Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Potter OUT!

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
What he says on telly will have nowt to do with what goes on behind the scenes.

Look at the dropping of three first teamers yesterday. People have been so taken in by Potter's mild mannered interviews they are making up ludicrous conspiracy theories about the three dropped and failing to see the bleeding obvious: it was simply a Potter decision; Potter is a tough ruthless manager prepared to drop players if they are not, in his opinion, right for the next game.

I totally agree with most on here. This a daft and totally unnecessary thread to be running so early in the season. Especially since this is the type of open expansive and brave tactics that everyone was screaming out for.

However, your last statement made me wonder about something. What was thinking behind Ryan not being right for that match ?

All outfield players you can just about justify a change due to a loss in form or for tactical reasons.

A goalkeeper it is usually very different. It is usually a loss of form or a mistake or due to giving other keepers game time in Cup Competition. It is rarely for tactical reasons.

Has the reason for the change been established ? I saw the match but not any interviews afterwards.

Ryan hasn't been in superb form but neither has he been in bad from. Keepers don't always affect tactics too greatly. They do a little but not to a great extent. So I am at a loss to work it why he didn't start the match.

I don't like to see Keepers dropped for no reason because I hate to see them lose the conference of their Manager . lt can drastically affect their confidence in future matches.

Last edited:

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I would argue that in most games this season we have been either equal to the opposition or better with only Everton and the second half against West Brom being the exception.

My main concerns at the moment are

1) we have created lots of chances but are not taking them.
2) we cannot go 90min without making a basic error or have a serious lapse of concentration and we are being punished for this
3) I am not sure GP really knows what our best 11 is yet and I don’t think the frequent rotations are helping with creating understanding between the players.
4) poor refereeing decisions are too often leaving us chasing games

Only 3 I would lay at Potters door and my overriding frustration is the regularity our players shoot themselves in the foot when we are performing well in games.

Good post. The combination of 1 and 2 is what concerns me the most. 4 is out of our control, unfortunately. 3 is a consequence of not signing big names, and the squad being more 'impressive' (ie comparatively) than the first 11.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I totally agree with most on here. This a daft and totally unnecessary thread to be running so early in the season. Especially since this is the type of open expansive and brave tactics that everyone was screaming out for.

However, your last statement made me wonder about something. What was thinking behind Ryan not being right for that match ?

All outfield players you can just about justify a change due to a loss in form or for tactical reasons.

A goalkeeper it is usually very different. It is usually a loss of form or a mistake or due to giving other keepers game time in Cup Competition. It is rarely for tactical reasons.

Has the reason for the change been established ? I saw the match but not any interviews afterwards.

Ryan hasn't been in superb form but neither has he been in bad from. Keepers don't always affect tactics too greatly. They do a little but not to a great extent. So I am at a loss to work it why he didn't start the match.

I don't like to see Keepers dropped for no reason because I hate to see them lose the conference of their Manager . lt can drastically affect their confidence in future matches.

There will be a reason. I doubt it will be disclosed. Potter isn't a nut case :thumbsup:

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003

It was started just after Spurs scored as a tongue in...Oh never mind, :stupid::shootself

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
I'd have apologised if we'd managed to get a point. But, once again, a worthless nice performance. Maybe you should consider becoming a fan of gymnastics or ice dancing? Take away the sticks with the net thing between them and a panel of judges might have awarded us that on passing.

a little harsh i think, if we had've cheated, more and better than them; we would've WON!

Last edited:

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014

if we had a keeper capable of "commanding" the box , we may well let in a far fewer

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
There is a dichotomy between the outrage shown at the club daring to charge £14.95 to watch a game on TV, when they've lost all matchday revenue and a huge amount of commercial revenue, and the demands for the club to spend even more on first team players.

But that's for another thread. My main point is that whilst spending another 50 million might get us another 8-10 points over this season, is that worth it at this stage? If we have enough to stay up regardless, what do those extra points get us in the grand scheme if things, 3 or 4 places and a little bit more prize money? Or is the money better invested elsewhere in the club in the here and now, so that it ends up being worth 15-20 points a season in the future? That's moneyball I guess.

and obvs. bloomy's favoured "punt"

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton

It’s not just about the saves they do or don’t make. A good solid confident keeper can inspire confidence in a teams defence. Ryan doesn’t save enough (someone posted some convincing stats from Sky on the Ryan thread, I believe the 2nd most shots conceded after Kepa), and every time the ball is swung into the box our team is at 6’s and 7’s. To me it was felt like any solid attempt on our goal nearly always led to one being conceded.

Matty is a great character. But this is elite football and Potters job is potentially on the line.

I think this has been an ongoing issue and despite what many here have tried to convince me otherwise, it looks to me like the club were in the market for a new number one keeper in the last couple of windows.

Sanchez has had excellent reports from his loan spell, looked good in the u23s, looked very assured and confident in the league cup, and signed a new deal in January. With Dunk out it added an extra layer of concern with Ryan. All these factors added into the fact that Potter has no problem putting faith in young players lead to this conclusion.

And I thought Sanchez looked like a very solid PL keeper on his debut. Utterly confident and commanding, and excellent distribution.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Just apparently incapable of dealing with bad attitudes in players other than by dropping them

That statement is clueless.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
That statement is clueless.

I don't have a clue what went on, I was making a throwaway comment based on the reports. If true a player he's managed for a year and a bit has become so arrogant Potter has chosen to drop from the matchday squad

for me the worrying signs are:
1) We may be in the same position as this time last year but we have less points
2) The PL is much more open this year and average teams are beating good teams but we arent....
3) All the way down to palace in 14th teams are averaging 1.5 points per game - and there is only 3points between them and 4th -good enough at the end of the season to be top 6 !! but below them we are already being cut adrift. To need two wins (and assume everyone above us loses!) to close the gap after just 7 games is worrying.

On the positives:
1) We are no longer being hailed as "anti-football" and most commentators love the way we play but just lack the killer instinct
2) We certainly have a squad good enough to get us out of trouble, with one caveat...

Personally, im holding my breath over the Burnley match. If we thrash them then all well and good. Lose and we will be in the relegation zone for the first time ever and then i could see our performances plummet.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

Perhaps he just felt that Sanchez was ready to have a run in the team to see if he could take over the jersey?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I don't have a clue what went on, I was making a throwaway comment based on the reports. If true a player he's managed for a year and a bit has become so arrogant Potter has chosen to drop from the matchday squad

Yeah, sorry that was a bit rude, but it is literally correct. None of us have a clue. The Albion is one of the most 'in house' clubs around. Interesting that none of the ususal 'ITK' contingent have posted anything, and all we have is a couple of newspaper reports that, if correct, must have been fed by a player talking to the papers, and I don't buy that.

Anyway, we live in interesting times....

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Whilst I don’t want Potter out I’m becoming concerned at the erratic team selections and general feeling coming out from the camp.

I understand Potter likes to be flexible and change formations etc but there is a little bit too much square peg/round hole going on for me and the moment and I’m sure that is reflecting in the performances.

White in midfield and Trossard playing as a central striker are the latest which I can’t get my head round ...... I’m all for adaptability but how can you expect to get the best out of players when they are being moved around consistently.

You might be able to do it when you have a top 6 squad and some star players but we are working in the fine margins to gain points and that means squeezing the best out of every players ability rather than them ‘doing a job’ in an unfamiliar position.

Granny on the wing

Sep 7, 2019
Whilst I don’t want Potter out I’m becoming concerned at the erratic team selections and general feeling coming out from the camp.

I understand Potter likes to be flexible and change formations etc but there is a little bit too much square peg/round hole going on for me and the moment and I’m sure that is reflecting in the performances.

White in midfield and Trossard playing as a central striker are the latest which I can’t get my head round ...... I’m all for adaptability but how can you expect to get the best out of players when they are being moved around consistently.

You might be able to do it when you have a top 6 squad and some star players but we are working in the fine margins to gain points and that means squeezing the best out of every players ability rather than them ‘doing a job’ in an unfamiliar position.

Ben White is the perfect player to take over the Stevens role IMO but are we saying we now do not need a holding midfielder ? Having said that i would always like to see Alzate playing as i think he very talented . He lost the ball in midfield against Everton and they scored but he is still a young player .

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here