Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Potter OUT!

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
Happy to have been proved wrong tonight. Thought the team was mad but they played well and were done by a criminally inept ref and VAR team.

For what it’s worth, I wasn’t expecting anything other than a defeat. We’re playing a team expected to finish top four. Away. Who signed someone for a reportedly £0.5million a week (having furloughed staff) during the biggest economic collapse in 300 years, as the rest of the sport appears to be heading towards collapse. Oh, that and our away record against top 6 in four seasons is atrocious. Losing by a single goal is actually improvement in that light. The home draw against West Brom was far worse, our expectations were / are rightly higher.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
I was worried before kick off, but luckily I was wrong and Potter got it pretty right. I forgot just how good this team is. Our passing etc. Yes we need to take more chances, create more and be clinical, brush up in some basic defensive errors like the free header or Bernardo letting Kane go when he hit the post - BUT I think he got it largely right. We were tighter as we have been last 3 games overall. I don’t like players out of position like White but it gives more depth defensively. The system is working very well with 3 at the back. We undoubtedly should have more points on our performances. Well done to Potter for taking the risks.

Still think something fishy up about Ryan, Maupay and Connolly missing mind. Would have liked to have had Maupay up there instead of Trossard.

Oh and Adam Lallana is stupidly good for us & proving a top top signing.

Of course there is something fishy going on. No doubt about it

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Expect a lot of apologies after that performance.

I'd have apologised if we'd managed to get a point. But, once again, a worthless nice performance. Maybe you should consider becoming a fan of gymnastics or ice dancing? Take away the sticks with the net thing between them and a panel of judges might have awarded us that on passing.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
I am just capable of seeing a good performance and balancing that against who we play instead of simply looking at the score and then spewing the contents of my bladder all over my bed.

Yeah, don't ever take up coaching.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I am just capable of seeing a good performance and balancing that against who we play instead of simply looking at the score and then spewing the contents of my bladder all over my bed.

Then you’re not welcome on NSC :lol:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
The team was mad because we had no one in the box and no focal point until Welbeck came on. Their second was criminal. However, if possession, triangles and picking a team to confuse the opposition were the only things you were measured on we'd be Champions League.

Let's face it, no one has us down to win this before the team was announced, least of all me, but it looks suspiciously to me like he's had a barney with our two best strikers. Testy press conference, testy pre-match interview with question about Maupay dodged. No pre-match insta post from Maupay (always does normally). Not good at all. We were toothless for most of that.

I always warm to your post match way of thinking. You seem swayed by; the result, whether our defence did its job for 90 minutes and whether we tucked away a good proportion of chances.

Rather than; the vast array of other metrics on offer these days, or long phases of interplay and possession in the middle third of the pitch.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
I always warm to your post match way of thinking. You seem swayed by; the result, whether our defence did its job for 90 minutes and whether we tucked away a good proportion of chances.

Rather than; the vast array of other metrics on offer these days, or long phases of interplay and possession in the middle third of the pitch.

Thanks *blushes*

Those are the important things aren't they? And creating those chances with decent football, and trying to create them no matter who you are playing are what I most admire about Potter. I think he's also a great coach of individual players. But miss those chances and switch off at the back (as we have been) and you inevitably drop points at this level. You can get away with it in Sweden. You can get away with it in the Championship. You can't in the Premier League.

Today was something else though. It was the equivalent of a rugby team who has all the posession and territory after conceding a dubious opening penalty but fails to convert, having camped out in the 22 because the two quickest backs in the side aren't present - then gets done by a simple kick over the top and pass inside.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Are we too good to go down?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Thanks *blushes*

Those are the important things aren't they? And creating those chances with decent football, and trying to create them no matter who you are playing are what I most admire about Potter. I think he's also a great coach of individual players. But miss those chances and switch off at the back (as we have been) and you inevitably drop points at this level. You can get away with it in Sweden. You can get away with it in the Championship. You can't in the Premier League.

Today was something else though. It was the equivalent of a rugby team who has all the posession and territory after conceding a dubious opening penalty but fails to convert, having camped out in the 22 because the two quickest backs in the side aren't present - then gets done by a simple kick over the top and pass inside.

Big fan of rugby union, going back to the late 70’s. I often say to my son that football’s the cruelest sport where playing well, dominating, so very often bears no correlation to who wins. In rugby, it’s rewarded with the score ticking over.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
You know how we had a good old laugh about fielding a team made up entirely of centre backs.

I'm now pretty sure if GPott did:-

- They would play well.
- Look lite up top.
- Give away a stupid goal.
- Not get the rub of the green.
- Lose by the odd goal.
- Be 'too good to go down'.

This is life.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
I'd have apologised if we'd managed to get a point. But, once again, a worthless nice performance. Maybe you should consider becoming a fan of gymnastics or ice dancing? Take away the sticks with the net thing between them and a panel of judges might have awarded us that on passing.

:lolol:

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Are we too good to go down?

“We” (our team, the Albion) are very, very good. Our XIs on the pitch have played well for the most part of most of our games. We also have depth in our squad and a very good manager.

We are very likely to get enough points to stay up.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Love Potter just every now and again to say on tv how the referee is shocking and again the bias is obvious. Show some aggression and call it as it is. Instead is bland crap just like Hughton and the hierarchy within the club. We need to grow some balls and get narky angry and it just be the pretty nice team that accepts everything.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here