15 Ipswich Town 21.673 - 8,1%
16 Derby County 21.555 - 7,7%
17 Southampton 21.330 NEW
18 Wolverhampton Wanderers 20.796 - 6,8%
19 Birmingham City 20.164 -15,7%
20 Middlesbrough 18.459 - 7,1%
21 Norwich City 17.874 - 7,7%
22 Queens Park Rangers 16.287 -18,3%

brightons average in the old 2nd Largest Average Crowd (League Div. 2): 25264 (1977-78) as i said not a lot of difference

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I'm guessing Chelsea have never been smaller than around 1982-83 when they were division 2 fodder and had 8,000 rattling around their awful stadium. Even when they were finally promoted in 1989 (or around there), they had gates of under 8,000.

It's just that this period in Chelsea's history coincides with a time when we've never been bigger, but even then, in 1984 when they came down here and smashed up the Goldstone, they must've had around 7-8,000 in a crowd of 20,000.

You could easily argue Chelsea aren't as big as Spurs/Arsenal historically, but comparing them to the Albion is completely ridiculous.

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
OH FFS :facepalm:

How did you come up with that, in that Chelsea are regular competitors in the Champions League, their ground is somewhat bigger, they have some outstanding players in their squad and it goes on and on....

If Brighton were to be matched with a premiership team, I would go along the same lines of maybe ......Wigan

We have a potentially bigger fan base, but we need to walk before we can run. The good times "appear" to be coming back, a bit early however to say "are Brighton bigger than Chelsea?"
:lolol:

Less than 20 years ago, I saw Wigan getting stuffed at home by Port Vale 4-0 as they slid back into the bottom tier. I don't think Albion have quite sunk THAT low...

And Springfield Park must have been the biggest dump ever to have featured League football, though Plough Lane ran it close. Possible thread here?

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
if it werent tony blooms it would have been someone elses
the stadium had gone through we area vert atractive club
as nice place to bring clients show off etc
without harding or the russian i think chelsea would now be on par with palace but a little worse because i dont think they would havea ground
as i said we are not as big as them
but we have the potential to be
and f*** me if you are going to aspire to be anything
i would say most of chelseas support comes from sussex
i can see a few of those fans being nicked

Sorry but you must be in some kind of dream world if you think we've got the potential to be as big as Chelsea, Even once Falmer is up and running we'll still be miles apart.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
average gates in t

Yes but you cant just take one season in isolation

You have to look at it over 10 years/15 years/ 50 years

Huddersfield Town in teh 20's were the first club to win the first division three times on the trot...in my book that makes them the biggest club in the world...it was unique...it was done later, but they were first.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Less than 20 years ago, I saw Wigan getting stuffed at home by Port Vale 4-0 as they slid back into the bottom tier. I don't think Albion have quite sunk THAT low...

And Springfield Park must have been the biggest dump ever to have featured League football, though Plough Lane ran it close. Possible thread here?

0-4 at Gillingham to darlington....I think that tops that one

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

I saw Albion stuffed 4-0 at home by Darlington...DARLINGTON

macky

Dec 28, 2004
I read this board and as you can see I essentially never feel the need to post anything but the idea that we are as big/bigger than Chelsea is one of the most ridiculous claims I have ever seen made by a football fan and that is one hell of an achievement.

Before Abramovic, even before Bates and even when they weren't in the top
league there was still no comparison.

And the reason their attendance is 'only' 43,000 or so is because they can't expand the stadium anymore.

and the only reason their gates are that high
is that they have gone out and brought the best with false money

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent

I know Springfield Park and yes it was a dump along with Plough Lane. Northampton's County Ground was odd as was Aldershot's Recreation Ground but The Shay at Halifax was dreadful. Macclesfield's Moss Road is not picnic either.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent

Oh I see, does that mean that Falmer has been bought with 'False Money' ? Just because they have a wealthy benefactor they seem to be doing a lot better than Man City who have even more 'False Money'.

Unlike some clubs they pay their way.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

Chelsea would fill that stadium even if they were only, say, Liverpool or Aston Villa standard nowadays. As has been said before, they'd probably fill SB if it held 60,000.

macky

Dec 28, 2004
Yes but you cant just take one season in isolation

You have to look at it over 10 years/15 years/ 50 years

Huddersfield Town in teh 20's were the first club to win the first division three times on the trot...in my book that makes them the biggest club in the world...it was unique...it was done later, but they were first.

exactly and who knows what the next 15 20 years hold for us
brighton are on the up
chelsea i think are on the decline a little ??
their whole team wil need replacing in the next two years
be very interesting to see what happens if the russain dont come up with any more money
and they arent going to get much in transfer fees

macky

Dec 28, 2004
Oh I see, does that mean that Falmer has been bought with 'False Money' ? Just because they have a wealthy benefactor they seem to be doing a lot better than Man City who have even more 'False Money'.

Unlike some clubs they pay their way.

the difference being their benefactor does not really give a f*** for the club
do you think hes a fan ??
where as ours is a fan of the club

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
be very interesting to see what happens if the russain dont come up with any more money
and they arent going to get much in transfer fees

He has'nt been putting money in for big transfer fee's for a couple of years now but it did'nt stop them winning the double last season, His aim is to make the club self financing.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
exactly and who knows what the next 15 20 years hold for us
brighton are on the up
chelsea i think are on the decline a little ??

Five games into the season, they're top with a 100% record and a +20 goal difference represents Chelsea on the decline? Jesus.

Tell you what, let's have this conversation in 15-20 years' time and compare notes, shall we?

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
Are you sure? I thought that they had trouble seeling out Stamford Bridge on many an occasion.

Not so sure in recent years Nigel.

macky

Dec 28, 2004
Five games into the season, they're top with a 100% record and a +20 goal difference represents Chelsea on the decline? Jesus.

Tell you what, let's have this conversation in 15-20 years' time and compare notes, shall we?

what im saying is their sqad has to be one of the oldest in the prem ??
when they go whos going to replace them with out the outside money
he wants want to build a new stadium to house all these fans
trouble being i think that if they leave the bridge they cannot be called chelsea anymore ?
o if he gets his way chelsea may no longer exist ??

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here