Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Potter OUT!

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
On that theory no football manager would ever get fired any earlier than June.

Look, let’s just see if he increases his win rate because based on his tenure so far it’s not looking too rosey.

That’s not true though, is it? And we’re hardly adrift at the bottom of the league.

I had to break it to you but win rate isn’t what keeps you in the league. There’s this thing called the league table that decides where each team finishes- that’s the thing to keep an eye on.

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
I am more disappointed with the home draw against WBA than I am the narrow defeat against Spurs but the challenge for Potter is to lift and maintain team morale after consistently inspiring good performances without generating points.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Neither in or out despite his recent antics and the position we are in but............

As kick off approached a close up on Potter , my Mrs commented

" He's a bit gormless your manager isn't he "

I couldn't disagree

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Too early to consider changing manager but he has to get his act together. You cant play in PL with 4 CBs and no out and out striker. One our CBs playing out of position in midfield and another played during same game out of position at full back then centre forward. 2-1 down why didnt he play Welbeck with Trossard instead of taking him off. Once decision made to leave Maupay out why wasnt he sub. He would have been raring to go when coming on.
Goodness knows what he will do when Dunk is fit He clearly would rather play them all even if out of position then leave any out.
If he plays without strikers against Burnley he can consider himself very lucky there wont be 30k crowd there.

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
We’re both making assumptions on things we don’t know. The difference is that I’m also basing mine on facts that we do know.

1 win every 2 months.
24% win rate.

If that changes we’ll be ok if not then in 8 months time I’ll return here and call you a moron and question your professional/personal life.

His win record is poor over the last 12 months. During the slump
Last season he needed lockdown to drag us out of it. Overall his record is poor and you get no bonus points for playing well.

Feel free to come back and call me a moron in 8 months if we go down. They’re words on a screen at the end of the day and people shouldn’t let them effect them. You still haven’t answered the question though

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Don't you see the problem with that statement?

Not after 7 games, no. Not when we’ve played Man Utd, Everton, Spurs and Chelsea in those 7.

Honestly, what are people expecting? Did people really think we would be in the top ten this season?

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
Not after 7 games, no. Not when we’ve played Man Utd, Everton, Spurs and Chelsea in those 7.

Honestly, what are people expecting? Did people really think we would be in the top ten this season?

If we had drew 1-1 with Newcastle and beaten West Brom 3-0 the majority of the people moaning currently would be happy enough with our start to the season. It’s bizarre

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
If we had drew 1-1 with Newcastle and beaten West Brom 3-0 the majority of the people moaning currently would be happy enough with our start to the season. It’s bizarre

Exactly. Football fans are just weird. Completely irrational. Imagine if the real world was like this.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Pre match most thought we'd lose , we lost , what's the problem? Give your head a wobble , Potter nearly pulled off a bit of a masterpiece tactical wise result last night, nobody including Spuds saw that team coming , Son was anonymous, Kane resulted to diving and we were on the night the better team .

Potter out ? Ffs give it a rest .

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Pre match most thought we'd lose , we lost , what's the problem? Give your head a wobble , Potter nearly pulled off a bit of a masterpiece tactical wise result last night, nobody including Spuds saw that team coming , Son was anonymous, Kane resulted to diving and we were on the night the better team .

Potter out ? Ffs give it a rest .

Before the game, I was seriously concerned about the form of Son and Kane, but as you rightly pointed out, with the team we put out, they did nothing.

(Shame about Bale :wink:)

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

But Potter was hired to take those team on head on. Hughton's game against all but Man U was sit tight and do nothing. Hughton had a better record against Man U.

Again, the club's aim is to be a sustainable top ten team, and it's been communicated. It's becoming like those seasons when Paul Barber unfortunately used the phrase "Premier League Ready" and then it was held against him. 16th every season is what we were trying to avoid, and he'll not see out his contract if that's what we do.

We spent all summer laughing at Leeds but do you think they'd settle for 16th?

Nevertheless, you are correct that we've had some tough games and have mostly played well in them. I'm not in the Potter Out camp by any means, but I am in the "Potter needs better results". I would take six points over Burnley and Villa if we had 30% possession in both and the single winning goals both went in off Burn's backside. Play "nicely" in those games and get one point out of the two games in total and he'll be in trouble.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
But Potter was hired to take those team on head on. Hughton's game against all but Man U was sit tight and do nothing. Hughton had a better record against Man U.

Again, the club's aim is to be a sustainable top ten team, and it's been communicated. It's becoming like those seasons when Paul Barber unfortunately used the phrase "Premier League Ready" and then it was held against him. 16th every season is what we were trying to avoid, and he'll not see out his contract if that's what we do.

We spent all summer laughing at Leeds but do you think they'd settle for 16th?

Nevertheless, you are correct that we've had some tough games and have mostly played well in them. I'm not in the Potter Out camp by any means, but I am in the "Potter needs better results". I would take six points over Burnley and Villa if we had 30% possession in both and the single winning goals both went in off Burn's backside. Play "nicely" in those games and get one point out of the two games in total and he'll be in trouble.

There are shortcuts to getting more points in the short-term, but not to becoming a top ten side.

If we were a team that only has 30% possession against Burnley and Villa, we're not going to become a top ten team however long we stay up in the premier league doing that.

Hughton got three successive 1-0 wins in his last season doing pretty much what you advocate, and it ended up being a stick to beat him with, as he was widely criticised for results masking our failures.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
It's way too early to be talking seriously about ditching Potter. However I don't think we should think of it being as far away as many think. Our games to the end of the year are as follows;

Burnley (H)
Villa (A)
Liverpool (H)
Southampton (H)
Leicester (A)
Fulham (A)
Sheffield United (H)
West Ham (A)
Arsenal (H)

IMHO there are three games in there I wouldn't expect us to get something from, so we have a decent one. If we're bang in trouble at New Year then it might be time to think about a change.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
There are shortcuts to getting more points in the short-term, but not to becoming a top ten side.

If we were a team that only has 30% possession against Burnley and Villa, we're not going to become a top ten team however long we stay up in the premier league doing that.

Hughton got three successive 1-0 wins in his last season doing pretty much what you advocate, and it ended up being a stick to beat him with, as he was widely criticised for results masking our failures.

"I would take" is my way of posing an extreme alternative to what will happen in terms of performance and stating it would be acceptable to me if it got a result. Not only is it not long term, it's not how we'll play. But performance gets you nowhere. We have to take that possession, take those chances, take that individual coaching and turn it into goals scored at one end, whilst eliminating the annoying defensive mistakes we've made all season. Burnley should he a shoo in three points for us, the way we are playing, but they will massively fancy their chances against us at the back with Dunk missing.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
"I would take" is my way of posing an extreme alternative to what will happen in terms of performance and stating it would be acceptable to me if it got a result. Not only is it not long term, it's not how we'll play. But performance gets you nowhere. We have to take that possession, take those chances, take that individual coaching and turn it into goals scored at one end, whilst eliminating the annoying defensive mistakes we've made all season. Burnley should he a shoo in three points for us, the way we are playing, but they will massively fancy their chances against us at the back with Dunk missing.

I guess I just fundamentally disagree that performance gets you nowhere. It's the single most important step in building a successful team and everything will follow from that. A young and improving team will turn that into goals scored and defensive mistakes eliminated as they develop.

Yes, we have missed Dunk these past two games, no doubt.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
A young and improving team will turn that into goals scored and defensive mistakes eliminated as they develop.

Hopefully, but there's no guarantee. I'm sure that's what Wenger and Potchechino said for years.
We could keep playing well but not getting results which almost certainly lead to a lack of faith in the process, our better players wanting to leave and difficulty in replacing them.

I should add I am not suggesting we get rid of Potter

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Hopefully, but there's no guarantee. I'm sure that's what Wenger and Potchechino said for years.
We could keep playing well but not getting results which almost certainly lead to a lack of faith in the process, our better players wanting to leave and difficulty in replacing them.

I should add I am not suggesting we get rid of Potter

If these players were at their peak and making mistakes then I'd agree. I have faith in their improvement.

I also look at our youth and development set up and am confident we won't have as much difficulty replacing players as other teams

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here