan is interest free, but it is repayable if Abramovich gives 18 months’ notice. The Russian could still demand the money back some day, either if the club is making a profit, or if he were to sell it. He has not, in fact, written off the huge loans he has made on his Chelsea adventure.

i see your in the know
I see you can cut and paste , its you're not your btw.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Anyone over about 35 will know it is possible. I have been in a 35,000 crowd when we played Derby in the 70's. A time of post war low crowds.
what war was that? the korean?

being a child of the 50/60's, the 50's was post war!

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
so where will everyone be happy ?
if 20 years ago i said chelsea would be a top 4 stating what they have won
people would have laughed at me just as some on here are now
all im saying is aim high who knows
and as i said if he buildsa new ground like he wants to
there wil be no chelsea anyway
Nothing wrong with aiming high, and yes, for a few brief years in the 1970s our attendance was actually higher than theirs. But come on! We've spent nearly all our existence in the bottom two divisions, Chelsea have barely strayed outside the top. And apart from those few years they've always had bigger crowds than us- not surprising as they've always had a bigger ground, better players and played at a higher level. And they've won things. And they've got a bigger fanbase. And a bigger catchment area that stretches way outside their location in heavily-populated West London out through all the home counties, south to Sussex and east to Kent. In comnparison we've got the Brighton/Worthing conurbation and a few medium-size towns; the rest of our 'catchment area' is green fields and little villages.

Yes we may well get some of the 'soft' Sussex Chelsea to switch to us. But overall, regardless of what we do, Chelsea were bigger, are bigger and almost definitely always will be bigger.

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
so where will everyone be happy ?
if 20 years ago i said chelsea would be a top 4 stating what they have won
people would have laughed at me just as some on here are now
all im saying is aim high who knows
and as i said if he buildsa new ground like he wants to
there wil be no chelsea anyway

Mate 20 years ago Chelsea finshed 5th in the top division.

I think if you want to pick a realistic team to aspire to it should be Bolton or the like.

macky

Dec 28, 2004
Nothing wrong with aiming high, and yes, for a few brief years in the 1970s our attendance was actually higher than theirs. But come on! We've spent nearly all our existence in the bottom two divisions, Chelsea have barely strayed outside the top. And apart from those few years they've always had bigger crowds than us- not surprising as they've always had a bigger ground, better players and played at a higher level. And they've won things. And they've got a bigger fanbase. And a bigger catchment area that stretches way outside their location in heavily-populated West London out through all the home counties, south to Sussex and east to Kent. In comnparison we've got the Brighton/Worthing conurbation and a few medium-size towns; the rest of our 'catchment area' is green fields and little villages.

Yes we may well get some of the 'soft' Sussex Chelsea to switch to us. But overall, regardless of what we do, Chelsea were bigger, are bigger and almost definitely always will be bigger.

like i said who knows if we could do well in the prem then things could change yes they have always been bigger but not that much
in crowed size anyway

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
We could get to the premiership and quite comfortably battle for mid table based on the size of our stadium and the large area for a potential fanbase.

but I think we need a much higher capacity or a stupidly rich and irresponsible chairman to compete for trophies

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
like i said who knows if we could do well in the prem then things could change yes they have always been bigger but not that much
in crowed size anyway
Could we be as big as Man Utd in 2 years time, macky?

Lets hope so eh? We beat them once in a league game and we shared a cup final with them only 27 years ago so I reckon we won't be far behind them once Falmer gets built. :thumbsup:

macky

Dec 28, 2004
We could get to the premiership and quite comfortably battle for mid table based on the size of our stadium and the large area for a potential fanbase.

but I think we need a much higher capacity or a stupidly rich and irresponsible chairman to compete for trophies

exactly a bit like chelsea

macky

Dec 28, 2004
Could we be as big as Man Utd in 2 years time, macky?

Lets hope so eh? We beat them once in a league game and we shared a cup final with them only 27 years ago so I reckon we won't be far behind them once Falmer gets built. :thumbsup:

if i had said man u or arsenal then you could have laughed and rightly so
but i said a club that without harding im not sure they would even be in the prem things happened for them at the right time
do you think the russian would have brought them if they had been in the 2nd division they got there money at the right time

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
if i had said man u or arsenal then you could have laughed and rightly so
but i said a club that without harding im not sure they would even be in the prem things happened for them at the right time
do you think the russian would have brought them if they had been in the 2nd division they got there money at the right time
What about Real Madrid? I saw them lose in a Champions League match once. Even we could do that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here