Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Potter OUT!

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
I run a goal orientated business. If people don’t hit the goals I set them I get rid of them.

Would your bosses kick you out if you hadn’t achieved your yearly goals in month one?

Which goals is it that you think Potter isn’t hitting? (Apart from the big white ones, obviously).

What do you think his targets were last year? Do you not think they were improve the playing style and keep us up? Perhaps it should have been European qualification? How about this year?

If you really think about it, you know what you are saying is ridiculous. Just have some patience, we’ve played 7 games of a 38 game season and we’re two places above the relegation zone.

Have you given your staff the tools to do their jobs effectively though?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Have you given your staff the tools to do their jobs effectively though?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes. As have the Albion. It’s the middle of a global pandemic, nobody has exactly been splashing the cash. The squad is good enough, and Bloom probably feels he’s piled enough money into it by now. Fair enough.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
But Potter was hired to take those team on head on. Hughton's game against all but Man U was sit tight and do nothing. Hughton had a better record against Man U.

Again, the club's aim is to be a sustainable top ten team, and it's been communicated. It's becoming like those seasons when Paul Barber unfortunately used the phrase "Premier League Ready" and then it was held against him. 16th every season is what we were trying to avoid, and he'll not see out his contract if that's what we do.

We spent all summer laughing at Leeds but do you think they'd settle for 16th?

Nevertheless, you are correct that we've had some tough games and have mostly played well in them. I'm not in the Potter Out camp by any means, but I am in the "Potter needs better results". I would take six points over Burnley and Villa if we had 30% possession in both and the single winning goals both went in off Burn's backside. Play "nicely" in those games and get one point out of the two games in total and he'll be in trouble.

Are you saying they would sack Bielsa if they were 16th?

Don't want to start more Leeds chat.

I'd take 16th now if it were offered. I'm guessing that I'd be in the great majority.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
But Potter was hired to take those team on head on. Hughton's game against all but Man U was sit tight and do nothing. Hughton had a better record against Man U.

Again, the club's aim is to be a sustainable top ten team, and it's been communicated. It's becoming like those seasons when Paul Barber unfortunately used the phrase "Premier League Ready" and then it was held against him. 16th every season is what we were trying to avoid, and he'll not see out his contract if that's what we do.

We spent all summer laughing at Leeds but do you think they'd settle for 16th?

Nevertheless, you are correct that we've had some tough games and have mostly played well in them. I'm not in the Potter Out camp by any means, but I am in the "Potter needs better results". I would take six points over Burnley and Villa if we had 30% possession in both and the single winning goals both went in off Burn's backside. Play "nicely" in those games and get one point out of the two games in total and he'll be in trouble.

We are two wins off 10th. With 7 games played. 31 to go.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Yes. As have the Albion. It’s the middle of a global pandemic, nobody has exactly been splashing the cash. The squad is good enough, and Bloom probably feels he’s piled enough money into it by now. Fair enough.

Demonstrably false.

Though agree with everything else you are saying.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Demonstrably false.

Though agree with everything else you are saying.

OK, let me rephrase it. A lot less money was spent by Premier League clubs than usual over the summer.

And I still can’t understand why people think splashing the cash solves everything. If it did, we’d do it. I wonder how Fulham enjoyed their £150 million team the season before last. Or Villa last season?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Love Potter just every now and again to say on tv how the referee is shocking and again the bias is obvious. Show some aggression and call it as it is. Instead is bland crap just like Hughton and the hierarchy within the club. We need to grow some balls and get narky angry and it just be the pretty nice team that accepts everything.

What he says on telly will have nowt to do with what goes on behind the scenes.

Look at the dropping of three first teamers yesterday. People have been so taken in by Potter's mild mannered interviews they are making up ludicrous conspiracy theories about the three dropped and failing to see the bleeding obvious: it was simply a Potter decision; Potter is a tough ruthless manager prepared to drop players if they are not, in his opinion, right for the next game.

Reddleman

May 17, 2017
We’re both making assumptions on things we don’t know. The difference is that I’m also basing mine on facts that we do know.

1 win every 2 months.
24% win rate.

If that changes we’ll be ok if not then in 8 months time I’ll return here and call you a moron and question your professional/personal life.

His win record is poor over the last 12 months. During the slump
Last season he needed lockdown to drag us out of it. Overall his record is poor and you get no bonus points for playing well.

If you are basing your argument on facts how is it that you managed to be so wrong?

You say that ‘overall his record is poor’ and yet last season, his first, we got more points than we did in either of the first two seasons in the PL. We also scored more goals and won more away games than we had done in previous two seasons.

So not really that poor after all.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
OK, let me rephrase it. A lot less money was spent by Premier League clubs than usual over the summer.

And I still can’t understand why people think splashing the cash solves everything. If it did, we’d do it. I wonder how Fulham enjoyed their £150 million team the season before last. Or Villa last season?

Hmm ... again ... Villa 2 years of splashing crazy money has taken them from Championship also rans to probably top half prem team.

There's an obvious correlation between money spent and on field performance. Fulham were a bit of an outlier ... it's possible to spend badly .. and it's possible to spend well, but on average, the more you spend the better you do. Not saying Tony needs to get his wallet out or do one. The decision not to splurge on a Nunez or Watkins given the state of the world, was understandable, if a little frustrating.

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
If you are basing your argument on facts how is it that you managed to be so wrong?

You say that ‘overall his record is poor’ and yet last season, his first, we got more points than we did in either of the first two seasons in the PL. We also scored more goals and won more away games than we had done in previous two seasons.

So not really that poor after all.

He's won 3 PL games in 2020!

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Hmm ... again ... Villa 2 years of splashing crazy money has taken them from Championship also rans to probably top half prem team.

There's an obvious correlation between money spent and on field performance. Fulham were a bit of an outlier ... it's possible to spend badly .. and it's possible to spend well, but on average, the more you spend the better you do. Not saying Tony needs to get his wallet out or do one. The decision not to splurge on a Nunez or Watkins given the state of the world, was understandable, if a little frustrating.

We are the tenth highest spenders in Europe over the last 5 years. How is that not splashing the cash? We’ve hardly done things on a tight budget.

Nunez clearly didn’t want to come, and maybe Watkins didn’t either. You cant force someone to play for you!

AmexRuislip

Retired Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
What he says on telly will have nowt to do with what goes on behind the scenes.

Look at the dropping of three first teamers yesterday. People have been so taken in by Potter's mild mannered interviews they are making up ludicrous conspiracy theories about the three dropped and failing to see the bleeding obvious: it was simply a Potter decision; Potter is a tough ruthless manager prepared to drop players if they are not, in his opinion, right for the next game.

In this video, the GP press conference 'type' will never change.
He always praises his team, the opposition and shows positivity and never much negativity.
It's his way and IMO, should never change.
He's always striving to better his side, himself in his decisions and standing by them.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Here’s my message to the Potter critics and haters:

I would stick with GP even IF we go down. Genuinely think he’s a very talented and progressive young manager.

We have no divine right to stay in this division. I still think we’ll be safe anyway.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Tony Bloom's investment in the Albion at 30 June 2019 was £362 million.

Since then I would expect him to have put at least a further £60m into the club to cover its losses due to general trading and Covid-19 and it will be bigger still by the end of the season.

Anyone who think he's not backed the club, the players or the manager over his time at the club is a bellendimus maximus.

Bloom.jpg

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard

There is a dichotomy between the outrage shown at the club daring to charge £14.95 to watch a game on TV, when they've lost all matchday revenue and a huge amount of commercial revenue, and the demands for the club to spend even more on first team players.

But that's for another thread. My main point is that whilst spending another 50 million might get us another 8-10 points over this season, is that worth it at this stage? If we have enough to stay up regardless, what do those extra points get us in the grand scheme if things, 3 or 4 places and a little bit more prize money? Or is the money better invested elsewhere in the club in the here and now, so that it ends up being worth 15-20 points a season in the future? That's moneyball I guess.

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong

Since then I would expect him to have put at least a further £60m into the club to cover its losses due to general trading and Covid-19 and it will be bigger still by the end of the season.

Anyone who think he's not backed the club, the players or the manager over his time at the club is a bellendimus maximus.

View attachment 130028
I find it amazing that he has the amount of money he has (in cash it would seem), and nobody outside of his 'crew' knows where it comes from and how much he has. He must have an incredibly close knit and loyal team.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
If we accept GP's statement that the absence of Maupay and Connolly was tactical, does this suggest that he is attempting to best utilise the squad for a tight fixture schedule? Towards the end of last season we had a six pointer against Norwich on the Saturday after a Wednesday game at home to an on-fire Man Utd. Potter made changes for the midweek game and we got hammered, but got the result (scruffily) against Norwich. With the Burnley game on Friday and with Maupay not on the best of form against WBA last week, perhaps he really is wanting two riled up, well rested quick strikers to go at Burnley's defence. I would certainly expect him to be without Lallana, so one starting place is likely to be available. If this is the case, Friday will be the true test, although we did sound more competitive with a changed side against Spurs last night, than we looked against United in June. If it works, I'd expect to see more of it. It was a shame that AJ wasn't fit to play a part yesterday as he seems from his League Cup performances to be the most threatening of the attacking squad players.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

View attachment 130028

FFS, the legacy of Killer Whale lives on :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here